Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A plea - let's make sure we, the fans, don't overhype this game.

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
Overhyping will directly affect our own gameplay experience negatively. I am sure we all want this game to succeed (so, so badly). So my plea is that we don't hype the game in ways it just can't deliver. Obviously, this goes for the devs as well.

I have been buried in Cyberpunk 2077 the last few days and have had a blast. Easy 8/10 for me in its current state. It's also not a game I have really been following, so I wasn't hyped nor expecting anything in particular.

But when I look at reddit, oh boy the hate has been turned up. I 100% understand why the PS4 users are upset. It probably should not have been released on that platform at all. But people are also hating on the gameplay itself, like it's one of the worst games ever. I know, it's the internet and people tend to turn the circlejerks to 11. And, well... This is the way.

From what I gather, it seems the hype waaaay overshot what the game promised to deliver. Maybe the devs also overpromised, I am honestly not sure. Some things were cut for release I think.

Now, in singleplayer games like Cyberpunk 2077, the haters don't affect you. In Ashes, if the haters start dominating after launch, it'll definitely suck for all those who like the game too, because it affects server populations and ingame chat and all that jazz.

Personally, I want this game to be the one I live in for the next 10 years, because it's <3<3 SO AWESOME <3<3 and it's everything I ever dreamed of in an MMO! Realistically I also know this is very unlikely. There are going to be features that I think are missing, or don't quite live up to my hopes and dreams.

To conclude, please make sure to only hype up what we actually see working in the alphas and betas. In other words: Don't hype the dream, hype reality.

Comments

• Options
    What do you mean?
    Steven has confirmed, that this will be the best MMO of our lifetime.
    If you don't believe him, then why are you even here?
    This might just not be the game for you.
    Stop hating, keep believing.

/s
  • Options
    I feel so torn about this; I want to love and hype this game because it genuinely appears to be the best thing to happen to MMO's in a long time. Specially with Steven at the helm and their studio growing in numbers. I also understand and reasoning behind the points you're making.

What if I hype this in secret?
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    People will overhype it and it's not really something that can be stopped. You can just look at posts on here, on Reddit, and on the Discord that are like "Can I set my class as a Blacksmith, then solo every boss in the game and become like Overlord main character and be the strongest in the game and one shot everyone while I have a harem of 100 girls" etc. People have already started overhyping it and thinking that Ashes is some brand new concept that's never been done before that allows for everything they could imagine to be done in-game.

The fact is, Ashes isn't gonna "take the MMORPG market by storm" even if it does end up exactly as they promised because it doesn't appeal to a large majority of MMORPG fans these days. Most MMORPG players don't want to be PK'd. Most MMORPG players don't want to contest dungeons/raids with other players, they just want a nice cosy instanced PvE experience where they won't be interrupted.

Now, that's not to say Ashes won't be popular if done well. I fully expect it to sit at around the 3rd most played MMORPG spot (behind WoW and FF14), but people have definitely overhyped it already. I think that the alphas/betas being mostly non-NDA will be able to reduce and bring the hype to a stable level since people will be able to see exactly what Ashes is years before it launches, but there'll be some people who do overhype and then cry when it's not what they expected.

nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    People will overhype it and it's not really something that can be stopped. You can just look at posts on here, on Reddit, and on the Discord that are like "Can I set my class as a Blacksmith, then solo every boss in the game and become like Overlord main character and be the strongest in the game and one shot everyone while I have a harem of 100 girls" etc. People have already started overhyping it and thinking that Ashes is some brand new concept that's never been done before that allows for everything they could imagine to be done in-game.

The fact is, Ashes isn't gonna "take the MMORPG market by storm" even if it does end up exactly as they promised because it doesn't appeal to a large majority of MMORPG fans these days. Most MMORPG players don't want to be PK'd. Most MMORPG players don't want to contest dungeons/raids with other players, they just want a nice cosy instanced PvE experience where they won't be interrupted.

