Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player housing question

Hello!

I am not sure i understand player housing situation in this game. I am a casual player and therefore unable to sink a super high amount of time into the game. THe main question is can i buy some kind of permanent residence like in ESO and just build it up with time or is it more of a constant upkeep with a risk of it getting destroyed when the land is invaded? I am not a fan of the latter and am guessing that the option is not for me.

Comments

• Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am not sure about constant upkeep bu the risk of it getting destroyed when your node is sieged is permanent.
    You only lose the materials stored in your home though.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_housing
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you build a Freehold, you don't lose what you build in it. It is packed up and can be unpacked later. But you can lose what you store in it, as @Roko said, if it is destroyed in a siege.

So, no stress about those cool buildings being permanently lost, but you still have a reason to defend it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The main answer to your question is no. There is not a permanent residence that you can rely on.

I personally think it should be something special that is worth defending. I can see how some people would be put off by the whole process of losing and gaining a house from sieges. Even if you can use a preset to place your furniture back quickly.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you want to toughen up and get over losing what you play for, play rust for a couple months. You'll learn quick that things just simply get deleted sometimes and it takes and effort to maintain them or build them back up : ).
  • Options
    @Khronus if I'd have enjoyed those games if play them lol. Somehow real life simulation doesn't entertain me that much.

Overall the housing doesn't sound too too bad but honestly seeing how much time money and energy I sank into my eso house, I'd probably give up if it was destroyed. I guess I'll make due with being a homeless but living under a public mailbox.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Khronus wrote: »
    If you want to toughen up and get over losing what you play for, play rust for a couple months. You'll learn quick that things just simply get deleted sometimes and it takes and effort to maintain them or build them back up : ).

*flashback to Conan Exiles*
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The family system seems to be helpful in this case. A small group can pool their resources to fund a single freehold, that way it doesn't drain so hard from one person and won't hurt as much after a siege.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

I played conan exiles recently. It was a lot of fun too!
  • Options
    Kel Krios wrote: »
    @Khronus if I'd have enjoyed those games if play them lol. Somehow real life simulation doesn't entertain me that much.

Overall the housing doesn't sound too too bad but honestly seeing how much time money and energy I sank into my eso house, I'd probably give up if it was destroyed. I guess I'll make due with being a homeless but living under a public mailbox.

I think you will be alright with the current system. Your home will never be destroyed. Should be packed up and ready to plop back down (if the city gets sieged). I don't know how I feel about losing the stuff inside though. I'm curious on what our final result will be when it comes to how quickly a city can be sieged, if defense has an advantage, if there will be an untouchable bank or stash anywhere and so much more. I have so many questions that only time will fix lol
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Side note, a freehold also can only be attacked during a temporary window after a successful siege. So make sure you join in on the defense!
  • Options
    If I was not a casual player I'd have no issues here. Unfortunately this game feels like I need to constantly have my finger on the pulse of the political and military landscape.

I understand the appeal of such gameplay and will not argue for points against it. Just saying that its not for me. The way the game is being advertised, I do not think there will be any indestructible housing. That makes me a little sad as I do find housing systems fun ways to pass some time in game. Oh well, I guess.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I played conan exiles recently. It was a lot of fun too!

Yeah its a great game to play when you have a good server
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah its a great game to play when you have a good server
    That seems to be the case for all those survival titles.