Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animal Taming skill

I heard that there will be animal taming and stuff in one of the streams if I recall unless I am going insane of course. What do you guys think they will do with it? I think it will be great just imagine some players who use the skill to tame bison and stuff and breed them for there meets and leathers to sell to other players using animal husbandry. I'm also imaging that this would be great for rangers as well wanting to tame the best dino or bear like creature they can find as an animal companion. Also I wonder if you can tame animals in the world that could be used as mounts. So many possibilities.

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There's already quite a bit of information about breeding mounts (including from certain wilder beasts)
    You can read more here:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Animal_husbandry#Breeding_mechanics
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here's a link to everything we know so far about Animal Husbandry
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Thanks so much friends its greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No worries! Welcome to the AoC community :)

Sounds like animal husbandry is going to be a big part of why you play haha
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm pretty excited about taming as well - didn't really consider it as a way to get meat, but that'd be interesting if it's possible. I picture it as you tame normal animals first, like horses, then the more mythical and rare creatures when you get to higher levels.

The thing I'm most curious about is its longevity.

Other professions sell consumables, get higher-tier recipes in expansions, or facilitate repairs to stay in demand. What's going to keep taming/animal husbandry in demand in a few years when people have built up their collection of mounts...or how long will it take to get those rare high-tier mounts through taming+breeding.

Also, how often will players troll tamers by announcing fake sightings of rare creatures the same way people troll Pokemon Go players...
  • Options
    AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ravudha wrote: »

Other professions sell consumables, get higher-tier recipes in expansions, or facilitate repairs to stay in demand. What's going to keep taming/animal husbandry in demand in a few years when people have built up their collection of mounts...or how long will it take to get those rare high-tier mounts through taming+breeding.

My guess is something in the direction of Ultima Online. Mostly only the older ones of us remember that game so i try to describe it a little.
    As many other things, taming in UO was kind of "out of control", at least when i played it about 20 years ago.
    You were not only able to tame something like a wolf or a bear but even Dragons. With "out of control" i mean that you were able to go alone with your "pet" in the deepest hardest dungeon and kill everything there. Your Dragon was killing everything while you were standing behind it a healed it.

The big difference to games like WoW was that when your wolf or bear or dragon was dead, then it was really dead. There was no new summoning in 5 seconds, because thats not a summoned daemon but a living creature, and there was no ressurection for it. What does that mean? Well... if you loose your pet, you have to tame or to buy a new one and because of this there was always the "supply and demand" of a self-sustained market between the players.

So if your animals can REALLY die, and you want that special animal back, than you need that special tamer with his breeding program.

To be fair, i dont think it will be like that, because in the videos you can see that you can put away your mount so i think you will be able to put other anaimals away too, and summon them again. In UO when you dismounted, then the horse was standing behind you and still could die.

So what could be another reason?
    One little point could be to breed livestock and butcher them to get special meat that gives a higher bonus buff on something. If you have to kill them, then you have to tame new ones.

Maybe the fighting pets are different to mounts, so that a fghting pet can die. I am not sure if we already saw a tamed or summoned pet in any of the videos. If thats possible, then it would be good for the market and for the tamers but how do you want to balance that to a summoner? If a summoner looses his pets, he/she summons them again.

To be honest i am not sure in which direction IS wants to go with taming and breeding.
  • Options
    I'm imagining the breeding of horses to be our first step into the frozen lasagne industry.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

Its been said somewhere that your mount can die? but that a potion can bring it back to life quicker? Perhaps that might be an item tamers can create?

Its also said that when special mounts 'drop' than you need someone with skill to like 'get' it or something?? I've no idea how that works.

There are a number of ways things might progress depending on how advanced the genetic traits are etc. There could be potential to keep breeding for faster and faster mounts over time (I personally would not like this, seeing as how such a system would make it impossible to have new players actually get into the market of mount breeding without some huge buy in).

Some top tier mounts might not live forever in the same ways as the big tier 3 mounts?

Mounts might not be account wide, so people will always need mounts for their new alts.

Also, things might just get added to the game slowly over time. Adding in knowledge of how to tame other creatures from drops, or some kind of node research, etc.

• Options
    There is an RNG factor to the traits and stats of the mount, unless I misread. So the Artisan Animal Husbandry(ers? ists?) may be able to stay in demand as their ability to provide the best stats for a mount of a specific rarity increases.

I'm also interested about the angle of breeding livestock and how the meat harvested will affect its use in other parts of the game.

There's also breeding mounts to use as certificates for Caravans, and from what i've read/heard so far Caravans will be around for the long haul.

