Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hoping For Plant & Fungus Tulnar Customizations

After seeing how some areas of the Underrealm looked and after hearing how the Tulnar adapted to their environment I couldn't help but think of this.

There's no confirmation as the most we have about the character creator for the Tulnar is a quote on the wiki as follows:
Players will have dials to adjust the reptilian, mammalian, humanoid, and other attributes of their Tulnar character in the Character Creator.

It could be in the OTHER category but I wouldn't mind if we could get more clarification on the Tulnar character creator in a future Q&A.

If we do get a plant and fungus attribute slider I can talk about what a fun guy I am.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    sure lets give even more to the monsters are they already not a blight on verra. All joking aside I think this could be an interesting idea but I don't fits the lore per say
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    sure lets give even more to the monsters are they already not a blight on verra. All joking aside I think this could be an interesting idea but I don't fits the lore per say

I don't see how it doesn't fit the lore. Clearly the Underrealm has some kind of mutagenic affect of some kind else the Tulnar wouldn't look so different. Perhaps it has high concentrations of essence and/or magic or whatever. I would love if that aspect of it was explored in some quests or mechanics that explains things.

Like perhaps you discover that eating a high concentration of certain animals, plants or fungi from the Underrealm is what causes those mutagenic affects, or maybe it's being around Underrealm glow crystals that they use in their architecture. Maybe it's a combination of things.

Anyway, it's not something I'll cry over if we don't get as much customization as I'm hoping for but it would be nice. Although I know some will be crying if we don't at least get an insect/bug slider.

We'll just have to see for most of it once they come out which I think they said some time in Alpha-2. However, I wouldn't mind them revealing at least some of what they plan earlier.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    See I thought the same thing that the tulnar are mutated beings from the corruption or even the land after but I was wrong. Steven said that the tulnar are a from the other servicing spices interbreeding and no outsides source affected them. It may be expanded on latter but form what we have I doubt it.

9MVMmgw.png

"Were the Tulnar a result of corruption in their creation, or was it purely a kind of you know crossbreeding between the multiple minor and major races that existed in the Underrealm during the after the apocalypse?"

"They are not a result of corruption. So there is no corruption that was that was taken into account during their creation.[12] – Steven Sharif"
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yeah, Tulnar variants seem to me to have been all created "the old fashioned way". I don't see 0plants fitting in well with that, but could see a plant based race added in the future.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is already a plant based race. They call them elves here >:)
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Sum12hateSum12hate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well I mean if there is a creature like the myconid in the underrealm then I could see a possible fungal tulnar? I'm still going to try and get as close to a draconian/argonian as possible but if myconid like options are available.. I'll still be a lizardman
  • Options
    Sum12hate wrote: »
    Well I mean if there is a creature like the myconid in the underrealm then I could see a possible fungal tulnar? I'm still going to try and get as close to a draconian/argonian as possible but if myconid like options are available.. I'll still be a lizardman

I'm pretty sure we can mix and match on some things. For example you start with an orc or dwarf base and tweak the sliders and you've got a goblin or hobgoblin looking guy.

For your lizardman you might use a slider and have fungal or plant protrusions. I would really like it if it was on that scale.
  • Options
    I agree it would look cool to some extent but the issue that I see is how fungi survive, they are; ecologically speaking, saprotrophs (decomposers). And thus to be a mix of Tulnar + fungi means that the body would constantly be fighting itself to not decompose itself... I understand that IRL the body fights itself (Auto immune diseases) but for a self inflicted auto immune disease to become the evolutionary choice there must be some crazy magic going on.

There may be a world of symbiotic relationship between Tulnars and fungi living on the tulnar's but to have Fungal Tulnars seems a bit too off wrt the current understanding we have with the Underrealm

Skylarck The Botanist
  • Options
    Skylarck wrote: »
    I agree it would look cool to some extent but the issue that I see is how fungi survive, they are; ecologically speaking, saprotrophs (decomposers). And thus to be a mix of Tulnar + fungi means that the body would constantly be fighting itself to not decompose itself... I understand that IRL the body fights itself (Auto immune diseases) but for a self inflicted auto immune disease to become the evolutionary choice there must be some crazy magic going on.

