Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Divine node mayor monopoly

I've made similar post about economic node and people helped me out and corrected my worries. My worry here is if divine mayor is picked by someone who's done the most service quests, then wouldn't the guy with the most service quest continue to be at the top? unless there's some catch up mechanic, if the guy is going full time service questing.

Comments

• Options
    If they're going full-time service questing, then they deserve to keep it. If they slack off, the guy right behind them will take it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It could be that every time the mayor is elected the count would go back to zero.
    I believe that these service quests are just repeatable dailies or weekly quests.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    From the impressions I've been getting, being the Mayor of any node requires a LOT of work and constant maintenance. So, if someone is dedicated enough to the roll, then they probably deserve to keep it. And are likely the best to keep it, because they have so much time and care invested.

But, as others have mentioned, if their dedication begins to decline...well, other devotees will be on standby to pick up the pieces and have a try for themselves. ^_^

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    is there a catch up mechanic? cause i'm sure there's gonna be multiple people going for it, but only one can get it.
  • Options
    I don't suppose we'll know until we see it in action.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    @BVerse hopefully not.

The hardest working player should get it, don't diminish their effort with stupid catch up mechanics.
    If other players want to get it, then they should have to work just as hard as the person did who was first in their service quests.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would assume it isn't a cumulative total, but a per election cycle count.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I would think cumulative. because if it resets and there isnt much quests anymore outside of dailies - then we will have multiple ties or someone brand new to the server came in, did all the dailies + the original quests that all the other veterans have already turned in.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ventharien wrote: »
    I would assume it isn't a cumulative total, but a per election cycle count.

This is what I would assume as well.

I also wouldn't assume it is all quests from the node that add to this, but only specific tasks
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The way I see it there are 3 potential ways that they can go about doing the Divine mayor system and each have their pros and cons:

1. Pure cumulative
    Pros: players with the most time invested in a given node should have the most benefit of that node and honest deserve to be top spot.
    Cons: first come first serve, the person to first arrive to divine node will likely become defacto leader of the node. this may disincentivize other players from contributing to the node and thus the node will take longer to upgrade. additionally the first arriving players might build up such a lead that they become defacto mayor for months on end.
    Possible Fix: make sure that the time investment per day makes it so that it shows that the player who is in charge is actually really dedicated to the node. 4 hours of dailies with a 10 hour long weekly quest seems appropriate, potential through in some player diplomacy type quests so that the top player is incentivized to help other players thus people won't feel as bad that the person who is in charge actually is in charge. Also makes it less likely that players who are assholes will stay in charge because other divine players won't help them. (to be honest, I think this type of time requirement should be baseline to be mayor of any node (except science, cause thats pure democracy))
    2. Monthly cumulative (election reset)
    Pros: again players who invested the most time into the node for the given node are rewarded, atleast for that month.
    Cons: as mentioned if no limitations are put in place after the first month of elections, noobs can potentially take control of the node through doing leveling religious quests. Additionally, players who put alot of effort into upgrading a node during the first month will feel cheated if they are not necessarily rewarded for upgrading it to tier 5 or 6 because they are now busy doing other things.
    Possible Fix: After the first month of release. require that players must be max level to be mayor of a node and only experience after reaching max lvl is counted towards an election. I believe this fixes most of those problems with the monthly system.
    3. Degrading system
    Pros: Players who first arrive to a node will be rewarded, however, unlike with option one, they will still have to invest time to maintain their lead, instead of just building a huge pile of XP and be able to sit on it.
    Cons: this actually has the opposite effect of the Pure Cumulative system, in that players who first arrive to the node will not want to build up the node as they know that their experience will degrade over time.
    Possible fix: the system itself is a fix, as it makes the node highly competitive as people will compete for those very slight edges in xp.

Personally I'd go with option 3 as long as the time requirement is there, hardcore players will be rewarded, and the degrade system in itself is a catch up mechanic if say a new player after 3 months of grinding will hit the degrade point and become part of the upper echelon of the religion. WoW classic PVP has a similar system (if you discount the botting)
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think regardless of node type, the mayor of a monopoly should get a skin to look like this guy.

rich-uncle-pennybags-clipart-5.png

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    noobs can potentially take control of the node through doing leveling religious quests.
    You are assuming there will be leveling quests that count towards mayor of religious nodes.

That is not a safe assumption to make.

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    I think regardless of node type, the mayor of a monopoly should get a skin to look like this guy.

rich-uncle-pennybags-clipart-5.png

just give him different types of hats for each node

like a pope hat for divine nodes a full plate helmet for military and a graduation hat for science
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really hope there aren't traditional "dailies", big ole time sink imo. and for why? I also believe that the system should be cumulative. I would rather have to hunt down whatever quests that are pertinent to religious nodes for credit than doing a boring daily that is most likely over farmed.
  • Options
    I really hope there aren't traditional "dailies", big ole time sink imo. and for why? I also believe that the system should be cumulative. I would rather have to hunt down whatever quests that are pertinent to religious nodes for credit than doing a boring daily that is most likely over farmed.

I would be surprised if it were outright dailies, but I would expect it to be repeatable quests/tasks of some form.

What ever it is, it absolutely will be nothing more than a time sink - which is all MMO's are anyway.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    If they're going full-time service questing, then they deserve to keep it. If they slack off, the guy right behind them will take it.

yep i agree with you
    854168_cannonbreed_dark-souls-bonfire.gif?f1553090073
  • Options
    @Noaani and if you actually read in my potential fixes, you would see that after the first month of the server going live they could limit it to max level. Of course the first month the mayor should be whatever level because everyone is going to be leveling up. As mentioned in the Wiki "The developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if you play roughly 4-6 hours per day.[7][8]" unless you are suicidal or no-life it your not reaching max level in the first month.
  • Options
    👀 Some great theories in here so far in terms of how the leader of a divine node might best show their dedication and devotion over time!

