Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Negative reviews - is positive this early in development!

oophusoophus Member
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
I work within the same line of work, and at my job we strive to get negative reviews as early as humanly possible. Positive reviews have no value early in development outside of knowing that we're on track to something. But we hope to get negative reviews as early as possible, because the earlier they come, the less work there is to change the problems to fix them.

When people in the forums have negative things to say, applaud it! Or at least if its constructive. The devs will want to hear stuff that bothers people now, instead of at closer to launch where its too late - or at least there it will cost 10x the money and effort to fix problems that should have been seen and noticed earlier.

Saying that "everything will be fine", or "its alpha" doesn't help them. We're all here because we're hyped on the game, and we took the effort to register to a new site in a new forum to give support. That alone shows appreciation for what the game is trying to be, and what direction they generally have for it. So giving reviews, thoughts, suggestions etc, good or bad is the same as showing support, as long as its constructive.

I have a big stance on how I think they should implement animations, but that's only because I see that they haven't standardized how they should be implemented, and for me - combat is the one single biggest thing for this to be a success. I wish they said that beneath 30 frames, its ok to have one point cache on animations and anything above gets split in more parts so its easier to adjust later. And the ultimate standard should be to always split animations for the upper body and the lower body - as this means the stride can be adjusted separately from the main animation and speed of abilities, or the other way around. Take it as a compliment.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2020
    You are not wrong. Just make sure to have a quick search. If it is an old topic, bring it back up. If it is recent, no need.

But also, for the health of the game, find better phrases than "negative reviews"
    Concerns about X
    Discussion on X

The attention span of people these days is so small, that as soon as they see 2 words, like Negative Review, it's not unlikely that they won't read, but rather go spread misinfo on their social media, based on their pre-determined conclusions.
  • Options
    @George Black Ahh, you're right! Search google bots and the like. I changed the topic to reflect more the content of the post.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with applauding feedback but disagree on expecting others to approach it in a different way than comes naturally to each person individually. I'm not saying "be a troll" with feedback but there is no point in changing your approach if IS truly wants feedback.

The bright, shiny and delayed casting times are absolute garbage VS I have concerns about the casting animations. Both of these lead to the same valuable information for developers as long as this is a popular topic within the community. Just as an example, don't hate me....I am slowly growing to like what we have been shown by the cleric animations.

Could people stay cordial and be nice about their feedback? Absolutely. All feedback is good feedback (this is why in retail they cram review requests every visit).

@George Black Social media is a societal cancer that has no cure. More time is spent spreading the misinformation than actually reading the original post to determine if it is fake or not. It's unfortunate but those who recognize this can at least read through the lines. That's a whole other topic though lol.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2020
    While I don't disagree in principle, saying you don't like a thing that Intrepid are already going to change is just pointless. If it is going to be changed, reserve your opinion until that change is seen.

Once that change is seen, if you still dislike it, let Intrepid know. If you like it, let them know. However, that is all that is needed - they do not need suggestions for how to fix it.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    they do not need suggestions for how to fix it.

Not to start this business again, but suggestions on how to fix it should always be welcome. It never hurts to offer aid, especially if the aid is coming from a professional!

• Options

Not to start this business again, but suggestions on how to fix it should always be welcome. It never hurts to offer aid, especially if the aid is coming from a professional!

An actual professional wouldn't bother attempting to offer assistance without fully understanding the specifics of the entire project and the implications of those specifics. This is because these specifics will dictate what is viable in a project and what is not even moreso than available technology will dictate that.

People that offer unsolicited assistance are the very definition of non-professionals in any field, let alone in the field in question.
  • Options

An actual professional wouldn't bother attempting to offer assistance without fully understanding the specifics of the entire project and the implications of those specifics. This is because these specifics will dictate what is viable in a project and what is not even moreso than available technology will dictate that.

People that offer unsolicited assistance are the very definition of non-professionals in any field, let alone in the field in question.

No one is absolutely right or wrong. Some serious mistakes can even destroy the entire project. Why don't the excellent ones accept better suggestions? Or is it that AOC is now perfect?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ashleyyn wrote: »

No one is absolutely right or wrong. Some serious mistakes can even destroy the entire project. Why don't the excellent ones accept better suggestions? Or is it that AOC is now perfect?

If your parent or grandparent were getting an operation that would greatly improve their quality of life, would you tell the surgeon how to perform the operation?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that no - you wouldn't. You would make the assumption that the surgeon knows what they are doing, and will leave it in their expert hands. You would very obviously understand that you can't actually help, and if you attempted to talk to the surgeon about how to perform the operation, you would literally just be wasting their time, rather than coming up with a better way to do said operation.

Even if you were a doctor, you would leave it up to the surgeon, as that surgeon knows the specific operation, knows of any medical conditions that you may not be aware of - basically, they know exactly what is going on.

