Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Skillchains and Magic Bursts and and other things from FFXI

Will Ashes be implementing some sort of skillchain and magic burst system from FFXI?

I always liked the system and know a lot of people list this as a highlight of the battle system of FFXI. It creates great potential for depth and creativity in possible approaches to various content, creates a natural synergistic system where all the melee and magic DPS have to work together to optimize overall damage output, and is just flat out cool and is a great excuse to throw in some sick looking animations.

While on topics related to FFXI:
1 - Is there anyone on the dev team who were major players of FFXI who are trying to influence things? I know it's pretty unlikely there would be any actual former FFXI devellopers because it's a Japanese company, but what about actual players. I know Steven goes on and on about Lineage 2 all the time, but I don't think I've ever heard the words "FFXI" come out of his mouth. Maybe he's mention Final Fantasy before but he was probably referring to FFXIV.

2 - What will the major primary levelling mechanic be like in Ashes? I really wish for the oldest school Everquest and FFXI approach of simply GRINDING mobs over and over with a full party of people with the classic tank dps healer setup. Solo exp should be INCREDIBLY difficult to get unless you are maybe 1 specific class. I don't like MMOs where just questing gives you a ton of EXP and things are incredibly easy to solo your way up the levels, it just feels wrong in so many ways.

I could write a whole essay on FFXI but I think I'll spare the forum and leave it at that.

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1: I always thought the skill chain system was great personally. I liked that that added a reward for coordinating skills. I don't think skill chains would be harmful in the slightest to AoC, but I have not heard anything about them. I would bet if Steven played FFXI, skill chains would be in the game. My gut tells me that we wont have anything like them.

2: We don't know for sure how leveling will be. They are saying that its going to take the average player like 45 days to cap, but that you are also not going to be grinding your eye balls out. To me that makes no sense, especially with the node system making worlds unique and zones unique. I don't see a middle ground between "There are enough quests to cap" and "You have to grind" with a 45day play time to cap expectancy. 45 days of quests would be insane. To put that in prospective, the average WOW and FFXIV player caps in one day with a new X-pack. TBH, I hope there are very very few quests and just a lot of finding the most profitable mobs to grind and competing for them. My gut tells me that there is going to be a lot of grinding.

One thing that may help you with your understanding of AoC. This game is a open world PvP game with no factions. That is an unescapable fact. Any L2 player will tell you that you were never safe. You could find the perfect grind spot and enjoy it for hours until the big fish that owns it logs on with their friends. I bring this up because that is a drastically different dynamic than FFXI. "PvP" in FFXI was really who could claim the mob faster. I when I speculate on the unknown with AoC, I am always thinking that the game will be like L2 more than anything. That may just be my personal bias though.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    The perception of not having to grind your eyeballs out for level cap is probably depended upon the view of the individual player.

"The developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if you play roughly 4-6 hours per day."
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling#Level_cap
    45 days of 4-6 hours per day as a target is probably going to be high for many casual players. It will also delay a multitude of maxed alts from hitting the server for months.

The current plan is to focus on group play. However, there will be content for all playstyles including solo play. I interpret this as the description above is for solo grinding and group grinding should change the pacing. It does look like groups can speed up leveling if grinding in areas for groups due to the group experience multiplier and improved survivability preventing death penalties. Low DPS classes will probably benefit more from the increase.

"Experience gained from killing mobs and bosses when in a group is divided by the number of party members based on damage done by the group (compared to any other parties attacking that mob or boss).[10]
    A multiplier is then applied that increases with the number of party members. The multiplier is between 1.3 and 1.4 (approximately).[11]
    Experience gained is not affected by looting rights.[10]
    Experience gained from quest rewards is not shared with other party members.[11]"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling#Experience
  • Options
    I remember self-skill chaining as a Blue Mage....

The skill chains & magic bursts were fun in FFXI. It's a great way to get a party to really participate and coordinate together in a battle. Fun times! And satisfying when you see that giant burst of colors! And the sweet-sweet damage numbers! <3

/sigh.....
    Sometimes I really miss Vana'Diel.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    @Xez

Remember that feeling when the Empress Hairpin FINALLY drops from the Valkurm Emperor?! :D

This Class system of AoC reminds me of the Subjob system in FFXI; which was my FAVORITE part of the game really. I loved experimenting with all the possible Main Job/Sub Job combinations and finding my favorite little niche to play in.

BST/DNC was amazing! [Beast Master / Dancer]

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL