Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Is the game 200-250ms friendly?

LJRoosLJRoos Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Hello everyone,

Curious to know, is anyone playing at around 200-250ms? Any feedback on the experience?

EDIT: Sorry just to clarify, that's about the latency I get from South Africa to the EU (Cape Town gets it lower, where international undersea fibre optic cabling terminates, to around 170ms, which is insane given the distance!), we're the digital nosebleeds down here, some online games have no problem with this latency, but others, eh, not so much.

I remember I read somewhere that Starcraft 2 has a built in latency of 250ms, and you can see WOW still indicates an 'optimal/green' connection under (I think) 250ms (Might actually be 300ms), which is surprisingly high, although you're not exactly popping off headshots in RTS games and MMOs, I think their gameplay core has to be 'built around' this inherit latency though.

Anyways game looks rad, hope you guys triple down on the Eldritch-like themes, those rock.

Thank you.

Regards

Comments

• AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We are in prealpha still
    The best thing I can tell you is I have never seen any action combat game that was 250ms friendly.
  • @LJRoos I feel your pain - I play from Australia and playing on US servers usually gives me the same latency. I hope the combat is not tuned to be so fast-paced that it'll require super low latency.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ravudha wrote: »
    @LJRoos I feel your pain - I play from Australia and playing on US servers usually gives me the same latency. I hope the combat is not tuned to be so fast-paced that it'll require super low latency.

Australia will gets its own OCE servers.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DracusDracus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't mean to be mean, but even thought that ms is definitely playable in most or all games. People with 30 ms will for the most part have a slight advantage over you. Specially when it comes to aiming abilities.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    One thing is for sure, if you are playing with that level of latency, you would want to focus on tab combat over action combat.

If they develop tab combat properly, it should be able to account for that level of latency.
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Ravudha wrote: »
    @LJRoos I feel your pain - I play from Australia and playing on US servers usually gives me the same latency. I hope the combat is not tuned to be so fast-paced that it'll require super low latency.

Australia will gets its own OCE servers.

Yeah but some Aussies are part of US-based guilds
  • LJRoosLJRoos Member
    edited October 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, if you are playing with that level of latency, you would want to focus on tab combat over action combat.

If they develop tab combat properly, it should be able to account for that level of latency.

It's going to be interesting to see how the core of the gameplay is built to accommodate latency, in a perfect world all online games, even MMO RPGs would be geared from the ground up towards something like <30ms, but given the scope of these audiences, I think it makes sense to inherently design everything around a more lenient latency, given how variable things like end-user connectivity can be, especially with the amount of concurrent users a successful MMO can accumulate, and building the game around an extremely high demanding low latency might overrun your technical support capability very quickly.

This issue is not exclusive to distance of certain users, there are loads of extra factors that can pump latency, other concurrent users on a specific user's connection, wireless fluctuations, malware/spyware, background applications, if you demand an extreme entry cap for latency, you'll hear about the consequences of this decision down the line, a lot, you don't want to be stuck with immovable core components causing tremendous operational support expenses.

If we're going to go about golden standards, I think Blizzard's is probably the best, seems building for 250-300ms is a sweet spot.

The combat thing is interesting, I think it depends how much IO interaction you're offloading to the client vs the server, this balance may or may not introduce gaps for exploitation via hacking, I can only imagine that it's a super arduous balancing act to get right.