Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make fishing great (for the first time)

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Fishing is important for people who think it is important. Many games make fishing boring and/or pointless. How would you make fishing great? Here are my ideas.

Engaging gameplay
Don't just make us click a "fish" ability and then wait for the bobber to move and then make us click it. Make it more fun, maybe throw in some timing, reflex bonuses, speed clicking bonus. Make it varied, skillful engaging and interesting.

Progression
Many games simply make you spam fish non stop. Sometimes in different zones. Give us fun quests. Give us fun events. Make us travel. Make us prepare. Make us unlock different stuff and perks. Make us upgrade our fishing rods and bobbers. Give us flexibility. Make us feel like we are getting better at fishing. Make it more dangerous. That epic rare shark that rarely spawns? Dont make it purely RNG based. Make us prepare for it with the right rod and bait. Make us scream of happiness when we catch it. Make that shark be valuable through other professions

I really want a journal with about 100 different fish, all of different rarity, sizes and requirements. Make us fill up this journal with fish we find. Give us titles and mount skins for doing so.

Fishing rod & bobber
This is the soul of the fisher. Give us different fishing rods good for different things. Make us craft those epic special rods that are good for different things. Make us work hard for them so the rods are rewarding to use. Give some rare rods special abilities. Maybe walk on water for 10 min? Maybe underwater breathing? Maybe swimspeed? Maybe teleport to nearest water once a day?

Cooking synergy
Everyone knows fish oil gives BIG BRAIN. Make our fish be useful for cooking. Make those rare fish become ingredients for raid wide feasts with buffs. Give us fish that give fun effects when eaten.

Tournaments
Give us the ability to do tournaments with other players and NPCs. Make us climb the ranks of fishing gods.

Decoration
After grinding 7 months to finaly catch ol'jackjaw, please let me display him on my house or guild hall. Also give me the option to display fishing rods on the wall.

Multiplayer
We have cool ships in the game. Why not use them? Let us fish with friends. Let us fish whales etc or big sharks or maybe a massive squid. Make it a team effort.

Do you have any other ideas? I like fish

Comments

• Options
    I usually end up spending faaaaar too much time fishing, in games like this. I'll likely be joining you for the squid hunt!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    It's mostly just an afk activity for me, but if it's done good, I could probably see myself fishing sometime... maybe..
    EternalFliPSignature.png
    Eternal Guild
    ( Web | Discord )
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Just make it hard for the sake of the economy.
  • Options
    While I'm allergic to seafood in real life, I also spend a ridiculous amount of time fishing in game. Since original Everquest where I literally would look for water in every zone I went into the try to fish and see if there was some special fish to that zone.

I agree, I would like to see the game make it a bit more complex than press a button to fish and just sit there. Now I'm thinking about fishing in Dark Cloud 2.

Games need other activities for people to do that are fun. Yes fishing would be a gathering profession, but why should the only progression that is fun be adventuring or where you need to use some skill?
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I usually end up spending faaaaar too much time fishing, in games like this. I'll likely be joining you for the squid hunt!

Yeah Im the same I spent 11 hours straight fishing in FF14 with out knowing
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I absolutely detest fishing, given my terrible luck of IRL teaching people to fish and them getting 10 fish in a day, when I haven't gotten a single fish in a decade.

That being said, a good fishing system should 100% be implemented!
  • Options
    While fishing in Everquest 1, you could pull up a sandal out of the water...
  • Options
    KatakKatak Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
  • Options
    RigorationRigoration Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fishing is one of my favorite past times. A mechanic for better luck/reward based on skillset would be cool.
  • Options
    It would be really interesting if certain bosses or mobs both on land and in the sea dropped materials that fishers could craft into special baits that can then be used to fish up rare bosses/mobs/events.

Like a chum bucket of fresh baby otter meat to attract extremely angry Twitterfish that you have to fight off in waves.

Let's be creative :)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Rigoration wrote: »
    Fishing is one of my favorite past times. A mechanic for better luck/reward based on skillset would be cool.

Basically what BDO introduced not long ago with lifeskill mastery.

The higher your mastery, the more items you get and the higher the chance for rare items is.
    EternalFliPSignature.png
    Eternal Guild
    ( Web | Discord )
  • Options
    Just make sure you add in a chance to fish up an angry weird bipedal fish-ish boss at some specific location.

Taking an idea from Sword Art Online - you have a certain area with lots of lakes, and is therefore a popular fishing spot - But there's one specific lake that's different (it could have a higher skill lv requirement, or much lower chance of getting a good catch - just reasons to make this lake less popular). Some non-quest-giver NPCs would rumor that there's a loch monster lurking, and you have to go on an information hunt to find the specific bait that happens to be the loch monster's favorite treat ... etc.
  • Options
    Being a cook I'll need my trusty fishermen who saves me the best fresh catch of the day, before selling it to anyone. I hope fishing and the interdependency between artisan classes is fun and engaging, it has so much potential for amazing player driven economy.
  • Options
    Fuppo HeadhunterFuppo Headhunter Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Am looking foreword to fishing in AoC and am excited to see how they approach it as development progresses!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    Marcet wrote: »
    Being a cook I'll need my trusty fishermen who saves me the best fresh catch of the day, before selling it to anyone. I hope fishing and the interdependency between artisan classes is fun and engaging, it has so much potential for amazing player driven economy.

What do people think of fish having a "freshness" rating?
    coz irl freshness is so important when choosing which fish to cook

edit: it's coz in most MMO's I've played, people stockpile 99 fish and they saturate the economy. Freshness at least encourages people to sell fish while they're fresh.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

My immediate thoughts are that that would be annoying, but if it serves a purpose and is expanded upon it could be cool. Freshness could make fish from one area rare and valuable in another, and they could have a system where you can salt and preserve your fish while slightly decreasing the quality, again making fresh fish rarer
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

edit: it's coz in most MMO's I've played, people stockpile 99 fish and they saturate the economy. Freshness at least encourages people to sell fish while they're fresh.