While this will likely be something we share further details on as we release more information on the divine node type specifically, I might also recommend bringing your original question to an upcoming live stream Q&A session so our team can dive in further in the meantime!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    TitwoodTitwood Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Testing
  • Options
    @Noaani and if you actually read in my potential fixes, you would see that after the first month of the server going live they could limit it to max level. Of course the first month the mayor should be whatever level because everyone is going to be leveling up. As mentioned in the Wiki "The developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days if you play roughly 4-6 hours per day.[7][8]" unless you are suicidal or no-life it your not reaching max level in the first month.

Why limit it to that?

Level is not an inherent requirement of leadership, so why make it one?

The leader of a religious node - at least a level 5 or 6 one - will not be earning that position by themselves. They will have others helping them along with the tasks needed - just as the leader of every other high level node will have (scientific nodes will have entire guilds voting for the same player, economic nodes will have guilds pooling resources in to one player, military nodes will have guilds fighting to keep one player alive).

If a level 30 character has the friends necessary to win a divine nodes leadership competition, more power to them. They didn't do it alone, and so obviously there is a group of people there that think that player is worth following.

If the requirements for node leadership carried over from month to month, it would mean that after a while, the person that had stayed in the node the longest was essentially undesputed king of said node.

It needs to reset at the end of each month.
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited November 2020
    I like the idea of the counter returning to 0 every election period. If election periods are even going to be a thing for every node type. That way it's more in line with other nodes in how much they have to maintain while also giving other people a chance to usurp him.

If it doesn't reset at all then it might be too much power to one person if they constantly maintain it. I think you should have a fair chance to win it without having to war a node. Within reason. There isn't really anything fair about how economic nodes are structured, but it's still fair since everyone has the ability to succeed in the economy.

Divine nodes do seem to lack the limiting factor other nodes possess. So resetting the count every election period would put it at that level needed.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    noobs can potentially take control of the node through doing leveling religious quests.
    You are assuming there will be leveling quests that count towards mayor of religious nodes.

@Noaani Personally, I'd hope that Divine Tasks for the Mayoral election won't provide any EXP or Gold at all. These should be done out of devotion to the Node, not personal gain. 0 rewards for the players itself would mean that only people who truely want to be mayor will do them.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd like to see a system, where about 2/3 to 3/4 of the accumulated Devotion gets removed each month.

This would primarily value the tasks done within the current month, while providing some importance to the past month, little importance to the month before that and a very minor influence to the month 3 months ago.
    I don't think it should completely reset, as it will result in all the devotion farmed in the past being meaningless, making them an essential waste of time if you haven't gotten the Mayor Position.
    A system with partial removal, would also reward those, that consistently put effort into the progression of the node, instead of those that simply nerded out for a month.

Example with 3/4 retention:

First month you farm 100 Devotion by the end of the electoral cycle.

Next month, you'll already start out on 25. Farming another 83 within the electoral cycle = 108 Total.

The following month you'd start with 108*25 = 27 Devotion

This would essentially result in the devotion colleced within the current month being worth 100%, within the past month 25%, within the month before that 6,25%, the month before that 1,5%, the month before that 0.4 % and the month before that 0.1%.

Which reduces the value of the task done the further they lie in the past.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

Noaani Personally, I'd hope that Divine Tasks for the Mayoral election won't provide any EXP or Gold at all. These should be done out of devotion to the Node, not personal gain. 0 rewards for the players itself would mean that only people who truely want to be mayor will do them.
    That is what I am hoping for as well.
  • Options
    DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I would be surprised if it were outright dailies, but I would expect it to be repeatable quests/tasks of some form.

What ever it is, it absolutely will be nothing more than a time sink - which is all MMO's are anyway.

I've givin this a bit of thought and I would rather see a weekly rather than a daily. Also, if the weekly was on type of carousel that rotated through various quests, maybe even toss a few seasonal quest slots in also would add more variety. I guess the idea of a rotating carousel weekly would let the dev's create a more meaningful journeys across verra. This could take the course of days completing while journeying, rather than stagnant grind.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Agree. Yet, are all quests in the node taken into account or limit to certain type of quests? I think that would be depending on the quest generating system, if the quests in the game is infinite (in the case where the number of quests which completed by hardcore 24-hours player is less than the new quests which will be generated everyday due to node progression) then there's no reason to include the daily quests in the calculation.

The idea of cycle is very sensible, you will not want the mayor of the node to change daily or hourly. If having or more toons achieving same questpoints at the cycle due time, then system can create a special quest for mayor candidates to race.
  • Options

I've givin this a bit of thought and I would rather see a weekly rather than a daily.
    We had a discussion about this a few years ago on the forums, and almost everyone was completely opposed to any form of dailies - and it seems Intrepid agree with that. This is why I would be surprised if there were daily quests/tasks even for something as optional as node leadership contests.

Back when we had the discussion, I was a fan of the idea of weekly tasks rather than daily. Even if the task itself is exactly the same, and even if you are able to do it 7 times in a week, the fact that you are not missing out if you don't log in for a day or two (due to wanting to take your significant other out for the night, having other hobbies or even wanting to play another game on occasion) you are not punished at all by the game.

To me, this is important.