Could player killers have some limited refuge places on the map?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
What are your thoughts of creating certain places on the map that might provide limited reprieve for a player that has gone red so it is not a 100% free for all, hunt them down until they die affair, but perhaps make the hunt a little less predictable?

What if there were some limited places at considerable intervals that once entered, a player killer was not visible on the map for others.
Such as
  • Under bridges
  • In selected caves
  • Clan cast buff (that must remain cast)

A player might then be able to sprint, hide, sprint, hide but keep moving.

Should player killers have some refuge places on the map?

Comments

• FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    It's not likely to happen as the current intent is that any player can attack any other player (whether or not they are red) anywhere on the map aside from players that are currently occupying a vending stall and players on their own freehold.

Aside from the 2 exceptions, there really is no safety anywhere, least of all as a red name. Unless players create safe zones on their own. So, I suppose a group of player such as a guild or city of players or something could establish dominance in an area and protect red names from their group. Then red named players from the group would be able to flee to the protection of the player created safe area(s).
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The range at which a corrupt player is visible on a bounty hunters map is likely not going to be so large that a corrupt player couldn't move around the world.

All they need to do is stay a good way away from areas where players are likely to be found - and since Ashes is a sandbox rather than a theme park like WoW, there should be plenty of space with which to do that.
  • akabear wrote: »
    Should player killers have some refuge places on the map?

No, that sort of defeats the point of it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Besides the planned social guilds such as the Thieves Guild and religious sects for the evil gods: no. Game-made corruption-neutral areas should be limited to evil social organizations.

But as I've suggested in a similar thread, and FuryBlade suggested here, players who intended to be corrupted frequently should come together and set up freeholds as a player-made city. Aside from missing out on some quest sources and some social organizations, a player-made city would have most of the basic functions of a game-generated node.
  • Caeryl wrote: »
    But as I've suggested in a similar thread, and FuryBlade suggested here, players who intended to be corrupted frequently should come together and set up freeholds as a player-made city. Aside from missing out on some quest sources and some social organizations, a player-made city would have most of the basic functions of a game-generated node.

Makes me wonder what will happen when that node gets attacked. Will the Corrupted players risk being attacked by the defenders when they go to help defend? Will the defenders' AoEs hit the Corrupt defenders?

Could be interesting!

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have always been a fan of the bushes from league of legends. I wish MMOs would use the environment to give stealth opportunities. I also remember being able to use the bushes in both Ark: Survival evolved and Tera Online (In one specific place). To completely hide in some bushes in an unintended way. In both of those games the bushes just happened to be big enough to hide both the character name and model. I like the idea of not knowing what is hiding in the bushes. It would also be good for reds to have some hidey holes.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I have always been a fan of the bushes from league of legends. I wish MMOs would use the environment to give stealth opportunities. I also remember being able to use the bushes in both Ark: Survival evolved and Tera Online (In one specific place). To completely hide in some bushes in an unintended way. In both of those games the bushes just happened to be big enough to hide both the character name and model. I like the idea of not knowing what is hiding in the bushes. It would also be good for reds to have some hidey holes.

Assuming the Rogue's Stealth hides your nameplate, the Rogue classes might be able to do this?

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Assuming the Rogue's Stealth hides your nameplate, the Rogue classes might be able to do this?

I am talking about anyone being able to use the environment to hide. Like in real life, sometimes there are just places that anyone could disappear into without being trained in stealth.

I will never play rouge.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Red names shouldn't be allowed to enter cities until they lose red status. So no, no safety for murderers. Think twice if it is worth to kill someone.
    EternalFliPSignature.png
    Eternal Guild
    ( Web | Discord )
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2020
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I'm all for this.

In my mind, you should be able to see a specific amount of a player character before a nameplate is shown. Not a percentage of a character, but a specific set number of pixels (not that pixels are a good way to measure this).

That means if a player is far away, you don't see a nameplate (as is usually the case, but it also means if a player is hidden in bushes, behind a wall, where ever, you don't see a nameplate. This also means that the closer you are to a hidden character, the more of that character that needs to be hidden in order to be able to see them.

Edit; would be cool if it worked in PvE as well.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That would be a nope. remember corruption is a punishment and not a game style
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »

Makes me wonder what will happen when that node gets attacked. Will the Corrupted players risk being attacked by the defenders when they go to help defend? Will the defenders' AoEs hit the Corrupt defenders?

Could be interesting!

During seiges there’s no corruption active. Afaik it’ll only be Attackers vs Defenders. If friendly fire was allowed, I can only imagine the exploring that’d pop up. Just pay a merc guild to turn on the defenders from inside the cities during a siege all while preventing genuine defenders from joining up.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Corrupted player characters intentionally have monster status, so no refuge.
    That's the whole point of Corruption.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020

I am talking about anyone being able to use the environment to hide. Like in real life, sometimes there are just places that anyone could disappear into without being trained in stealth.

I will never play rouge.
    In APOC, I frequently hid in bushes and it worked quite well.
    But, APOC was action only - no tab-target.
    Hiding in bushes will not save you from tab-target abilities.

I love playing Rogues, but I also will never play a rouge.
  • No.
  • FliP wrote: »
    Red names shouldn't be allowed to enter cities until they lose red status. So no, no safety for murderers. Think twice if it is worth to kill someone.

PvP on unwilling participants is not a game draw for those people. PvP-centric MMO players are the minority, and all systems should treat them as criminals with extreme penalties and prejudice against that playstyle (there was the faction system in Everquest that worked well for this sort of thing also).

It should be possible for players who despise PvP to play the game and avoid it completely. One hybrid system I thought was OK was that of DAoC, where there was plenty to do in each race's "Realm", and then if you wanted to, you could go into the contested areas to fight for castles and the like which granted your side buffs and other benefits when you held them.

I do not like the idea of the caravans opening up to PvP, as the way it sounds, some poor schmuck who's just trying to sell some mats is going to get gang-banged by the local b-net griefers. And PLEASE, any "hiding", stealth, etc must be extremely limited, impose significant movement/weponry penalties, and have numerous counters by most other types of players.
  • Noaani wrote: »

I'm all for this.

In my mind, you should be able to see a specific amount of a player character before a nameplate is shown. Not a percentage of a character, but a specific set number of pixels (not that pixels are a good way to measure this).

That means if a player is far away, you don't see a nameplate (as is usually the case, but it also means if a player is hidden in bushes, behind a wall, where ever, you don't see a nameplate. This also means that the closer you are to a hidden character, the more of that character that needs to be hidden in order to be able to see them.

Edit; would be cool if it worked in PvE as well.

I have to say I agree with your points. One of the most annoying things I've ever seen in PvP-style stuff is that huge, stupid, glowing colored arrow while playing WvW in GW2.
  • That would be a no from me as well.......although there is nothing to say corrupt players who intend on staying corrupt can't form their own sort of safe haven. Just don't expect us to honor that when we come rolling in, weapons blazing! >:)
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • daveywavey wrote: »

Could be interesting!

To me this is one of the most exciting aspects of the game - the political happenings in situations like this. As they say, there is honor among thieves...but how far does it really go?
  • hybrid wrote: »

Could be interesting!

To me this is one of the most exciting aspects of the game - the political happenings in situations like this. As they say, there is honor among thieves...but how far does it really go?

@daveywavey AoC uses dynamic flagging. events like sieges and caravans work outside the flagging system. You are either flagged as defender or attacker and you are Allied to all the players of your category, whether they are corrupted or not in the open world.
  • Awesome, thanks @Warth :)