Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Foliage slider

LequendLequend Member
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
After last raidboss video I got concerned about the height of foliage. When we were doing big raids in Archeage, tall grass was something that kept distracting everyone, so we had to keep tweaking our settings whenever we went out in the field to make it look smaller, or appear in a smaller radius around character - which always seemed hacky. It would be so amazing to just use one slider for that. If I were to decide, I would allow players to scale it down all the way to landscape, unless you gonna have some foliage-specific mechanics or obstructing the vision will be by-design.

Is there any chance we get such slider to control the intensity of Foliage?

Very Tall Grass Around Steven

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I noticed the foliage was a bit overboard as well. I plan on putting it to the lowest setting possible. It's cool seeing a beautiful flower but I'd rather not see 293857629834 of them.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LOL, I want more grass than that. I really want to get bogged down in the weeds.

Real talk though, we need to be able to control both extremes. Cranking up the foliage to the point that the ground in impossible to see for miles. I remember ArcheAge had the worst foliage distance setting. To the point that you were walking in a grassy circle. You do need to be able to turn things down when they are getting in the way too. I want more and less. All and nothing.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Give me ALL. DA. FOLIAGE.
    But yea It'd be nice to have that as a customized setting to control the amount you want. That way I can adjust the setting right before I take a screenshot of a beautiful background if there already isn't a photo mode within ashes.
  • Options
    I thought it looked great. In the fields near my house, they're almost entirely covered with daisies, buttercups etc. You can still see the grass, but there are flowers everywhere. I don't see why Verra should be any different.

I just hope they've put their raptors in the "long grass"! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you burn the trees do they speak in tulnarese
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited December 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    If you burn the trees do they speak in tulnarese

And what happens if we burn the Tulnar?

BBQ?!

I'll bring the drinks!
  • Options
    Foliage.
    Fol..eeh...idje..
    Fully...idg...

Foliage is a weird word to say out loud when you speak it enough times. Foliage.
    The word doesn't sound very 'planty' ... At least I don't think so.

(This wasn't helpful for the discussion, I apologize). :tongue:

Foliage.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    The more the better! Although... I remember never being able to find some of my kills in games like Oblivion, Skyrim and Kingdom Come Deliverance because of the vegetation.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thick foliage is budget stealth for dwarves.

“Why did that bush just belch?”

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    Thick foliage is budget stealth for dwarves.

“Why did that bush just belch?”

Solid snake time

o4uiuth70o9c.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Loved the foliage - all for a slider that lets people put less if it also lets me put more!
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I liked the amount of the foliage itself. Reminded me of being in the woods. It didn't seem like any mythological gardeners were running around giving the grass a trim.

There was some oddly placed plants, such as on the well-traveled roads, as seen within the last stream. That's probably the biggest disadvantage to using such tall grass in large abundance. It's easier to notice small mistakes with larger objects and when they come in larger quantities.
  • Options
    Hartwell wrote: »
    There was some oddly placed plants, such as on the well-traveled roads

There's a random tomato plant growing in the middle of the concrete in the car park of a park-type area near me. Hilarious, but it's there! It can happen!