Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Minigames in AoC?

YuquiyuYuquiyu Member
edited November 2020 in General Discussion
hello its me again! i know shocking, how am i so addicted to this game and its forums, probably cuz i just want a good fucking mmorpg for once, BUT THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT

right now i wanna discuss minigames within AoC!
i heard that minigames such as card games and the like will be available to play at taverns
and while that sounds amazing are there any plans for other more advanced minigames that possibly require its own system and mechanics?

i personally have a few cool ideas that i think would add more variety to a game that at this point i'm certain will take me thousands of hours to even establish myself as a dedicated player.

first and foremost something similar to bamarama in TERA
bamarama is a minigame that occurs every 15-30 minutes
players will be able to bet money on a player/npc gladiator and even monster which they think will win the 1 versus 1
the arena changes with each different node and stage of said node to make it even more immersive

the great harvest!
the great harvest is a minigame that would be open for a short amount of time during the harvest season of certain crops!
the minigame consists of the player helping a lone npc farmer harvest his massive amount of crops before the next season arrives! it could be a timed minigame sort of like 3 minutes to harvest as many bundles of wheat as possible or similar
the player will receive a percentage of the harvested crop in accordance to they're effectiveness
(this is a very rough description of how this game could work so the very fundamental mechanics i describe for this minigame could definitely be worked on!)

Open world minigames!
Open world minigames are started when you find a marker out in the world when exploring!
they can vary from a sizeable monster ambush
to triggering the collapse of a nearby hillside and revealing the entrance to an abandoned mine full of resources (the mechanic behind this one specifically would be that the player would have a very limited time to harvest as much of the minerals as possible and then escape from the collapsing mine)
to even just helping a wounded npc caravan from monsters!

Node specific minigames!
node specific minigames are directly affected by the type and stage of the node, for example on a military metropolis it could be a 1v1 in the ZOI of the node, this is to give players who play this minigame a wide variety of different terrain to make use of and fight opponents in
pvp minigames like this would award (points) that can be used at the minigames shop that could sell random things like potions or even very temporary buffs available only for use within the minigame

there are many ideas i have for this game in terms of minigames including a few ill mention if peeps are interested in them!
please let me know what you guys think of minigames like the ones i mentioned being in the game!

854168_cannonbreed_dark-souls-bonfire.gif?f1553090073

Comments

• Options
    YuquiyuYuquiyu Member
    edited November 2020
    of course id like to point out that i only mentioned a military metropolis in the node specific minigames section of this post
    so id like to expand on it and put another idea out there
    for example in an economic village node, minigames could consist of responding to a npc that came from a caravan that was currently under attack by bandits and the player is tasked with saving said caravan.
    and in an economic metropolis could be simulated stock flipping
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited November 2020
    I like the creativity behind the mini games but think a mini game should ideally have enough variability to not be repetitive, otherwise they run the risk of appearing like repetitive dailies.

So things like like a collapsing hillside revealing a mine would work better as a one-time node quest because it shouldn't be a recurring event.

The great harvest would make sense as a repeatable activity, but without much variability, beyond the randomness involved in normal gathering, I worry it'll look like a daily quest.

Tavern games work well because they have a lot of randomness, so they provide ongoing novelty and unpredictability. If other mini games had that element, I think they'd work better.

Personally, I don't really go for mini games - I prefer the core systems to hold my attention - but can understand they act as a break activity, a palette cleanser, for some people.
  • Options
    Ravudha wrote: »
    I like the creativity behind the mini games but think a mini game should ideally have enough variability to not be repetitive, otherwise they run the risk of appearing like repetitive dailies.

So things like like a collapsing hillside revealing a mine would work better as a one-time node quest because it shouldn't be a recurring event.

The great harvest would make sense as a repeatable activity, but without much variability, beyond the randomness involved in normal gathering, I worry it'll look like a daily quest.

Tavern games work well because they have a lot of randomness, so they provide ongoing novelty and unpredictability. If other mini games had that element, I think they'd work better.

Personally, I don't really go for mini games - I prefer the core systems to hold my attention - but can understand they act as a break activity, a palette cleanser, for some people.

yep! i personally view minigames as the cleanser of building burnout
    im currently working on a second max main on osrs and if you know anything about osrs its EXTREMELY REPETITIVE especially when you only wanna do the best methods of xp grinding for each skill
    so i didn't really think about that repetitiveness seeping into the minigame idea and how it could bother others since im personally so used to doing the same thing over and over so thanks for letting me know!

in general doe i wanna see more advanced minigames of course the tavern minigames legit sound like dreams as its something thats perpetuated in mangas and anime set in fantasy eras where they ran rampant
    so im absolutely not against them at all
    i just personally wanted a more in depth minigame that could potentially change the whole pace of the game
    the farming one would be relatively relaxed with the clock being more of a motivator

and the pvp ones being a fast paced skill intensive minigame (with the ZOI one i mentioned testing the players ability to adapt to different terrain while taking on a foe)
  • Options
    I tend to make my own mini-games. Climbing up stuff that I probably shouldn't be, throwing things at people as they run past, naked dancing on a bar table, show-jumping on my mount.

There's always something to do! o:)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    Tavern Games
    • Liven the town streetscapes by having some of the games at tables in front of the taverns as wells as in.
    • Games played by players reflected on the board for all to see.
    • Perhaps some games setup like the "life size" chess such that passing players might be able to see.

Mini Games
    • Horse racing
    • Running Race.
    • King of the hill - fighting
    • Marco Polo - 5-10 ppl, within a district of town
    • Three peaks race.. perhaps 3 distant peaks (random) race and return
    • Timed treasure hunt.. Clan A must take it into the land and hide it, then once placed a timer starts.. if no other players find it after the timer runs out then Clan A keep a bounty.. Reward much higher if kept than found. Could be used for high end black market goods.

Tactical board
    • Perhaps a little like Dragon Age, and NW a tactical board in the town, controlled by the mayor, showing board pieces of current regional conflicts and/or planned conflicts of places, bosses or territories. With timers, but diagrammatic/stylized. For all town members to see.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Liven the town streetscapes by having some of the games at tables in front of the taverns as wells as in.

I like that. Reminds me a little of the dice game in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/