Asian/Eastern Touch in Graphics

Hello,

I can't really pinpoint it yet but somehow I do get a slight asian/eastern vibe from the game. I don't mean cultural elements or asian characters, that's all fine in itself but more the art style or maybe "material/shader style". As I said, I can't pinpoint it yet but I think it might has to do with the fact that's it a non-realistic art style and with the shininess of armor/characters. Sometimes, the skin actually reflects, which is a bit weird.

Maybe you can pinpoint it better. I know I'm not the only one that observed this. And I'm sure there is still a long way to go since in general, the graphics don't seem too immersive yet. And with immersive I don't mean that they need to be realistic. E.g. the style of WoW which is far from realistic is immersive, just because everything fits. At least the classic style, didn't play the remade graphics too much but form what I see it actually lost some of its immersive propeprty.

My question is: Do they actually aim for that slight asian touch?

Comments

  • I don't really see it. The graphics look fine to me. It feels like a nice blend between Game of Thrones and Dungeons and Dragons. A little real and a little out there.

    I am not getting any Asian vibes. The Asian aesthetic is not my cup of tea personally. No hate, I just like more western fantasy. "Mist of Pandaria"(WOW) and "Stormblood"(FFXIV) were both expansions that I was not into aesthetically. I feel like I would notice an Asian aesthetic if it were there.
    CctsKnC.png
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I don't really see it. The graphics look fine to me. It feels like a nice blend between Game of Thrones and Dungeons and Dragons. A little real and a little out there.

    I am not getting any Asian vibes. The Asian aesthetic is not my cup of tea personally. No hate, I just like more western fantasy. "Mist of Pandaria"(WOW) and "Stormblood"(FFXIV) were both expansions that I was not into aesthetically. I feel like I would notice an Asian aesthetic if it were there.

    Stormblood had Yugiri Mistwalker though <3
    giphy-0.jpg

  • maouwmaouw Member
    edited November 18
    Hey @Xotix
    Do you have an example that your brain associates with "western" renders?
    I'm genuinely interested.

    For me the difference is in the way western media is dominated by dark and gritty themes, and they tend to colour correct towards dark shades of blue. Or they do the complete opposite for vintage/nostalgia and colour correct towards washed out oranges.
    Whereas I find eastern media tends to prefer really vibrant colours, bright lighting and lots of white space. Their evil (equivalent of dark and gritty?) tends to be blacks with really saturated colours, and their nostalgia tends to be faded white and minimalist.

    I did notice that some renders of the armour were extremely reflective like polished mirror and that gave me BDO vibes. However, to me the facial structure of the people in AoC previews reminds me of the sims more than the korean/chinese MMO's I've played.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • The only vaguely asian vibe I get is in the Ren'Kai. But that is by design. Who doesn't like Samurai Orcs!
  • Like @maouw said, could you show "western" renders? I dont really see it. Maybe its the higher fidelity in lighting effects used, because that is something "standard" western games dont use too much.
    KkvMmA5.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    I mean it looks like divinity original sins graphics to be which is D&D based
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • My post basically had two points.
    1. Very slight asian touch (whereas I never implied that's on purpose) I really want to stress that's its really slight. I just noticed it and was one of the first thoughts I had when seeing some ingame footage.
    2. Sometimes immersion breaking elements (but I guess that's expected and I don't want to judge it too harshly at this point)

    Anyway,

    Asian vibe:
    1. https://images.mmorpg.com/images/heroes/videos/6174.jpg
    2. https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1133430
    /ss_abb8224fa05490bfe1def6f6732858431c93ac99.1920x1080.jpg?t=1583862179
    3. https://s2.glbimg.com/5BFq8tPBweqFlZdpP7vNpNkY8L8=/0x0:1361x573/984x0/smart/filters:strip_icc()/i.s3.glbimg.com/v1/AUTH_08fbf48bc0524877943fe86e43087e7a/internal_photos/bs/2020/t/U/S7F8MrT5SdfQq7gu1fOg/1.jpg

    Western:
    1. https://images.mmorpg.com/images/heroes/posts/119078.jpg
    2. https://www.mmogames.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Ashes-of-Creation-Apocalypse-Griffon-Drop.jpg
    3. https://unfoldtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/rgamers-ASHES-OF-CREATION-CLASSES-Cleric-Skills-Gameplay-1280x720.jpg

    I guess that slight asian touch I mean comes from the uber perfect shiny "twirly"(?) armor. Although with a clear western person like in 3. western it doesn't look asian.

