Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dots in raids

KusaijshiKusaijshi Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Does somebody know if they Talked about dot damage in Big groups like raids/pvp.
I Played some games where the same dots overwrote the dot from players who acktivated there dot 1 sekend earlier.
I really dislike this System because you Lower the damage Output from some classes if there are more then 1 in a group/Raid.
Instant damage classes without poison/Flame dot etc deal the same damage.
So is it possible to give a Boss mob/player in pvp 10 times the same dot or will it be replaced with just new timer when Used from 2nd player

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I want to ask what games use such a stupid system, but I'm fairly sure I know the answer.

We don't know enough about the games combat to say for sure, but I can't see Intrepid doing something this amateur.
  • Options
    That sounds crap. If two people put a DoT on, both should apply, or what's the point in them being there?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Thats the Problem i had with These games.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't mind it overriding your own DoT or even resetting the timer but affecting other peoples? that's a no from me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Resetting your own is totally fine. So if you reset dot to early to often its your own fault that you make Lower damage.
    But its bad if there are 2 assasins with poison but only 1 Gould be up at the same time ^^.

But when there is no Information i will wait and watch :D.
    Ty for awsners
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The kind of system you speak of was a technical limitation of the early mmorpgs, and no longer applies today.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    The kind of system you speak of was a technical limitation of the early mmorpgs, and no longer applies today.

I can still only think of 1 MMO that did it. I know of one other MMO that came out a month before the one in question that didn't have this limitation, so I would think it is a limitation in the minds and imagination of the developers, more than a technical limitation.
  • Options
    Yea its Not an Gold game i Played like lineage2 or something like that.
    Its a "newer" game i Played with that "good" mechanic. If the devs want to do it they still can do it today.
    Its a Bad System in my eye but warte to be sure.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFXI, would not allow debuffs to stack. With the sub-job system people would end up having some of the same debuffs in a given party comp. In the case of FFXI it was fine, it was considered part of good party planning and coordination. I think in Lineage 2 it was just because of a technical limitation. Wow had a limit of 40 buffs in TBC and classic.

I don't like it when debuffs are limited, but you could have a lore reason for it. Too much magic on one creature might oversaturate a creature. Like putting too much sugar in water.

I don't think AOC will be like this, but I could live with it if they decided it was to promote strategy.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    JazeriousJazerious Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I hope they make dot's get strong the longer they are on. like the last 2/3 ticks are the strongest tick of the DoT. So if someone reset it too early, they loose dmg and to make it more skill based.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    FFXI, would not allow debuffs to stack. With the sub-job system people would end up having some of the same debuffs in a given party comp. In the case of FFXI it was fine, it was considered part of good party planning and coordination. I think in Lineage 2 it was just because of a technical limitation. Wow had a limit of 40 buffs in TBC and classic.

I don't like it when debuffs are limited, but you could have a lore reason for it. Too much magic on one creature might oversaturate a creature. Like putting too much sugar in water.

I don't think AOC will be like this, but I could live with it if they decided it was to promote strategy.

I can fully understand not wanting the same debuffs to stack.

If debuffs stacked, I'd build a raid based around dealing one type of damage, and thus one type of damage reduction. This leaves the only check left in place to be caps, and any system that has caps as it's only check is not a good system (players should never reach any cap - they should be theoretical, not actual).

However, DoT's shouldn't be considered debuffs - even if the DoT has a debuff component to it. Making this association is poor design.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    hahah I can just see a mega debuffed boss doing -1000 damage and heals people every time he hits you
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    It sounds like a poorly designed game