Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why machicolations MUST be implemented into AOC.

BlairBlair Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Machicolations are used to attack enemies that are hugging the walls of city's and castles. This is so they don't have time to break down gates, lift up ladders and hide from arrow fire. If machicolations are not put into the game, we will see ten's of players jumping ON TOP of the defensive wall to try and kill the mobs and players attacking the walls, defeating the purpose of the wall ramparts. (the top part) Thank you for your time and if you agree with me, please remember to like so the dev's can see this post.

HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES.
lewes_castle_machicolations.jpg?resize=1024%2C577&ssl=1
castle_gatehouse_raglan.jpg?resize=675%2C380&ssl=1
2621024_e12e4f4d.jpg

Comments

  • Options
    Oh, yes! I can see the strategies of where to attack, with whom
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oooh, this is cool!
    Makes sense
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I think these were taking directly out of a Shadiversity video. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

    U.S. East
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've been to the 2nd one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    While I can understand the sentiment behind the request, you make it sound as if players will have ladders and other wall climbing tools available and/or the ability to just do so on their own. If there are no ladders and they simply make the walls unscalable, then there will be no way for attackers to "jump on top of" the defensive walls (plus how does one jump 30'+ upwards? )

    Not trying to shoot down an interesting mechanic, only trying to keep siege mechanics from being overly complicated from the development side of things. Adding these would mean a whole new set of animations, possibly changing the art assets (that have probably already been done), etc. In my experience with games that have siege, usually the players can extend themselves far enough past the edge that they can get LOS directly below to hit all those pesky hiding enemies with ranged attacks.

    However.......there is nothing to say they can't allow some rogue clssses to scale walls and get inside the enemy's defenses to cause a bit of chaos. >:) Also not sure about say a mage's ability to teleport onto the ramparts, etc. Lots of things we don't know yet.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I think these were taking directly out of a Shadiversity video. xD

    MA, CHIC, OU, LA, TIOOOOOOOOOONNNSAA!
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    While I can understand the sentiment behind the request, you make it sound as if players will have ladders and other wall climbing tools available and/or the ability to just do so on their own. If there are no ladders and they simply make the walls unscalable, then there will be no way for attackers to "jump on top of" the defensive walls (plus how does one jump 30'+ upwards? )

    Not trying to shoot down an interesting mechanic, only trying to keep siege mechanics from being overly complicated from the development side of things. Adding these would mean a whole new set of animations, possibly changing the art assets (that have probably already been done), etc. In my experience with games that have siege, usually the players can extend themselves far enough past the edge that they can get LOS directly below to hit all those pesky hiding enemies with ranged attacks.

    However.......there is nothing to say they can't allow some rogue clssses to scale walls and get inside the enemy's defenses to cause a bit of chaos. >:) Also not sure about say a mage's ability to teleport onto the ramparts, etc. Lots of things we don't know yet.

    NOT the attackers, the defenders, will be forced to jump up on the wall edge to attack people and monsters taking cover. Regardless if they have siege ladders or not the walls will help the attackers if this is not implemented.
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited October 2020
    Blair wrote: »
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    While I can understand the sentiment behind the request, you make it sound as if players will have ladders and other wall climbing tools available and/or the ability to just do so on their own. If there are no ladders and they simply make the walls unscalable, then there will be no way for attackers to "jump on top of" the defensive walls (plus how does one jump 30'+ upwards? )

    Not trying to shoot down an interesting mechanic, only trying to keep siege mechanics from being overly complicated from the development side of things. Adding these would mean a whole new set of animations, possibly changing the art assets (that have probably already been done), etc. In my experience with games that have siege, usually the players can extend themselves far enough past the edge that they can get LOS directly below to hit all those pesky hiding enemies with ranged attacks.

    However.......there is nothing to say they can't allow some rogue clssses to scale walls and get inside the enemy's defenses to cause a bit of chaos. >:) Also not sure about say a mage's ability to teleport onto the ramparts, etc. Lots of things we don't know yet.

    NOT the attackers, the defenders, will be forced to jump up on the wall edge to attack people and monsters taking cover. Regardless if they have siege ladders or not the walls will help the attackers if this is not implemented.

    Oh, I understand now, sorry about that. I actually covered that in my post as well. Edging out to attack enemies below is quite a common tactic in the MMOs I've played (and am playing now). Really nothing new and about the only thing it would do is help defenders from falling off the edge (or possibly getting pulled over depending on class abilities)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited October 2020
    In one of the Rogue videos, it shows the Rogue character jumping up and climbing up the walls of a castle. So, it might be a possibility.

    One thing I always liked doing in ESO siege defences was sitting at the top with some vats of burning oil, and raining down burning death on any attackers below.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I think these were taking directly out of a Shadiversity video. xD

    7c6.jpg
  • Options
    +1 sooooo many MMOs get this wrong. Its so dam annoying.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I gotta admit, those castle features are cool. And they provide cover but let you attack people sieging you.
     
    Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Would love to see these as an option for defense.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    While I can understand the sentiment behind the request, you make it sound as if players will have ladders and other wall climbing tools available and/or the ability to just do so on their own. If there are no ladders and they simply make the walls unscalable, then there will be no way for attackers to "jump on top of" the defensive walls (plus how does one jump 30'+ upwards? )

    Not trying to shoot down an interesting mechanic, only trying to keep siege mechanics from being overly complicated from the development side of things. Adding these would mean a whole new set of animations, possibly changing the art assets (that have probably already been done), etc. In my experience with games that have siege, usually the players can extend themselves far enough past the edge that they can get LOS directly below to hit all those pesky hiding enemies with ranged attacks.

    However.......there is nothing to say they can't allow some rogue clssses to scale walls and get inside the enemy's defenses to cause a bit of chaos. >:) Also not sure about say a mage's ability to teleport onto the ramparts, etc. Lots of things we don't know yet.

    Can use this concept to put Murder holes at city or metro gate house to allow player to shoot and pour boiling oil or flammable oil from top.

    ESO have something similar at thier PVP area keeps and on top of interior fortresses' doors.
Sign In or Register to comment.