It is the same thing here. While a doctor would have more formal education, the formal education combined with experience the team at Intrepid have means that anyone without both of those simply can't assist them in any realistic manner, and attempting to do so is just a waste of everyones time.

People need to re-learn to value expertise.
  • Options

If your parent or grandparent were getting an operation that would greatly improve their quality of life, would you tell the surgeon how to perform the operation?
    Haha! Don't be ridiculous!

If we're going to be making a VR game, I would want all the input on it as I can through our brainstorm meetings, and as I've said earlier. I would want critique as fast as possible while we progress. The earlier I hear about something, the less pain is it to alter it. ESPECIALLY towards the target-group of players that will be playing it!

Comparing this towards a life and death situation is ****, and you are still looking at this as a chef trying to form som poor comparison to "too many cooks in the kitchen" idiom. This line of work doesn't work this way! And you have no clue on what you think the devs want or needs in the form of feedback or content in this forum, so for the last time - stop talking for them! Stop trying to muffle feedback out of here, and scare people away! Thats doing them a disservice!

• Options
    oophus wrote: »

Haha! Don't be ridiculous!

If we're going to be making a VR game, I would want all the input on it as I can through our brainstorm meetings, and as I've said earlier. I would want critique as fast as possible while we progress. The earlier I hear about something, the less pain is it to alter it. ESPECIALLY towards the target-group of players that will be playing it!

Comparing this towards a life and death situation is ****, and you are still looking at this as a chef trying to form som poor comparison to "too many cooks in the kitchen" idiom. This line of work doesn't work this way! And you have no clue on what you think the devs want or needs in the form of feedback or content in this forum, so for the last time - stop talking for them! Stop trying to muffle feedback out of here, and scare people away! Thats doing them a disservice!

Thing is, only Intrepid knows what their target player audience. You might not be.
    We have had many many people asking for PvE servers, toogle for PvP or some other great ideas that if they weren't implemented would mean the game would fail.

Feedback is only relevant if it's coming from someone who understands your product.

Yes, you can voice your concerns, but not all feedback is useful.

• Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    Thing is, only Intrepid knows what their target player audience. You might not be.
    We have had many many people asking for PvE servers, toogle for PvP or some other great ideas that if they weren't implemented would mean the game would fail.

Feedback is only relevant if it's coming from someone who understands your product.

Yes, you can voice your concerns, but not all feedback is useful.
    Then it would be up to Intrepid to update what the target group is. Right now its fitting as I like 90% of the game outside of how combat looks and feels. And I've not been alone in that area for that type of feedback, and they even iterate several times over that things are not final. If things are not final, then shower them with ideas around it! You would be providing them a service if you did.

I've never asked for anything that would alter the games scope. I've only asked to make it bigger in smaller parts towards the same direction using game systems they've already touched on before.

Who are you to judge what kind of feedback is useful or not - for them!?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    For a VR game, sure.

VR doesn't have the same body of knowledge around it that MMORPG's do, and there isn't a single developer on the planet with the experience in VR as any one member of Intrepids staff have in MMO's.

Basically, your response to me saying that we should leave the experts to do what they do is to say that you wouldn't want to do that in a field where there are currently no experts of comparible expertise.

Great argument.
    you are still looking at this as a chef
    Actually, I am looking at it from the perspective of my current career - which is undisclosed, and will remain that way.
    Stop trying to muffle feedback out of here
    This just tells me you aren't paying attention.

I am not trying to stop feedback. As I have said, telling Intrepid what you like and dislike about he game is great. Have at it.

Telling them how they should go about fixing what you do not like though, that is just arrogance and making the assumption that you are right, and Intrepid with all their experience in making MMO's know less about that than you do.

If you want to discuss potential ways you would do something in game, again, that's great. Have at it.

Thing is, that discussion is one to be had with us players, not the developers.
  • Options
    @Noaani the differences between any game and mmos are the added traffic towards players and a server at scale. We're utilizing Zbrush, max, maya, motionbuilder, marvelous designer, substance designer/painter etc and thus most programs they use in their pipeline is also utilized at most studeos.

An animator for example doesn't need to come from games. I'll bet 100% that if they got someone who wanted to join from film who worked at Pixar or Disney for example they would snatch them up. They will then learn how to work at the office through just a few weeks of practice in how games need a few new rules over film in how stuff are delivered and how animations needs to start and end often at the same pose.

You made an example coming from a chef, and it's not transferable. My comments is looked at from my own stance in my own work. I would appreciate feedback and suggestions and do with them as I see fit. Some suggestions may even be used in a different scenario simply because I know how everything can be utilized in my line of work in my workflow. Thus if the suggestion isn't transferable in this topic it may be somewhere else and thus have its value anyway.