I hope that the Animal Husbandry profession is useful for a long time, because I am going to do whatever is in my power to hatch the first dragon egg!
  • Options
    StewBad wrote: »
    I hope that the Animal Husbandry profession is useful for a long time, because I am going to do whatever is in my power to hatch the first dragon egg!

Race ya! :D
  • Options
    I haven't read a peep about Animal Husbandry, but I'm going to assume I know everything about it! Therefore; I'm going to breed a beaver with a duck! And make a Platypus!! Then I'm going to equip it with some boots, so I can have a Platypus-in-Boots.

Where's my coffee?! I swore I set it right here!

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    I haven't read a peep about Animal Husbandry, but I'm going to assume I know everything about it! Therefore; I'm going to breed a beaver with a duck! And make a Platypus!! Then I'm going to equip it with some boots, so I can have a Platypus-in-Boots.

Platypus-In-Boots.jpg
  • Options
    Amma wrote: »

My guess is something in the direction of Ultima Online. Mostly only the older ones of us remember that game so i try to describe it a little.
    As many other things, taming in UO was kind of "out of control", at least when i played it about 20 years ago.
    You were not only able to tame something like a wolf or a bear but even Dragons. With "out of control" i mean that you were able to go alone with your "pet" in the deepest hardest dungeon and kill everything there. Your Dragon was killing everything while you were standing behind it a healed it.

The big difference to games like WoW was that when your wolf or bear or dragon was dead, then it was really dead. There was no new summoning in 5 seconds, because thats not a summoned daemon but a living creature, and there was no ressurection for it. What does that mean? Well... if you loose your pet, you have to tame or to buy a new one and because of this there was always the "supply and demand" of a self-sustained market between the players.

So if your animals can REALLY die, and you want that special animal back, than you need that special tamer with his breeding program.

To be fair, i dont think it will be like that, because in the videos you can see that you can put away your mount so i think you will be able to put other anaimals away too, and summon them again. In UO when you dismounted, then the horse was standing behind you and still could die.

So what could be another reason?
    One little point could be to breed livestock and butcher them to get special meat that gives a higher bonus buff on something. If you have to kill them, then you have to tame new ones.

Maybe the fighting pets are different to mounts, so that a fghting pet can die. I am not sure if we already saw a tamed or summoned pet in any of the videos. If thats possible, then it would be good for the market and for the tamers but how do you want to balance that to a summoner? If a summoner looses his pets, he/she summons them again.

To be honest i am not sure in which direction IS wants to go with taming and breeding.

I played UO and you got it right but not sure you explained it well.

In UO taming:
    You start off with around 40 different skills you could learn, you can only master 7 of them. So as a tamer when you start out, you can only tame really low level creatures like rats or birds, then you can work your way up to higher level animals and creatures like Wyrms or Dragons.

People could tame and trade their animals if you had a character with the right amount of magic or taming. IE: a warrior who didn't have any taming experience could only purchase a horse or llama. While another tamer or mage could buy a dragon, kiran or nightmare mount with no issues.

Thes mounts could fight for you at all times by simply clicking on a person or creature or text commands. Anyone could kill your pets.

One of the best parts of taming was it was a virtual supply and demand market where everybody always needed a mount, unless you had the veteran reward where you could get a Ethereal mount that never died even if you were PK'e, it always went back to your inventory.

Honestly, seeing Steven have like 30 mounts in his bag is not really realistic...mounts should be present at all times and should be killable at all times. That's the only way to insure a supply and demand market for animal husbandry.
    xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options
    @daveywavey

OMG SIR!!! You are a GOD!! <3

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    mounts should be present at all times and should be killable at all times. That's the only way to insure a supply and demand market for animal husbandry.

It'd help to keep Animal Husbandry relevant, but it'd also take a lot more resources to keep every player's mount active and moving at all times.
  • Options
    StewBad wrote: »
    There's also breeding mounts to use as certificates for Caravans, and from what i've read/heard so far Caravans will be around for the long haul.

I had totally forgot about that. This will be pretty huge and a really nice use for poorly statted mounts.
  • Options
    Honestly, seeing Steven have like 30 mounts in his bag is not really realistic...mounts should be present at all times and should be killable at all times. That's the only way to insure a supply and demand market for animal husbandry.

I think it would be really cool from an rpg perspective if mounts weren't "put away" and persisted in the world and I do think it's silly that you can just put a mount in your bags or in your pocket. However having your mount being killed is not a fun mmo mechanic. Imagine you're way up in the mountains killing goats and a random player comes by, kills your mount, then runs off on his mount. Now you have to walk all the way back out of the mountains to go to the village to get a new mount. This is basically a grief mechanic imo.

I tried to research about this topic, as I know Steven has mentioned mounts being killed, but I couldn't find any information online.