Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

From 8K to 144K Refresh Rate - The View Versus the PVP Kill

skafftarussskafftaruss Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
My question is? Will Intrepid ever go beyond the 60 fps older standard. Particularly with PVP that I think requires at least a 120 refresh rate. How will Intrepid support PVP with greater frame rate response time? Simple questions ... Simple answers please.

Comments

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2020
    How will Intrepid support PVP with greater frame rate response time?

Well, you see....

Simple questions ... Simple answers please.
    Oh, ok.

Simple answer: With hard work, intelligent design, and lots of testing.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Simple answer you don't see 4k you sure as hell can't see 8k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNBiAV4UnM
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    ^4k is about resolution. I think op was more interested in screen refresh rate?

If AoC is aiming for a time-to-kill of 30-60 seconds, anything more than 60fps seems excessive?
    In FPS games, death is usually one click away so everyone is trigger happy - so 144Hz makes sense.

That said, if we get a deep combat sytem with skills that require reaction time to respond to, then UnrealEngine4 is one of the BEST engines for supporting high frames per second settings.

The only other game genre that really makes use of refresh rates is the Racing game genre - I don't think we'll be moving at extreme speeds in AoC?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I have to agree, high refresh rates are essential for FPS and racing games (and maybe a few other niche genres), but is not as important for an MMO.

It's nice to have, for sure, but not essential.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    144Hz maybe, but not 144KHz as suggested in the title.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Atama
    Did not notice until you pointed out! hahaha

I mean, at those refresh rates I guess they could leave out the epilepsy disclaimer?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @skafftaruss
    It is not up to intrepid, It is up you your own set up. Unless they purposely limit what display options we get.
    I would expect if you had a setup with a 16k display @250Hz and the mad horse power to run it, you should be covered.

I think the real question we should be asking is "What is the expected latency?". To which there is no reason to suggest that the game will expect higher internet speeds than the standard MMO.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    apoc supported >60fps, so theres no reason to expect the mmo to be locked imo.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    I have to agree, high refresh rates are essential for FPS and racing games (and maybe a few other niche genres), but is not as important for an MMO.

It's nice to have, for sure, but not essential.

I think this will greatly depend on the hybrid combat. If Intrepid wants action skills to have a more FPS feel then we'll want decent refresh rates even if not on par w/ what you want in a Valorant match.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's all about ashes to me. 1GB provider. Given the cpu and graphics card can support with no bottle necks. All else being equal. How about a 27" monitor, 144Hz, 1440 PPI, gsynch/freesynch, 4ms delay. OR a 27" monitor, 240Hz, 1080 PPI, gsynch/freesynch, 1ms delay. It seems Intrepid has this balance of rich graphics and PVP first shooter hybrid action. What say you - pick one please? Thanks @bloodprophet. Wish I could do a poll here. Perhaps @LieutenantToast can refer this subject to Intrepid to advise on the pros and cons of this conundrum? Gracias.

The biggest issue to trying to pick a rig and peripherals now is that at best guess we're 2-3 years out from launch. By then 4k could be far more affordable, Nvidia could be announcing the 4080ti, ultrawide could be a standard...etc.

2-3 years is an eternity in PC parts so if you're picking gear just for AoC then I would say grab what works and is affordable now and then start putting money into a jar and get ready to build a mega rig for launch.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Actually the greatest limit is going to be the servers Ping rate, not your setup. Active PVP requires a constant flow of information from multiple players to the home server at the fastest possible refresh rate so that players will see damage being done instantaneously and can react according to that information. However, If a server is overload with too much information from multiple sources simultaneously, the server will bottleneck and instead of a constant stream, will send out large packets of information all at once. if you have ever watched a WoW stream you know exactly what I am talking about. Your rig could be a potato and get like 20 FPS, but as long as the information you are receiving is being received at the same rate as the guy with the God rig getting 1k FPS you could still (theoretically) play with just as much information as the guy with the God rig getting 1k FPS and play around your own rigs limitations. Of course, your own individual distance from the home server as well as any other internet limitations you may have might affect gameplay, but that's a difference of usually 20-30 MS and in a MMO should not make that much of a difference except in very niche scenarios.

TLDR Intrepid should focus on making sure we don't run into the WoW bottlenecking scenario in Open World PVP. If they can do that then all should be fine no matter what parts your using as long as your using whatever the base requirement to run the game is.
  • Options
    Hiya - if we're talking just from a pure frame rate perspective (which is what it appears the OP's question is about), there weren't any forced FPS caps/limits in place during Apocalypse testing - though some folks may recall that you could set an optional frame rate limit for yourself if you liked.

In terms of testing that performance from a client perspective as well as keeping latency in mind, that will all be something we look for your continued feedback on in our upcoming test sessions <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Just reading through this topic.

Higher framerate does in fact impact MMORPGs as well. It's not as crucial as for FPS games, but a higher framerate might as well help you survive in some situations or launch an attack a bit sooner, resulting in overall higher DPS.
    EternalFliPSignature.png
    Eternal Guild
    ( Web | Discord )