Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would you freak out if...

sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
Would you freak out and lose your mind if Steven started selling dyes in the monthly cosmetics shop?
(The price is $5)

(I don't know how to make a poll)
Yes!
No.
I don't like spending money on a game that is still 3 years away.
fNX2ISa.png

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No, i thought we would eventually get dyes anyways.

I consider these early purchases to be more donations to a project than buying a product.
  • Options
    And you get exclusive costumes, pet and mount skins as well.

What would be more concerning is if those monthly exclusive cosmetics found their way into the cash shop somehow.
    EternalFliPSignature.png
    Eternal Guild
    ( Web | Discord )
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it would be overpriced but I would not mind to be honest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

Yea, maybe if it was a dye package that matched the theme it could be priced better?
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

Yea, maybe if it was a dye package that matched the theme it could be priced better?

If it was like a pack of 5-10 dyes then I would be ok
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    If I was presented with "Buy this shade of red for $5 or buy these 10 different shades of red for 25$!" and all it would do is apply a specific color to the armor, then yes I would be against this.

If we are presented with a unique approach to coloring armor, then I would be excited to see it. Most coloring just turns a specific portion of the armor that color but it usually looks awful so I just paint everything all black. If they somehow design the armor to actually mesh well while coloring, that would be awesome.

Maybe instead of colors for sale they sell color sets for certain armors. Megaman X kicks me right in the nostalgia when I think about it. When you change to a new weapon type, the armor changes to represent that weapons color scheme. It was really cool but highly unlikely in this style of game.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    If I was presented with "Buy this shade of red for $5 or buy these 10 different shades of red for 25$!" and all it would do is apply a specific color to the armor, then yes I would be against this.

If we are presented with a unique approach to coloring armor, then I would be excited to see it. Most coloring just turns a specific portion of the armor that color but it usually looks awful so I just paint everything all black. If they somehow design the armor to actually mesh well while coloring, that would be awesome.

Maybe instead of colors for sale they sell color sets for certain armors. Megaman X kicks me right in the nostalgia when I think about it. When you change to a new weapon type, the armor changes to represent that weapons color scheme. It was really cool but highly unlikely in this style of game.

Oh I like that idea
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I agree, color sets are much better than letting players freely dye their armor.

Getting tired of seeing those bright pink troll characters all over BDO.
    EternalFliPSignature.png
    Eternal Guild
    ( Web | Discord )
  • Options
    I still think guild wars 2 had one of the best dye systems
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I agree but i'd like to give credit to the best dye distribution to warframe. Instead of selling individual dyes, they sell palettes that give you a lot of options.

JjediaA.jpg

After thinking about it, i kind of wish they would take this approach as it gives players the option to buy a whole color scheme which is nice when you are playing with colors and trying to find your look. If they released the palettes for each monthly cosmetic pack, the palettes themselves could still be unique but they could still use the colors from those palettes in future palettes. This allows them to avoid the issue of players never being able to get a color because it was unique to one months cosmetic pack.
  • Options
    I agree but i'd like to give credit to the best dye distribution to warframe. Instead of selling individual dyes, they sell palettes that give you a lot of options.

JjediaA.jpg

I have not played warframe in ages but yeah that is also a good way to do it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    No, I wouldn't freak out or lose my mind.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Freak out? No.

Support it? Also no.

Monthly cosmetic packs are one thing and if the dyes/alt colors were specifically tied to those individual armors then so be it. However, I'd rather the dye system as a whole be part of the player economy where it's tied to alchemy or something similar that encourages interactions between players, and not my wallet.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    I'd rather a dye system be a part of the in game crafting system. It seems rather greedy and unattractive, Korean MMO style, to put all dyes in the cash shop. It would be a turn off for sure. I'd be ok with specialty, premium dyes with unique, better colors, or color palettes, to be offered in the cash shop for a cheap price. That way players will still have a wide variety of dyes available in game via crafters, and if they want something a bit more special to show off they can buy some.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited December 2020
    The more things they add to the cash shop, the less supportive i am of this game. I don't and won't buy any cash shop items, I will already be paying the subscription fee. Steven has "fully funded this game to completion" so there is no need for cash shop items to be announced so early before release. Adding dyes is not the worst thing in the world, but if you keep adding items to the cash shop, one of them will be the straw that breaks the camel's back
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    $5 seems expensive for dyes. Would probably need to be some kind of pack of dyes.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    $5 seems expensive for dyes. Would probably need to be some kind of pack of dyes.