A freshness rating could be very good for the wellness of the fishing business. Because there is magic in this world, perhaps a master fisherman can have access to a magical cooler that reduces the "decay" speed of fish in the inventory. This item would require a magical resource as fuel to stay operational and you can turn it off/on manually.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly fishing is something I tend to do as an afterthought but I know others love it and some of the ideas by the OP sound really interesting. Systems like fishing get people excited to play are all good in my book and just add to a games population.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    It would be amazing if we had freshness and spoiled stats, so you can't get the fish from one side of the map to the other, making regional commerce unique. And the salt thing to keep it from spoiling seems awesome too.
  • Options
    ThouDevonThouDevon Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I liked FF14 fishing a lot. And im liking these ideas you're giving here :blush:
    octopath-octopath-traveler.gif
  • Options
    kengar wrote: »
    I liked FF14 fishing a lot. And im liking these ideas you're giving here :blush:

ff14s fishing is so adictive
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    kengar wrote: »

ff14s fishing is so adictive

Ill be honest, ff14 fishing is not my favorite fishing. Archeage was with its deep-sea fishing/lake fishing schools and the cool mini game where the quality of your fishing pole+ your fishing proficiency increased the "damage" the fish took allowing you to catch them faster as you upgraded gear and your proficiency.

I got all of the gathering professions to 80 on FF14 and felt pretty drained afterwards. Especially with fishing... Even the boat event you can do I went and got the shark mount from that. It was fun for a bit but after repeating it constantly it just leaves things to be desired.

So all in all I would rather like to see fish be valuable individually, similar to large fish trade packs in Archeage, rather than fishing in games where you pull in insane amounts. Perhaps there is room for net fishing for certain fish that can be caught in bulk but that should be something locked to high level fishers. For example, Sardines or minnows caught in bulk that can be used for bait or cooking. Hm... perhaps what I am saying here is that there should be different types of fish for different types of fishing?

So fish caught by pole will be more valuable individually and perhaps be harder to catch via a mini game, where as net fishing allows for bulk catching of smaller less valuable fish or odd types of creatures that wouldn't normally bite a hook.

Then you have Trolling, where you set up fishing poles on the back of your boats and drive around slowly waiting for a bite, this is used for many types of sports fish both on the sea and in lakes.
    Next there is setting up jugs, traps, or otherwise stationary "farms" that will over time attract and capture fish? Maybe they could create a special fishing contraption for this that focuses on capturing bottom-dwelling crustaceans, like a magical vacuum that you have to "drive around" on the bottom of the ocean to suck up the fish.

The last suggestion we could have is Noodling. This one in a fantasy world could be a hell of a lot of fun. For those that don't know, this is the act of searching the river and creek banks for holes to stick your hand in to catch catfish. They bite your hand and you pull them out. Sometimes, you don't get a catfish... hehe. So this would be where the fantasy comes in. We are hardy people so accidentally having a snake bite your hand and then come out and try to eat you could be an entertaining way to gather resources and some experience as well. Imagine sticking your hand in a hole to have that swamp monster showed last stream give you a firm handshake before bursting out and attempting to drown you. :naughty:

Sorry for the explosion of suggestions, but hey if something catches your eye it was worth typin.
  • Options
    I never realy did fishing in archage but it does sound great :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

What, you mean you levelled 'properly', by killing mobs and doing quests and stuff.....?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

Here's how the fishing works.
    https://youtu.be/UsawKVNAaqc
    Here's the fishing boat.
    https://youtu.be/C-jhTdbhcrg

It was truly the best fishing experience I have ever had outside of IRL fishing out in Cali for my 15th birthday catchin tuna.
  • Options
    Made a silly joke in another thread about catch and release but that made me think of a neat idea for the game.

What if there was a "Catch and Release" Mechanic that gave you extra experience (or perhaps a stacking bonus to help fish up rare fish) for letting the fish go rather than gaining materials?
  • Options
    I would like to see fishing then big game fishing then deep sea fishing then harpooning that is were you go out and hunt giant squids and other sea monsters on a big fishing boat. be pretty cool I think.

And yes think fishing should be one of the features that gets extra attention can be fun actually with quests and goals. Trying to catch the great big one and getting your catchs mounted and displayed in your free hold plus trophies be pretty cool I think.

Also be cool if you could fish up quest items and treasure maps in a bottle or some other interesting things.
    Game companies have for those that are free to play have this really smart loot boxes for sale with a cool loot table.....Think that type of loot box or loot table should be used for fishing. This kind gives the feel that you just never know what you are going to pull up. Kind of build ups anticipation.
  • Options
    Katak wrote: »

Really like that post nagash. :):):)
  • Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Stop by the local tavern, get some ale, and hit the water for some fishing. Optional difficulty increase via timed reflex actions or something would be nice.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The problem I have with fishing in games is that it lacks the tactile element that is present in real life fishing. One of the biggest draws of fishing in real life is being out in nature, sitting on a calm riverside, drinking a beer and relaxing while waiting for the catch. Then when you get a bite, you get the tug and pull of the fish as you reel it in. These are elements that cannot really be recreated in a game with current technology. The most you can get is some haptic feedback from a game controller, which just isn't the same.

So, in order to make fishing engaging (for me at least) there has to be a lot more than just trying to copy the real life experience. Even things like rewards or progression don't really do it for me if the activity itself is lackluster.
    volunteer_moderator.gif