Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting system.

Hello everybody, I hope you have a good day.
First I would like to say, that I love how the game is developing, devs comunicacion and openness, and the scale of the game they aspire to. I wish you that all your ideas will come to past and work well.

Now to the main course.
Some time ago I had an idea for the game, but didn't know where to post it ( hope this is the right place).
With all the posts and informations I truly believe Ashes of Creation will be next generation MMO that is levels beyond other games on market.
There where my idea comes in. It would be next gen if you could make crafting weapons/armor the way it is in Mount and Blade Bannerlord. Where you can choose individual components and create uniqe weapons and armor.
Every part would have a different statistics that will add to the final product, and had to be made from different materials (and maybe separately). Because of that, there will be less generic items on the market, and players would have to talk to craftsman, tell what kind of weapon they want (with what specific components), and then wait 10-15 min for crafter to make it.
You could make a list of every component with individual number, that everybody could see, but few could craft. Thanks to this, player could just say that they want handle-5, guard-3, blade -12.
Another nice thing would be learning new recipies from your race, but alsow from another race. Craftsman would have to go to town controled by another race, do some quests, to unlock that races recipies. That would alsow add some more content for players that just want to be craftsmen in the game.
The last thing would be craftsman level. He would need to have proper lvl in crafting, to unlock reciepies, use special materials, craft from different race, and add extra components to the item, lvl 1 - sword would have 3 parts, lvl 10 - sword would have 5 parts (like in Slasher's Keep game).

Sorry for long post and grammatical errors, hope it's not too hard to read. Thank you for your time and possibility to get idea off my head.

Have a awesome and peaceful day.

Comments

• Options
    Customisation is always nice! I'll have mine with cheese and marshmallows, please!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I think SWTOR had a similar crafting system? Where different resource nodes would have different qualities/properties that would influence the crafted item? I don't know myself but I feel like I read about it in this forum actually and looked up some stuff about it. I do like ideas like that and what you describe. It would also make gathering a lot more interesting and rewarding too! The only thing I don't like that you propose is the 15 min to craft haha. I don't think making crafts take a long time for the sake of it is fun.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do like the idea of having unique craftable gear/weapons. Hopefully the end game content and best gear is ultimately put to the community to make. This would absolutely create a lively marketplace and force positive communication to get those shinies. I'm not too fond of the idea of having to ask for "blade-12's" in chat. Maybe keep it as complex with the variety but not have it be named so basically. Cool idea though!

@daveywavey Don't go ruining my cheese with marshmallows. Blasphemy.
  • Options
    neuroguy wrote: »
    I think SWTOR had a similar crafting system? Where different resource nodes would have different qualities/properties that would influence the crafted item? I don't know myself but I feel like I read about it in this forum actually and looked up some stuff about it. I do like ideas like that and what you describe. It would also make gathering a lot more interesting and rewarding too! The only thing I don't like that you propose is the 15 min to craft haha. I don't think making crafts take a long time for the sake of it is fun.

Star Wars Galaxies had the quality/properties based on time limited extracted resources. A crafter could make either a prototype or schematics that a plant with the proper materials would then mass produce the item of. Once the resources were depleted, the item could no longer be produced, you'd need new schematics with the new resources found. There was thus always a need to harvest things and for crafters to produce.

Star Wars: The Old Republic crafting was done by your companions in your ship while you were with another one adventuring or offline. I don't remember the specific though.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for reading and commenting.

@Neuroguy - your probably right about 15 min, but I prefer to make one item in 10 min than 10 items in 1 min. In most of games crafting is simplify by gathering resorses and pushing OK button, and to me its just boring. Better option would be some mini-games, basic smithy rules that you need to heat metal befor forging it and cool it at the end, or something more meaningfull than just press a button.

@Khronus - I was thinking about list just to make interaction easier, so if you want specific look, or maxed out stat, you can just say to craftsman what you want by number from items list. The same with naming items, it should be possible for craftsman or better buyer to be able to do so.
  • Options
    Steven has said that crafters can customize the stats on the gear they make, and I am really excited about this. This means I can get custom gear with specific stats for the character build I am trying to make. As for how the crafter customizes the stats, we don't know exactly what that will be like, but big thumbs up for more customization.