Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Not wanting to knock the effort and beautiful work on the skill animations but....

I do love the particle effects and the concepts for the skills immensely.... However, the singular colors for some of the classes looks a little... stale? Mainly pointing at the cleric skill showcase that was made a bit ago. I love the concepts and animations from the character but..... "everything" they do is that same gold light? The spear, the whip, the healing..... Idk, couldn't it have a little blue, maybe greens or other colors to make the gold stand out a little better than just nothing but gold/yellow?

I noticed this with the showcase in how autos are done from the tank too and it was a lot of gold particles mostly. I don't object to job theming per say, but I'm going to present some examples where there were themes using a base color but still managed to make it look creative through using effects/coloration.

First here is the "Crusader" class from dfo, a class based around the healing and godly-like healing concept. Buffs, crosses, judgement, light, the whole godly concept. Its main color is of course, yellow. However it manages to do blue with lightning bolts, black shadows and inverts to emphasize the yellow, oranges/reds. Heck, it even manages to have green/purple in 1-2 skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4Qa4mePrA

The other example is more blatant and 3d, being Skyforge's Slayer. It's a LOT of purple, don't get me wrong.... but it doesn't just overdose on it alone and rely on the same look for everything. Black chains and nice whites, smoke instead of just solid colors, sharp shapes and etc to define the ninja-esque idea. It plays with indigo a bit in there too but it manages to make the skills have unique textures and definition to make each skill feel different, despite being the same color choice for most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZsGTm2p1j8

Last example some may be familiar with and I provided a time stamp specifically for the job I'm referring to. Dark knight from FFXIV, definition of edgey, using a LOT of black/red combinations in its whole skillset. Yet, it still uses blues, purples, and whites with also very unique shapes/textures to give those blacks/reds more definition.

https://youtu.be/jaGxC7wnBDo?t=798

I know this game is going to be in Alpha and things are still a long stretch away. Maybe animations are cut down a bit for now just to serve as placeholders until it's all truly done... But how the video presented the cleric class made it seem as though this was a.... finished product? Even just for the first 10 levels of it only being shown, I feel as though it's just a bit too bland looking with using the same colors for most of the skills(if not all of them). Again, I'm probably just making a large assumption very early on in this game's development, but I can't help but feel a little concerned about the future development if this is indeed the plan for the aesthetics of some classes.
Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Comments

• Options
    It's in Alpha. The graphics will be polished closer to launch. And maybe check out all the other threads about the graphics, where we've also said that..... this game is still in Alpha, and the graphics will be polished closer to launch.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Also, skill FX can be customized. Was a KS stretch goal that was achieved. So depending on released options you could see clerics with pink whips or whatever they want. If it is purely cosmetic and not p2w, there will be options for it on the store. KaChing!
    effectvariant.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I would like it if we could associate all damage type with a color...since the cleric is all about holy damage it makes sense all his attacks are golden.... that said, healing/resurrect/exorcism doesn't need to be golden
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some times less is more
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the cleric spells having a signature color. That kind of distinctiveness is nice and I especially like the idea of mixing a second class in to add variety in terms of both functionality and appearance.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks fine to me but I really don't get why they are floating when casting, it's a bit over dramatic. It looks more like sailor moon stuff than anything else.
  • Options
    mushin wrote: »
    Looks fine to me but I really don't get why they are floating when casting, it's a bit over dramatic. It looks more like sailor moon stuff than anything else.

I felt like that was the only interesting animation they had really.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    Some times less is more

Will you say that if they reduce the amount of undead minions you can summon? ;)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That's probably not included in "sometimes". :)
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    First video was appealing to see. The second and third were junk imo.
  • Options
    yeah game needs a lot of work in effects and colors, but I think since they employed like 25 people last months some of them will be working on exactly that! So we should see faster improvement in that regard.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Some times less is more

Will you say that if they reduce the amount of undead minions you can summon? ;)

Yes if it means the game is more optimized and less laggy lol.
    ― G.K. Chesterton