    E.g. BDO is way too much asian styled for me, I really dislike that style. I also don't need darkness, I love non-dark areas. I do like asian regions. I guess for me, asian style is just so uber-flash, shiny and mostly unrealistic. E.g. I can't watch anime because it's the format that hates details, like graphically.

    Anyway, this isn't a hate post, was just curious because I know that a few others also got a slight asian vibe. Can't remember the videos where they said that though.
  • seeing asia/japan everywhere is a sign of early onset otakurism.

    Please seek out a mental medical profession as soon as possible.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    You see “shiny” as Asian?!

    That’s just weird. :/
    U752vHP.png
  • Xotix wrote: »
    My post basically had two points.
    1. Very slight asian touch (whereas I never implied that's on purpose) I really want to stress that's its really slight. I just noticed it and was one of the first thoughts I had when seeing some ingame footage.
    2. Sometimes immersion breaking elements (but I guess that's expected and I don't want to judge it too harshly at this point)

    Anyway,

    Asian vibe:
    1. https://images.mmorpg.com/images/heroes/videos/6174.jpg
    2. https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1133430
    /ss_abb8224fa05490bfe1def6f6732858431c93ac99.1920x1080.jpg?t=1583862179
    3. https://s2.glbimg.com/5BFq8tPBweqFlZdpP7vNpNkY8L8=/0x0:1361x573/984x0/smart/filters:strip_icc()/i.s3.glbimg.com/v1/AUTH_08fbf48bc0524877943fe86e43087e7a/internal_photos/bs/2020/t/U/S7F8MrT5SdfQq7gu1fOg/1.jpg

    Western:
    1. https://images.mmorpg.com/images/heroes/posts/119078.jpg
    2. https://www.mmogames.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Ashes-of-Creation-Apocalypse-Griffon-Drop.jpg
    3. https://unfoldtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/rgamers-ASHES-OF-CREATION-CLASSES-Cleric-Skills-Gameplay-1280x720.jpg

    I guess that slight asian touch I mean comes from the uber perfect shiny "twirly"(?) armor. Although with a clear western person like in 3. western it doesn't look asian.

    E.g. BDO is way too much asian styled for me, I really dislike that style. I also don't need darkness, I love non-dark areas. I do like asian regions. I guess for me, asian style is just so uber-flash, shiny and mostly unrealistic. E.g. I can't watch anime because it's the format that hates details, like graphically.

    Anyway, this isn't a hate post, was just curious because I know that a few others also got a slight asian vibe. Can't remember the videos where they said that though.

    Gotcha - I think it's the colour choices.
    In the first pic, I get the feeling from whites and vibrant sky blues with yellow gold in somewhat equal amounts. If it were more "western" I'd expect they'd contrast the white with a dark shade of blue (or red taking inspo from crusades), and usually one colour dominates the others
    Second pic, not sure where your eyes are drawn - I'm drawn to the vibrant blue flower that looks out of place, then the red+gold combo is typical of asian (China especially) colours. Asian style loves lots of contrasting colours.
    Your western pics are heavy on neutral (browns, pinks, reds) and muted colours, with the occasional pop of colour here or there.

    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • If bdo went down a notch, or ESO went up a notch that would be a good fantasy place. We will see what AoC aims to do.

    The earlier years designs seemed too much.
  • maouw wrote: »
    Gotcha - I think it's the colour choices.
    This was the only conclusion I could come to as well, with the pictures supplied.

    I don't get a specific Eastern feel to the game, nor a specific Western feel.

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    not every game can be grim dark (sadly) some time you need a bit of light
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • (Personally, I want the grim dark to end. It's overdone. But teens be edgy, and hip so...)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    maouw wrote: »
    (Personally, I want the grim dark to end. It's overdone. But teens be edgy, and hip so...)

    The problem is most grim dark games are only in looks and not in feel.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member
    edited November 19
    maouw wrote: »
    (Personally, I want the grim dark to end. It's overdone. But teens be edgy, and hip so...)
    T H E I N Q U I S I T I O N W O U L D L I K E T O K N O W Y O U R L O C A T I O N
    KkvMmA5.png
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Pioneer
    I think its the bright colors and gloss effects.

