Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: blessings from the gods

YuquiyuYuquiyu Member
edited November 2020 in General Discussion
hey wassup guys! back at it again kekw

was reading through random discussions and i came across Xez and his godly powers bestowed upon the chosen ones thread
not a lot of detail was given apart from the sword in stone and i don't think godly weapons would be healthy for the game!

so i decided to dive deeper into another thought i had that's similar to it but accessible to everyone

blessings! blessings would be temporary buffs received from the gods which would give certain effects depending on the nature of tasks completed (more info on where this task part came from towards the end of the post) and last a certain amount of time

how blessings are given out and and how long they would last has a lot a variety aswell!
for example the system could be worked as a daily/weekly/monthly type thing with each category of blessing going up in length even more depending on which it came from
for example daily blessings could last 1-2 hours while weekly blessings could last around 24 hours

blessings could range in effects from 2-5% more damage
to 10% faster health regeneration when outside of combat
there is a lot of possibilities when it comes to it but i had a system in mind

tasks given out at holy wells in nodes village and up would give the player 4 options

an extermination task (this task would usually require the player to exterminate problematic creatures around the village)

a general help task (completing a random objective usually being along the lines of helping the construction of a building)

an experience task (a task that directly helps the development of the node by giving players the objective of earning a set amount of xp for the node)

a proving task (a task influenced by the players religion which would grant a size able buff but be much more difficult to complete)

options 1, 2, 3 would be tasks for all blessing categories (daily, weekly, monthly) with proving tasks being a monthly task

in what nodes holy wells are present ill leave up to you guys to discuss! but i would really love some feedback on this idea as i think it could be a minor but relatively useful mechanic that encourages players to improve the QOL in nodes!
854168_cannonbreed_dark-souls-bonfire.gif?f1553090073

Comments

• Options
    Guild Wars had temporary blessings that you bought from a shrine and lasted until you left the area you'd bought it.

You'd go to the shrine, kneel, and an avatar of the god would appear, and you'd get to pick your blessings.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Guild Wars had temporary blessings that you bought from a shrine and lasted until you left the area you'd bought it.

You'd go to the shrine, kneel, and an avatar of the god would appear, and you'd get to pick your blessings.

that sounds very interesting
    but i feel like AoC would benefit more if it was task based due to the nature of the game
  • Options
    Possibly. Maybe it could be from a temple/shrine/etc, and you get to pick which of the pantheon you'll take the blessing from.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Possibly. Maybe it could be from a temple/shrine/etc, and you get to pick which of the pantheon you'll take the blessing from.

maybe. sounds interesting
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can see this being a thing in ashes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I enjoy little additions like this being added to Verra. It enriches the game and connects players even deeper to the world & lore. Since the Gods/Goddesses will play an active roll in Verra, I imagine that Intrepid has fun plans similar to this. Especially considering that there are religious nodes that can be built up.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    I enjoy little additions like this being added to Verra. It enriches the game and connects players even deeper to the world & lore. Since the Gods/Goddesses will play an active roll in Verra, I imagine that Intrepid has fun plans similar to this. Especially considering that there are religious nodes that can be built up.

indeed :D
  • Options
    I'm ok with the idea of blessings as long as it correlates with the task and is temporary. I don't want a situation where if I want to pvp and get 5% bonus dmg I have to go gather for 15 minutes just to min-max to be competitive. As long as they're nice to have, but not essential, and correlate with the action I'm ok with it. Like doing a gathering task grants you increased gathering speed. Killings x mobs in an area grants you bonus xp, loot rate, or etc. Killing x amount of players give you a slight boost in pvp stats etc. I think 30mins to an hour is good.
  • Options
    Beware ye of re-creating an old MMORPG trap: the Buff Wars!

Medic buffs in Star Wars: Galaxies. Don't have them? Don't bother going and doing ANYTHING, before you go and grab them from a buff-bot. Entertainer buffs made sense, though, in that it was a single buff.

While the pump-up-a-buff concept works, it's gotta have some well-tested wear-down and decay times, for the PvP'ers.

It'll be a good sign, once we start seeing interview and update videos specifically about the Divine Nodes; It'll mean they're getting close to completing the meat-and-bones of the game, prob something like 2 1/2 years, from now!
  • Options
    For PLAYER ABILITIES?

Something like a Divine Favor system might be a good idea: Favors you can call upon from your god, depending on how devout and adept your character is. Once-per-battle abilities come to mind. Not sure how to balance that with a PvP system, though.

For PLAYER CITIES?

Would love to see a Divine Metropolis be able to set the weather / weather patterns over itself and neighboring Nodes. A Blessing/Blight could be applied to neighboring nodes, granting either better or worse yields from the local Freeholds' resource harvestors and capacity - a great reason for neighboring nodes to want to suppress and fight a Divine Node's influencers and citizens.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    An interesting idea for this would be to have a questline of various deeds that fill up a bar, eventually alllowing you to go and be granted a powerful boon for some time by a god of your choosing. This could be a thing in the divine nodes as an alternative avenue for favor building, rather than using it to try and become the mayor.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu