Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Stadia Support?

koalieskoalies Member
edited December 2020 in Support & FAQ
I realize AoC hasn't announced Stadia support, but I would love an option to play AoC on a cloud service! I unfortunately can't play many games on my MacBook. Having an option to play on Stadia would be amazing!

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really hope not. I'm not a fan of streaming services destroying whole industries. I'm not against the evolution of technology but the way we are headed is gross and riddled with input lag. Build a computer and join the master race.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I do have to say, no matter what Intrepid do, streaming service, Mac support, what ever, if you are running an Apple machine, you will have a sub-par experience in comparison to the rest of us.

Unfortunately, this is just how it is, and there is no one to blame for it but Apple.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Something like "Shadow" may make more sense for you. It is just like stadia, but you get access to a piece of enterprise level hardware. The compromise is that you are getting a set VM depending on how much you pay. I tried it out for myself, just to see if I could get Conan Exiles, and Dual Universe to run on my work laptop. It works really well, I was even able to play Conan Exiles on my cell phone.

The limitation is that you need a faster internet connection for it to be smooth, but that is the case with stadia as well. It plays Cyberpunk 2077 very smooth, just no ray tracing.

Stadia don't make much sense as a service to me personally. Two reasons, number one you are renting hardware in a more limited capacity. Shadow gives you a fresh windows install, stadia is like just lets you play select games. Second you have to buy the games on stadia. For every successful google project, there are like 19 failed or discontented ones. Not something I would risk investing in. On shadow you can just load up steam or GOG and go to town. Yes steam or GOG could get discontinued, but it is less likely. Remember google music?

Also because this market is in the start up phase. You can expect to see more companies like Shadow popping up for sure. PCs are expensive, and if you can get the power of a full rid for like 10-15$ a month, that might be worth it over buying a 600-1400 GFX card that will be out preformed in two years or less. Personally I like having my own hardware, but seeing how well these streaming service work. They are not a bad option.
    I am not a shill for shadow, I want to see other companies competing in this market. I used shadow as my main example because I have experience with it and stadia.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thank you for the https://shadow.tech/ info. I just started using Nvidia's GeForce Now streaming service for games and it is amazing. I didn't have a graphics card for the last few weeks and I used my motherboards onboard graphics card to play Cyberpunk 2077 on ultra settings with rock steady 60 FPS. I love it. Being able to use virtually any computer as a high end machine for a low monthly cost is great. If you bought a machine like that, it would cost several thousand dollars and you would have to upgrade every 2-3 years for equal performance. If you want to play on max settings on the newest triple A games but don't have the budget for the machine then these services are definitely the way to go.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In the pas they have no to streaming services like Steam for example.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Intrepid_Studios

I understand peoples desire for such things. Personally I despise them. The idea of being logged into a third party service to use someone's program is terrible. Logging into Steam to play a single player RPG is stupid and has 0 value for me.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In the pas they have no to streaming services like Steam for example.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Intrepid_Studios

I understand peoples desire for such things. Personally I despise them. The idea of being logged into a third party service to use someone's program is terrible. Logging into Steam to play a single player RPG is stupid and has 0 value for me.

In order for AOC to not work on shadow, Intrepid would have to specifically put in measures that prevent it from being run on a VM. Which is possible as it is potentially a good way to slow down gold farmers and multi-boxers. The main benefit for me with external services is that it keeps my HDD clean. I don't have to have a million back ups. I literally went though like 4-5 copies of diablo2 just because the play disk kept dying back in the day. I have not had a problem like that in the last decade using Steam. I was a slow adopter of Steam, but Steam has always proved to work well in a home environment.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi twentyonekoalas

There are currently no plans to put Ashes of Creation on any kind of third party platform, including Steam and Stadia. That may change later on down the line but right now, it's a no.

I hope this answers your question, so I'm going to move this thread to the Support section and close it. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out again.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.