    Think of you average European medieval game. Lots of a peasants in drab clothing. As a new player you start in drab leather, or dull metal armor. Only later do you get good looking stuff, but the bright colors will never dominate.
    I think Westerners see large amounts of bright colors as childish. "Primary colors are for kindergarten."
    Whereas the Eastern influence you'll see a lot of bright colored clothing. Watch some Asian movies made for their market.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    I see many western games with bright colors and shiny textures. Asian games typically have the following:

    1) Giant weapons, ridiculously huge.

    2) Anachronistic clothing and other items (weapons, vehicles).

    3) Androgynous features on human characters.

    4) Some kind of cute little character type, representing fluffy animals and/or little girls.

    5) Extremely over-sexualized female outfits.

    Those are off the top of my head. I’m sure that other stereotypes can be brought up. Ashes doesn’t really have any of that. They’ve even made a public stance of actively avoiding the aesthetic, actually.
    U752vHP.png
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited November 19
    Xotix wrote: »
    ... it might has to do with the fact that's it a non-realistic art style...

    I thought the art style is more on the realistic side than not...the shininess seems to be because the armour material is actually shiny and skin can reflect/diffuse light to a degree *shrug*

    With those screenshots, I guess maybe the elaborate curved armour designs do step away from a lot of traditional Western MMOs - I guess the smooth futuristic and tight look of some of the Apoc armours with elaborate embelishments might wander into the realm of Asian armour, which tends to also be highly detailed, smooth in texture, and embelished..that's the only link I could think of
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    The problem is comparing Westen fantasy e.g. LoTR to eastern fantasy E.g SAO. if you make a tally chart I would bet you would have more in common with LoTR that SAO
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • maouwmaouw Member
    edited November 20
    Atama wrote: »
    I see many western games with bright colors and shiny textures. Asian games typically have the following:

    1) Giant weapons, ridiculously huge.

    2) Anachronistic clothing and other items (weapons, vehicles).

    3) Androgynous features on human characters.

    4) Some kind of cute little character type, representing fluffy animals and/or little girls.

    5) Extremely over-sexualized female outfits.

    Those are off the top of my head. I’m sure that other stereotypes can be brought up. Ashes doesn’t really have any of that. They’ve even made a public stance of actively avoiding the aesthetic, actually.

    That is pretty accurate hahaha

    Though I'd argue sex appeal is a universal marketing tactic
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Atama wrote: »
    I see many western games with bright colors and shiny textures. Asian games typically have the following:

    1) Giant weapons, ridiculously huge.

    2) Anachronistic clothing and other items (weapons, vehicles).

    3) Androgynous features on human characters.

    4) Some kind of cute little character type, representing fluffy animals and/or little girls.

    5) Extremely over-sexualized female outfits.

    Those are off the top of my head. I’m sure that other stereotypes can be brought up. Ashes doesn’t really have any of that. They’ve even made a public stance of actively avoiding the aesthetic, actually.

    I have to agree - and it is the lack of these things in Ashes that had me confused as to what the OP was talking about.
  • pyreal wrote: »
    I think its the bright colors and gloss effects.

    Yeah, it's probably very connected to the gloss effect. In general I really hope that effect gets tuned down. Curious on how it's gonna evolve.

    Atama wrote: »
    I see many western games with bright colors and shiny textures. Asian games typically have the following:

    1) Giant weapons, ridiculously huge.

    2) Anachronistic clothing and other items (weapons, vehicles).

    3) Androgynous features on human characters.

    4) Some kind of cute little character type, representing fluffy animals and/or little girls.

    5) Extremely over-sexualized female outfits.

    Those are off the top of my head. I’m sure that other stereotypes can be brought up. Ashes doesn’t really have any of that. They’ve even made a public stance of actively avoiding the aesthetic, actually.

    hehe nice list. I'm talking about a very slight touch in my perception. Those things aren't slight at all. :)

    I never said AoC has an asian style but rather that I perceived a slight such touch. Of course that's a very personal thing here since I might have very different associations than others.
  • I mean we have weeb orcs. So maybe that?
Sign In or Register to comment.