If you want to discuss this, do it from the topic at hand. Don't tell me what kind of feedback they need as you have zero insight in that. I will just continue to ignore your stance on this and continue to provide feedback I think I my self would like to receive from a developers standpoint.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    An animator for example doesn't need to come from games. I'll bet 100% that if they got someone who wanted to join from film who worked at Pixar or Disney for example they would snatch them up. They will then learn how to work at the office through just a few weeks of practice in how games need a few new rules over film in how stuff are delivered and how animations needs to start and end often at the same pose.
    I have no doubt about that.

The thing is, that few weeks of learning the specifics of the business and of the project are key. It allows you to take the education and experience you have, and work out how best to apply it to your new work environment.

This is why I am happy to say you are in no way professional - without learning the specifics of the project, you shouldn't comment on it. No one underatands this more than a professional, and so anyone willing to offer "suggestions" without being that familiar is obviously not a professional.
  • Options
    This is why I am happy to say you are in no way professional - without learning the specifics of the project, you shouldn't comment on it. No one underatands this more than a professional, and so anyone willing to offer "suggestions" without being that familiar is obviously not a professional.

This is stupid. I've worked in this segment for 10 years. I've used the same programs from when some of them were released for the first time.

In any way, I have no desire or interests in your thoughts and I don't care what you think. I will as I've said continue to give the same type of feedback I my self are happy to hear while in the middle of a project.
  • Options
    I work within the same line of work, and at my job we strive to get negative reviews as early as humanly possible. Positive reviews have no value early in development outside of knowing that we're on track to something. But we hope to get negative reviews as early as possible, because the earlier they come, the less work there is to change the problems to fix them.

When people in the forums have negative things to say, applaud it! Or at least if its constructive. The devs will want to hear stuff that bothers people now, instead of at closer to launch where its too late - or at least there it will cost 10x the money and effort to fix problems that should have been seen and noticed earlier.

Saying that "everything will be fine", or "its alpha" doesn't help them. We're all here because we're hyped on the game, and we took the effort to register to a new site in a new forum to give support. That alone shows appreciation for what the game is trying to be, and what direction they generally have for it. So giving reviews, thoughts, suggestions etc, good or bad is the same as showing support, as long as its constructive.

I have a big stance on how I think they should implement animations, but that's only because I see that they haven't standardized how they should be implemented, and for me - combat is the one single biggest thing for this to be a success. I wish they said that beneath 30 frames, its ok to have one point cache on animations and anything above gets split in more parts so its easier to adjust later. And the ultimate standard should be to always split animations for the upper body and the lower body - as this means the stride can be adjusted separately from the main animation and speed of abilities, or the other way around. Take it as a compliment.

I feel that AOC doesn’t know much about further testing of games, whether it’s technical or imitation,
    On the technical level, when you have insufficient abilities, you should ask for better suggestions instead of sticking to your own ideas. This is wrong.
    At the game level, the challenges faced by future MMORPGs will be greater than in the past. The superficial phenomenon is invisible. Failure to solve some deep-seated problems will make the game face greater risks.
    For example, in the production of AOC equipment, Intrepid Studios imitates the model of Korean games in the ancient century, but this model has many drawbacks. However, AOC did not further understand the drawbacks. Two different operating modes require two Different ideas, not the same routines
    与此原文有关的更多信息要查看其他翻译信息,您必须输入相应原文
  • Options

This is stupid. I've worked in this segment for 10 years. I've used the same programs from when some of them were released for the first time.

In any way, I have no desire or interests in your thoughts and I don't care what you think. I will as I've said continue to give the same type of feedback I my self are happy to hear while in the middle of a project.

Do you think others are stupid because the software you currently use is the most advanced? The most perfect one? Will there be more perfect game development software in the future? The future should be more perfect, rather than people like you who are stagnant, people who have been in one place, you are really too stupid
  • Options
    edited December 2020

This is stupid. I've worked in this segment for 10 years.
    I have no reason to believe this - you appear to understand how to google a few basic terms, but don't understand how to use BBCode - which doesn't bode well for you claiming any kind of career like this.
    I will as I've said continue to give the same type of feedback I my self are happy to hear while in the middle of a project
    Maybe if you had have spent less time reading worthless feedback and more time working on the projects you claim to be involved in, after 10 years you would have been pulled from working on water and fire in to a more senior position.

If I spent 10 years in one segment and wasn't running projects by then (or at least the lead of a significant portion of a project), I'd be embarassed. But it's ok, I'm still assuming you don't work in this field at all, so no need to be embarrased.
  • Options

I have no reason to believe this - you appear to understand how to google a few basic terms, but don't understand how to use BBCode - which doesn't bode well for you claiming any kind of career like this.
    I will as I've said continue to give the same type of feedback I my self are happy to hear while in the middle of a project
    Maybe if you had have spent less time reading worthless feedback and more time working on the projects you claim to be involved in, after 10 years you would have been pulled from working on water and fire in to a more senior position.