Now, that's not to say Ashes won't be popular if done well. I fully expect it to sit at around the 3rd most played MMORPG spot (behind WoW and FF14), but people have definitely overhyped it already. I think that the alphas/betas being mostly non-NDA will be able to reduce and bring the hype to a stable level since people will be able to see exactly what Ashes is years before it launches, but there'll be some people who do overhype and then cry when it's not what they expected.

Yes, great point. I was extremely happy when Asmon and Peon did their videos, interviews, but at the same time Asmon is all Wow PvE.
    This game plays differently and when people learn what truly open world PvP is, they will love it or hate it.

I played Perfect World from the start, it's not a great game, but PvP was there. You had to fight for farming spots, and if people were assholes, then it was KoS.
    Your guild mattered.
    If your guild was something like "Murderers" and you saw someone from that guild, you either tried to parley, expected incoming attacks or just avoided them.
  • Options
    xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Is it overhype if this ends up being the single greatest MMO ever created?
    No pressure IS :)
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    #*(% YOU THIS GAME WILL BE PERFECT!!!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes is its own game, as long as the devs provide at least 80% of what they said then I will be happy. or just add undead races :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    While I am generally looking forward to this game finally releasing, I can see plenty of reasons to not be super hyped for this game. If anyone is overly enthused by it, send them to me and I'll knock them down a peg or two.
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    "Can I set my class as a Blacksmith, then solo every boss in the game and become like Overlord main character and be the strongest in the game and one shot everyone while I have a harem of 100 girls" etc.

We can have a harem?!

You've got my attention!

B)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Too late. It's already an issue that a lot of us on the forums can't agree on what ashes will be like. Imagine what its like for masses of people who are all watching the game with their own ideas about what kind of game Ashes is, and not participating on the forums.

One thing is for sure, some people are gonna be let down. Could be me, could be Asmond... Hopefully Steven at least gets the game he wanted. I am willing to roll the dice on his MMO dream based on the games he was inspired by.

I do think no matter what, the launch is going to be insane.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do like how open they are with the alphas though. I think that will mitigate a lot of the launch issues with people overexpecting stuff. We pretty much know exactly what we'll see working at launch. Plus whatever extra they decide to include after Beta 2, if any.

I am guessing we'll see a lot of negative posts during alpha 1, about how this and that looks bad and blahblah the game is doooooomed! My opinion of the avg. gamers ability to understand what an alpha 1 is isn't super high :wink:
  • Options
    The biggest problem is that people think it will be a huge PvE game, when I don't think it will be.
    People won't like getting killed in open world pvp and they won't find many places to hide.
    I don't think most will be able to handle that risk
  • Options
    I personally think the over-hype train has pulled away from the station.

I believe our biggest hurdle is, KEEPING the train fueled for 2 years.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    #AoC-HYPE!!

<3

AoC deserves all the hypes! ^_~

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    I personally think the over-hype train has pulled away from the station.

I believe our biggest hurdle is, KEEPING the train fueled for 2 years.

the hype died after the first year, I remember all the people complaining (I was one of them) ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Every single player who wants this game to succeed should be shouting its name from the highest mountain tops. WE will directly impact this games launch success by how much we hype it. Even better, it's easy to do so. Just tell someone "go youtube LAZYPEONS video on ashes of creation". Then you tell them, I already know you will like it so here is my referral code. Make an account with this code before you buy the $250 pack.

This has worked for me 4 times now.
  • Options
    I just wanted to bless this thread with my Avatar [See Left] In this example we see a perfect scenario of cause and reaction. The reaction isn't always going to be the best. You have to SHAPE that.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited December 2020
    I don't know if it's realistic to want players to only hype up what is shown in alphas etc when half of the marketing and discussions are around what's planned or intended for the game in the future.

All those discussions are naturally going to evoke players' imaginations based on their past experiences and create expectations.