Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

your hopes and expectations for the richness of detail in the graphic

i'm more of a graphic guy. i love it when the richness of detail in the graphics is taken to extremes in games and you could almost think what i am seeing is an RL video.
i am aware that the graphics are not the top priority. other things are much more important. Nevertheless, I wanted to ask whether there are already statements about the scope of the graphic detail the AoC team is aiming for or what you are hoping for or consider realistic.
Questions? all available info about AoC can be found here:
AoC Wiki
tech support
FAQ Channel AoC Discord
AoC Support&FAQ Forum
USE THE FORUM SEARCH BAR ;)

no answer found? ask here:
Ask a Question

Comments

• Options
    I'm planning on buying a new PC when this comes out, so I want to be able to see every blade of grass within a 12 mile radius!!! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind great and detailed graphics, but as you've said there are more important things. I would hope for maybe a second version/option to download when AoC is released? Say one is with your regular graphics that you can customize, while the 2nd version tailored to high end machines able to handle extreme settings.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I play RTS games so graphics have never really mattered to me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    while I love Graphics, I understand n a game where there is to be large scale battles, it's realistic to assume we will have to give up some of that for performance.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst And
    Wednesday's at 7:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    Make current hardware scream, that is the best way to push the "what is possible" envelope in developing hardware. For those with "current" hardware systems they can make the decision as to what options they want to sacrifice in game settings. New games should push what is possible so hardware vendors have a new goal to reach for.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dayuhan wrote: »
    Make current hardware scream, that is the best way to push the "what is possible" envelope in developing hardware. For those with "current" hardware systems they can make the decision as to what options they want to sacrifice in game settings. New games should push what is possible so hardware vendors have a new goal to reach for.

This is true in games like Cyberpunk, not so much for MMO's.

Typically, MMO's have graphical quality from games 5 - 6 years previous, rather than cutting edge graphics.
  • Options
    Im very happy with the graphics, im not a graphics type of dude but honestly just some spells need work, the rest is perfect.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Well we know they want the game to be able to run comfortably on hardware that is 5 years old at the time of release, so don't expect cutting edge graphics when it releases, but I still think it'll be a beautiful game.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Talents wrote: »
    Well we know they want the game to be able to run comfortably on hardware that is 5 years old at the time of release, so don't expect cutting edge graphics when it releases, but I still think it'll be a beautiful game.

Thats my view on it as well
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Of course, AoC should also run smoothly on old systems, otherwise an MMO would not make sense. but as in most games there could be settings that regulate the graphic level at which the world of AoC is displayed. people with older systems could turn the graphics level down in the settings and people with high-end systems could enjoy the game at the highest level.
    in battles or cities where many players come together, the graphic level may then have to be reduced dynamically and automatically. I think that steven had already said something about this or am I wrong?
    Questions? all available info about AoC can be found here:
    AoC Wiki
    tech support
    FAQ Channel AoC Discord
    AoC Support&FAQ Forum
    USE THE FORUM SEARCH BAR ;)

no answer found? ask here:
    Ask a Question
  • Options
    Asgermon wrote: »

Of course, AoC should also run smoothly on old systems, otherwise an MMO would not make sense. but as in most games there could be settings that regulate the graphic level at which the world of AoC is displayed. people with older systems could turn the graphics level down in the settings and people with high-end systems could enjoy the game at the highest level.
    in battles or cities where many players come together, the graphic level may then have to be reduced dynamically and automatically. I think that steven had already said something about this or am I wrong?

From what I've seen the games looks pretty good. In all honestly graphics never make/breaks a game, it's just something extra.
    If they need to develop what you ask and it takes away from other things, I wouldn't want it.
    Plus being a game with over 1k people in battle, I don't think any computer will be able to handle so much
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    High detail graphics are overrated for games imo.

Just look at wow: the textures and poly counts are pretty low res/count (age is really showing here) but their signature art style has remained consistent and bring a lot of cohesion to the game - so it's not really a problem (some people still rate wow graphics at 8/10 today, which ... idk)

It cost James Cameron an arm and a leg to get the quality of the graphics in Avatar - and those assets are all moving on rails. Maybe RTX technology might be able to get us close to that level of detail in games? It's still too early to say.

Also, high detail textures make the game really memory heavy. A few games are already approaching 50 GB sizes. I don't feel ready for a 200GB game yet.

---

All that said, HD graphics are part and parcel of clickbait advertising for games and kindof unavoidable if you want to appeal to the masses. So I guess my question is: Does AoC want to appeal to the masses or focus on a niche community? (I get the feeling it used to be the latter? Any kickstarters wanna comment?)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They have ways to make this game beautiful but not make our computers explode when loading up. I really don't care for "real" graphics as this is a game. I also don't care for minecraft style graphics. Middle of the road is good for me especially considering how large scale the world will be with players/sieges.

Or make it 16bit when graphics were truly remarkable lol. I'd play it with that as well.
  • Options
    I want the game to look nice and have some good detail to it(I'm more interested in better looking forests and wildlife than I am cities) however I'd rather see graphical sacrifices made in favor of increased performance and reduced system requirements.
  • Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I couldn't care less about graphics. I think the current graphics are already good enough to be honest. But by the time the game launches like most people, I will have most likely built a new computer specifically for Ashes.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Richness of detail isn't soley about how pretty the graphics are. It's the little things that make a world feel alive and real. Little in-game references that don't have to be part of any quest.
    Like tents made out of skinned human faces in WoW. Or an untold story of a little tent sent up, with a skeleton and an old fire. No quest about it or anything. Just little details.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    sarkadosarkado Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know how anyone could be upset with the graphics. Every time Steven shows new in-game footage they keep showing off new graphical enhancements from the last time.