Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Game Play Style Turn Based or Chaos

I watched the last game play update and it was very chaotic. I am a old EQ1 and EQ2 player. I enjoyed the turn based play and the pulling and crowd control since my main was an enchanter. The game play reminded me of more of an anime style play with all the blast of color and chaos.

What can I expect from AOC game play style.

Comments

• Options
    Well, it's not going to be turn-based, that's for sure.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As much as a love TBG it would not fit ashes at all
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Turn based would be horrible and I LOVE turn based games. I am actually sad that there aren't enough turn based games coming out and some of the BEST have been turned into trash (ff7 remake).

AOC needs to be chaos in the field. Fantasy style war on both a small and a large scale. Your movement, your positioning, your ability choices and rotation and who you choose to focus (whether it be the enemy dps to protect your healers or the enemy healers...cause PLEASE GOD STOP FOCUSING TANKS. IT'S BEEN 20+ YEARS! STOP FOCUSING THEIR BEEFY CHARACTERS WHO ARE BEING HEALED). All of this matters.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "Turn based" and "MMORPG" doesnt really fit. ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Zanders wrote: »
    I am a old EQ1 and EQ2 player. I enjoyed the turn based play
    I am curious as to what you mean by this, as neither of these games is turn based.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a prime example of what I am talking about when I say that we just don't have enough universally accepted terms across MMOs.

I would wager that what @Zanders calls turn based play is just slower tab targeting, or given the full context of his post. Maybe he is talking about fully crowd controlling a group of mobs, then marking them, and killing them in turn?

If that is the case than, it would probably be up to the party and the difficulty of the mobs. Sometimes you can just AoE down a group of mobs other times you have to CC. I think it is all very situational in more MMOs.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    Ashes combat is going to be action-paced, chaotic and colorful.
    Compared to EQ and EQ2.
  • Options
    There’s no way to make an MMORPG turn-based without ruining it irreparably.
  • Options
    BobzUrUncleBobzUrUncle Member
    edited December 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    I am a old EQ1 and EQ2 player. I enjoyed the turn based play
    I am curious as to what you mean by this, as neither of these games is turn based.

I also played the EQ games. @Zanders how are they turn based? All are MMORPGs.
    Do you mean tab targeting instead of action combat? AoC will have some tab targeted abilities.
  • Options
    I watched the last game play update and it was very chaotic. I am a old EQ1 and EQ2 player. I enjoyed the turn based play and the pulling and crowd control since my main was an enchanter. The game play reminded me of more of an anime style play with all the blast of color and chaos.

What can I expect from AOC game play style.

I'm also an EQ1 vet (until Planes of Power killed it for me, I played the most hardcore pvp server with no level restrictions and item looting.)
    and EQ2 vet (until I left for WoW because EQ2 had no PvP).

Neither game was turn based, I think you might mean something else. Turn-based usually refers to games like Civ/Heroes of Might and Magic, where players take turns. Both Everquest games were MMOs with no turn-based mechanics what so ever.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »

I can imagine it now - I had my turn, I'll perhaps come back in 3 days after the other 9,000 players to have a turn so I can have my next turn!
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Caeryl wrote: »

I can imagine it now - I had my turn, I'll perhaps come back in 3 days after the other 9,000 players to have a turn so I can have my next turn!

But, one of them is on holiday, so you have to wait a week longer!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    This is a prime example of what I am talking about when I say that we just don't have enough universally accepted terms across MMOs.

@Vhaeyne and the rest of the chat stream thank you for the corrections. I am using the wrong term. I am referring to a style of play where the group focuses on one target. It sounds like PVE play maybe more "everquest style" (for lack of a better term) and PVP more chaotic?
  • Options
    My assumption is you mean in regards to targeting.

In EQ/EQ2 you select a target (by clicking on it, or pressing tab) and your abilities automatically go towards that target, and hitting or missing is a function of stats.

Whereas in some other games, you have to manually aim at targets, and hitting or missing is a function of how well you aimed your ability.

If this is what you are thinking of, then the "correct" terms are tab targeting for the EQ method, and action combat for the other.

Again assuming this is what you mean, Ashes will be both - it will have skills that fit each definition, and players pick which skills they use to make their build. The only restriction is that all builds must contain at least 25% of each type.

I'm not 100%positive this is what you mean, but it seems to me to be the most likely.
  • Options
    I'm not 100%positive this is what you mean, but it seems to me to be the most likely.[/quote]

Sounds like you your are explaining my question better than I am @Noaani. That is exactly what I am referring too. Sounds like AOC will have something for every play style.

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes combat is going to be action-paced, chaotic and colorful.
    Compared to EQ and EQ2.

I do have doubts about this. Steven talked several times about skills having longer casting time the more damage they do.
    So that means no moving, that's why many animations lock you in place.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Zanders
    Steven has said that nobody can go pure tab-target or action combat - he estimates you'll probably be doing 25% of one and 75% the other - depending on your build.
    That said, combat system is in the works and I AM PUMPED to see the results!! :D
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Yea no, a hybrid-esque combat system akin to GW2 or ESO would be the most beneficial