Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption and Prison Time

TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
1 of the awesome things in this game is the corruption system, that being said I'm concerned as I think about it with the information we have been given that it might be easy to circumvent the penalties IE. having a friend kill you.

That beng said 1 of the cool systems I like as a "Idea" was Archeage's prison system

Now the problem was that Archeage screwed it up and it was very flawed, by biased juries and many times crimes went unpunished.

My question is to you is if a player has commited so many crimes of murder, death, kill should a prison system be viable for repeat offenders?

And if so what would your suggestions be to make sure that it works as intended.

And also if you're opposed to it, what is your idea to resolve serial killers?

Thanks for reading, hvae a great day!
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst And
Wednesday's at 7:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2020
    the current system seems like it is punishing enough as it is.

Just to clarify a bit, if a player were to go on such a murdering spree they will have to die multiple times with multiple chances to lose gear and all the other negatives of dying as a corrupted player to get rid of the corruption.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited December 2020
    Unnecessary. Having their friend kill them over and over would result in a large amount of exp debt, plus it likely would be hard to meet up with someone as a red when the map is large and there are no fast travels.

As @Sathrago said the corruption system is very punishing and it's a possibility a "Serial killer" would be able to be merked by someone like 10 levels below them due to the stat dampening.
  • Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    Yeah, like Bricktop said. I also wonder if they could at least add some sort of restriction like if you are killed by an account that has a character in your guild it doesn't remove any corruption, but still punishes you.
  • Options
    I dunno, I think the 'Murderous Psychopath' playstyle needs to remain open as an option, regardless of how much it's going to annoy the hell out of me! Penalise it too much and that whole section of the game becomes irrelevant.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I dunno, I think the 'Murderous Psychopath' playstyle needs to remain open as an option, regardless of how much it's going to annoy the hell out of me! Penalise it too much and that whole section of the game becomes irrelevant.

See the thing is its already got enough penalties such that you are not going to see a rampant amount of corrupted players mass murdering. The meta will be something like, kill one guy, farm like mad to get rid of the corruption before someone zergs you. rinse, repeat.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

The devs have stated this is not a playstyle they want to be encouraged to my understanding.

I think there will be significantly less reds than people on these forums are worried about. Ideally there aren't many reds running around because the death penalties incentivize players to flag back in almost all scenarios.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't agree with a prison system in a game. The corruption system is the prison system.

@daveywavey I agree. At the very least I will organize a "bring your trash gear and let's push the corruption limit" group. Open world pvp game and everyone is worried about getting killed by players. Do these guilds really think I am going to allow them to run raids near me? lol. I will have 40 players pulling up halfway through the dungeon.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    No. A prison system is effectively a ban or suspension. Unless you allow someone to "play" while in prison, such as having prison quests and such, but then you risk having it be something people want to do.

When Star Wars Galaxies was in development, there was discussion on their boards about bounty hunters potentially arresting players and restraining them, and delivering them into custody somewhere. But that was dismissed because nobody wants a game where you literally have to stop playing your character, or lose long-term control over your character. That is just a crappy idea to be honest.

Again, players should not be suffering a de facto playing suspension when they are not violating game rules.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    players should not be suffering a de facto playing suspension when they are not violating game rules.

Absolutely. I might not like being killed by someone, but I wouldn't want them to lose the game for it, even for a moment.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I went and read up on the Archeage Justice System and it’s a big no for me.

https://archeage.fandom.com/wiki/Justice_System

That would legitimize non consensual PvP which Intrepid doesn’t want to do. If corrupted players get their own content that you need corruption to do, then it’ll encourage it. Even if it’s designed to be “not as fun” as regular gameplay, there are going to be people who go red to experience it. The existing corruption system does a much better job of acting as a deterrent. And what a massive waste of development resources to make such a thing.

Hhak63P.png