agreed I would say a pack of 5 rare of dyes or 10 common
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I am torn about this. If we start to give the okay for microtransactions of this type, it can snowball into other things.
  • Options
    Leiloni wrote: »
    I'd rather a dye system be a part of the in game crafting system. It seems rather greedy and unattractive, Korean MMO style, to put all dyes in the cash shop. It would be a turn off for sure. I'd be ok with specialty, premium dyes with unique, better colors, or color palettes, to be offered in the cash shop for a cheap price. That way players will still have a wide variety of dyes available in game via crafters, and if they want something a bit more special to show off they can buy some.

this.....I would love to have recipes to make a one use dye
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    I have a potential problem with dyes in general, whether they come from the cash shop or in-game.

We've had it at least hinted that certain "exclusive" items might be acquired in other ways, but in a tinted form. So maybe you have a special orange version of a cloak that is a November 2021 cash shop exclusive. But you can earn a purple version of the cloak from a quest.

Then you get the cloak from the quest, and get some orange dye and apply it, and now you have the Cloak of Autumn or whatever. The "exclusive" cloak isn't exclusive at all.

Basically, I'd like it if Intrepid doesn't promise one thing and do another. They've done that before but I figure anyone can make mistakes. If it becomes a habit then it means you can't really trust them at all.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Yeah. And I just see an opening where, say, black dye is the most expensive dye, so they never release black-themed cosmetics in order to entice people to also purchase black dye.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yeah. And I just see an opening where, say, black dye is the most expensive dye, so they never release black-themed cosmetics in order to entice people to also purchase black dye.

black costumes are the most desirable so tgey don't put any achievable ones in-game?

That opening already exists. Dyes wouldn't change a thing in that regard
  • Options
    Compounds it.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

JjediaA.jpg

After thinking about it, i kind of wish they would take this approach as it gives players the option to buy a whole color scheme which is nice when you are playing with colors and trying to find your look. If they released the palettes for each monthly cosmetic pack, the palettes themselves could still be unique but they could still use the colors from those palettes in future palettes. This allows them to avoid the issue of players never being able to get a color because it was unique to one months cosmetic pack.

I like this idea.

Would be interesting if we had the ability to purchase a pallette as a permanant thing, costing maybe $50+, giving players the ability to apply any color from that pallette to any item they wish - clothing, mounts, housing decorations, whatever.

I also like the idea of them selling cosmetics on the store (once the game is live) without a native color, and offering it up with a single use of a specific pallette, or allowing players to use one they already have.

That way, when a new item comes out, you don't see a third of yor friends all running around looking the same - everyone has to select their own color.
  • Options
    Personally I would be against the idea, I think it would be better for it to be a part of the different professions of the game. I mean, just to remind you guys, we are paying a subscription for the game, there's no need to incentivize more purchasable cosmetics than necessary. Additionally, it would act as a resource sink so that lower tier resources always have value. I mean, Mounts and pets, are enough as it is, lets not make every potentially cool cosmetic idea into a potential cash shop item.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would be pissed. This would take money and jobs out of the in game economy. It goes against everything I stand for.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Definitely won't freak out. making & running an mmorpg is a business after-all.
  • Options
    Why would I freak out? Its a small change that helps generate money to improve the game.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    @skafftaruss What the Hell, man?! Even for you that was disturbing. This is a thread about dyeing clothes.

Hhak63P.png