There may be a world of symbiotic relationship between Tulnars and fungi living on the tulnar's but to have Fungal Tulnars seems a bit too off wrt the current understanding we have with the Underrealm

Skylarck The Botanist

Wow. Guess I can't be a fun guy.

On another note there are some species of fungi that are mutualistic rather than parasitic but I get your point.

At the same time that doesn't rule out plants as I also mentioned. Then again some people will be like, "Where does it end? Next you want rock Tulnar," to which I say, "Why not? Bring on the geologists that really take their work home with them." I'm sure a geologist could come up with some good rock puns but I shale try.
  • Options
    At the same time that doesn't rule out plants as I also mentioned. Then again some people will be like, "Where does it end? Next you want rock Tulnar," to which I say, "Why not? Bring on the geologists that really take their work home with them." I'm sure a geologist could come up with some good rock puns but I shale try.

Along with my degrees in Math and Biology (focusing on Mycology) I have a MSc in Earth Science, so I could probably dig one up.
  • Options
    There is already a plant based race. They call them elves here >:)

*laughs in Empyrean*
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ya. Danger Elf let me down on this one. :'(
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options

Skylarck The Botanist

They decompose what's dead, no wonder Nagash doesn't approve hihi.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Fungus Tulnar, cos they're all moldy and stinky. I can get behind that. Seems to fit the lore.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »

Skylarck The Botanist

Rotting bodies are great I can do lots with them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Percimes wrote: »

Skylarck The Botanist

Rotting bodies are great I can do lots with them

Waaaaaay too much info...

*pukes*
  • Options
    That sounds like a great idea. I mean even irl there are many plants and animals having a symbiontic relationship with fungi
  • Options
    Sum12hateSum12hate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    krakazilla wrote: »
    That sounds like a great idea. I mean even irl there are many plants and animals having a symbiontic relationship with fungi

Then there are fungi like cordyceps.. yay clickers
  • Options

Zombie spiders.

That is all

zombie002.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

Zombie spiders.

That is all

zombie002.jpg

That's less mutualism and more parasitism...
  • Options
    krakazillakrakazilla Member
    edited December 2020

Zombie spiders.

That is all

zombie002.jpg

Well I would love to crush some zombie spiders in pvp. ( woodpeckers as an example have fungi at the beak. If he cant digg a hole in the tree, they will come back later to the same Spot where the Fungus decomposed the wood for them(the brought it there))
  • Options
    Fungal-esque Tulnar would be awesome, and it would fit within the lore perfectly. I see no reason why bioluminescence and other mycanoid traits shouldn't appear after spending so long and evolving and adapting to the underrealm, just like the underrealm sharptooth cat.
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That quote was from 2017, so I think at the time they were exploring the option of insect tulnar. It was said for just a brief moment in a Discord message from Steven. You can kind of see it in the old silhouettes. It is believed that they went back on that. It would be nice to see some new silhouettes.

I don't think they'll go into for the other category anymore, because they have a lot on their plate. Steven once did use the term "ley lines," so I wouldn't be surprised if they have more magical influences in their design. I'm not sure if we'll see interbreeding between the mushroom men and all of the other beings.

They should probably just cut tulnar off as a beast race before feature creep gets them. Maybe save plant creatures as a separate race in an expansion pack, if they go that far.
  • Options
    Hartwell wrote: »
    They should probably just cut tulnar off

Starting with their heads.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    Rats interbreeding with lichen and mushrooms. Very sophisticated.

(Insert comment about a lack of Morel fiber.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Rats interbreeding with lichen and mushrooms. Very sophisticated.

That's what happens when you allow yourselves to be governed by a Tiny Horny Rat. :(