Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Collision [Blocking & Passing]

Rather than "sticking" or "blocking" to the other player I think they should provide an animation and a slow-pass de-buff. Assassins Creed has this mechanic and I know Steven and everybody at IS has thought of it by now.
I want my character to be able to pass by the opposable player and not hit it like a block.

If IS could implement a mechanic like this, I think it would be on par to revolutionary game-play as well, not including all the other mechanics.

This type of game-play would be advantageous to assassins and rogues for moving behind enemy lines as they could be unseen. I would still wonder as well of what type advantages they would have with just "block-collision" or if they would be blocked at all once cloaked.

Comments

• Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dunno how this would work in combat though where two melee would essentially be eternally slowed just due to proximity.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    lol I thought of this....Red Dwarf and Yellow Dwarf constantly staring each other down because of stat based passing. haha
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For a game like mordhau or chivalry this would be fine but for an MMO it would get tiresome quickly
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    For a game like mordhau or chivalry this would be fine but for an MMO it would get tiresome quickly

I would think being blocked all the time 'cause collision would be more tiresome, though.
  • Options
    perseus01perseus01 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think you could make it "work" if the pass-through was more of a shrug exactly LIKE Assassin's Creed, bro. If the "shrug" was strength based you would therefore have a smaller window of time the stronger you were. So perhaps assassin's would suck with this if they suck in STR, lol. Then as a warrior I could "catch" them and do a knock-back solution. F Yea, bro,
  • Options
    Unless the shrug movement was Dex based also, then I wouldn't catch the little bastard.
  • Options
    perseus01 wrote: »

I would think being blocked all the time 'cause collision would be more tiresome, though.

Other MMOs have done collision and it works out really well. It's not a new idea that Intrepid is just doing for the first time.
  • Options
    Leiloni wrote: »
    perseus01 wrote: »

Other MMOs have done collision and it works out really well. It's not a new idea that Intrepid is just doing for the first time.

I know and it has always been an idea of mine to have collision in an MMO. I mean that was just general knowledge for me in my head when I played an MMO since I can remember. I'd like to be "real" and beefy, so I can just generally kick your ass. But perhaps this is a phasing idea into the past and it needs to be iterated into the future in a new fashion.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I actually would do this exact method if I ever made an MMO. A shoulder pass animation depending on your left shoulder or right shoulder if you were to collide and 25% speed reduction; decreasing from %25 as your dexterity increases. In other words not full collision-detect, but rather half-mass collision and a stat-based animation.
    Steven, may you hear my words and bless us with this inevitable collision idea. I can already see the group struggling man, come on. Give it to me!

I know this has been done, but shit my brain is loving this **** right now, lol. Give to US!...
  • Options
    Personally I think collision between players would be a good thing as long as its outside cities. it makes it so more squishy back line characters can actually rely on melee to shield them. in other words, just like in real life medieval battles where you actually had to flank or use cavalry to gain access to the back line archers and skirmishers.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    That's the thing though, there is still collision with my proposal. Let's say if you collide straight towards the target, you won't go any further, you should stop. However if you go to an angle around the target, then you do a shoulder pass if on the correct path. If an army wishes to establish its presence then, it is still a struggle to get past.
  • Options
    just dont make it possible to block off areas with body count and it should be fine. Im all down for being able to slowly shove someone out of the way if they are in your way. If they push against you then after a few seconds you phase through them .
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sathrago wrote: »
    just dont make it possible to block off areas with body count and it should be fine. Im all down for being able to slowly shove someone out of the way if they are in your way. If they push against you then after a few seconds you phase through them .

You're absolutely correct. I would hate to be trapped inside a building because of this nonsense. It's a phasing idea into the past that needs to be addressed.
    I would think multiplying half the radius of each Player and reducing the stat-base Speed would give a real-time collision effect.

So each player will still have half their real-time perimeter index as mass, so you would have to effectively go around half of their body mass.

That's cake-walk and satisfies half the mess.
  • Options
    I don't like the stat inhibitor anymore. Frankly just the idea of half-mass collision sounds F******* legit, TBH.
  • Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Full collision is better than a de-buff in my opinion. Other MMO's did collision and it worked out alright.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This game should NOT have collision and we should be able to pass through each other with ease. You think corruption conversations are annoying? How about not being able to enter a building, turn in a quest, go into your own free hold. There is nothing wrong with walking through each other.
  • Options
    They've already said that you'll be able to push other players out of the way if they're standing in a doorway and this is something I've seen other games do already.
  • Options
    Leiloni wrote: »
    They've already said that you'll be able to push other players out of the way if they're standing in a doorway and this is something I've seen other games do already.

Really? Neat. I was hoping they had something like this, so this makes it easier to accept for the ears now. Thanks Leiloni for the information.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I now want to "Sparta kick" people in game
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I now want to "Sparta kick" people in game

Exactly what I was thinking. :smiley:
  • Options
    DargronDargron Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Khronus wrote: »
    This game should NOT have collision and we should be able to pass through each other with ease. You think corruption conversations are annoying? How about not being able to enter a building, turn in a quest, go into your own free hold. There is nothing wrong with walking through each other.
    Collision doesn't have to be all or nothing.

If I remember right, WAR had collision, but only turned it on when your character was engaged in combat. This way characters were free to move through each other most of the time, but it would kick in when you needed a shieldwall to barricade a gate from invading forces.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    dargron wrote: »
    Khronus wrote: »
    Collision doesn't have to be all or nothing.

If I remember right, WAR had collision, but only turned it on when your character was engaged in combat. This way characters were free to move through each other most of the time, but it would kick in when you needed a shieldwall to barricade a gate from invading forces.

I'd have to say the combat would be a little more fun in the emulator with collision because everybody would keep in there proper positions and warriors would have a better chance at mitigating small pushes and overall making the game more fun. However small choke points would prove devastating for the smaller force and especially if you suck.
  • Options
    I think I can say that the TLDR for this post is: Collision in battle=good and provides dynamic play for melee characters and protection for casters/range, Collision in town=Bad and a form of griefing.