If I spent 10 years in one segment and wasn't running projects by then (or at least the lead of a significant portion of a project), I'd be embarassed. But it's ok, I'm still assuming you don't work in this field at all, so no need to be embarrased.

In these 10 years
    If you explore deeper issues in this field, you may become more valuable if you play a greater role in the project. Or in this project, fish in troubled waters and only focus on the topics you think. It is not clear whether you can face the progress of time.
    A person with extensive experience should explore more, collect better topics shared by others, to make himself valuable, and then play a role in the project. If you can only use the experience you have learned in the long-term work, you may have more knowledge if you don’t. In serious cases, you may be eliminated by the times. Don’t you think about the reason?
  • Options

In the MMORPG projects in recent years, many people who have been in this industry for 10 years like you have not found that many of their recent development works ended in failure? To develop a new type of MMORPG, the staff do not go for a deeper understanding, but use the knowledge they have learned before. This is because they are limited by themselves and are unwilling to go for more new knowledge.
  • Options
    In the AOC game, you will find many shadows of other games, but if you further understand it, you will find that these shadows have many drawbacks, but AOC has not deeply understood the content inside, which will bring a lot to the game. Impact
    In terms of equipment production, AOC uses a gameplay similar to that of Korean games in the ancient century. In this gameplay, although players can make what they need, get the motivation to collect materials, and enrich the player’s gameplay and other advantages, What are the disadvantages? Has AOC thought about this? In the future, some businessmen will set up game studios to benefit from the game, which will make these game studios more convenient. The gears are also similar to the ancient century, but this gear, caravan, further imagination is very scary In the ancient century, this caravan's system was a place where it failed, making the game completely out of balance, but letting these game-destroying game work gain higher benefits. Even if you have thought of some ways to solve it, have you tested it? Among players all over the world, there will always be people who will try their best to profit from a popular game. Someone will think of a way to crack the solution you want. Have you collected information about the failure of game projects in the ancient century? Since similar methods are adopted, their advantages and disadvantages should be solved. Maybe not take a simple way to slow down? Increase the probability and difficulty of obtaining materials, making the game more valuable, and robots cannot obtain materials from it.
    The same is true in other aspects. When you want to learn from others and apply it to yourself, but you don’t test it, don’t collect information, you just set it on yourself, and modify it when you have an adverse reaction. At this time this thing will not become so perfect. Why not change it in time when you have the ability to change it? In your fighting style, you still stick to your ideas, but you go to further test whether this fighting style can accept the change of time? Or to collect information? When people use skills in battle, they slowly release skills one by one, but the completion of this skill is too low, so that all aspects will encounter problems, making this seemingly perfect battle very bad, shouldn’t this exist? What about the AOC?
    AOC should further optimize the future changes in the times to be able to operate for a long time, not just the moment when the flowers bloom, which is meaningless for an MMORPG.
    Players who can provide some of the deficiencies in AOC are all expectations of AOC. I hope that they will be more perfect, rather than stagnating. If you don't improve them, can you get higher profits? I think you are also unwilling.
  • Options
    When the developer of a game does not experience the content of the game developed by himself, does not fully understand the content of the game, does not experience the player’s evaluation of the game, but instead thinks about the game when developing it. The two can be the same Well? How many game project developers have not seriously experienced the games they have developed and are not responsible for the games, thus losing the trust of the players. Players need games, and they need more perfect games. Shouldn't developers follow the wishes of the players? Or is it that the game is the developer’s own mini-game, is it the power for the developer to watch the game without discovering the lack of improvement to make the game more perfect?
  • Options
    Current MMORPG players all need a break away from the previous idea, a real MMORPG, many players desire and desire to make the game more perfect
    At the same time, the birth of such a game will also bring great benefits to the game studio.
    But such a game requires developers to feel the needs and ideas of game players. These developers need to experience the game situation first, rather than meet the developers' own ideas.
    In MMORPG, from idea to time, many situations do not require much money, but need some minor changes and optimizations to make the game more perfect.
    If the AOC staff are perfect, I don’t think you will see so many players who will give you more suggestions. For you, these suggestions are just chatting.
    But do you believe that everyone is perfect? How many game development projects do not have a deep understanding of the situation here, to test game performance, to collect data, so that the game will fail?
  • Options

When the battle is smooth enough and perfect enough, many players will still miss it. When you ask the player which battle mode of the game is the one you are satisfied with, players can also come up with it. AOC can be higher, but the developers themselves AOC is restricted by itself. I agree with you,

• Options

Personal insults all over, while you help my cause by pumping this thread over and over again, while you flail your hands guessing on where I stand currently within my work - want to guess on salary too? 👍

Please continue helping so I can continue to bump the thread and help when normal people have questions on this.