Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Any Updates On The Class System?

I've looked at older MMOs and the only two I could find that came close was Rift's soul-class system and Guild Wars 1 class system. I never played them but I understand they were both balancing nightmares.

While the distinction of a rock/paper/scissors system might help as that's what Steve says is the goal I can't help but be concerned. While I like to play what I find fun it kind of sucks when things become a Flavor of the Week type of META system. I just hope things are designed well enough that you can always subvert it.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The devs are planing on balancing the game around groups and not 1v1 so that should be interesting

"Balancing in Ashes of Creation is group focused not based on 1v1 combat.[1][3]

There will be match ups in 1v1s where one class will be superior to another; and that application should be a rock-paper-scissors dynamic. We want there to be counter-play between the different classes... Instead it's going to be a group focused balance, where as long as you have the diversity of classes present, that's going to be an equal level playing field. It's going to be very dependent on skill and strategy.[3] – Steven Sharif"
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    The devs are planing on balancing the game around groups and not 1v1 so that should be interesting

"Balancing in Ashes of Creation is group focused not based on 1v1 combat.[1][3]

There will be match ups in 1v1s where one class will be superior to another; and that application should be a rock-paper-scissors dynamic. We want there to be counter-play between the different classes... Instead it's going to be a group focused balance, where as long as you have the diversity of classes present, that's going to be an equal level playing field. It's going to be very dependent on skill and strategy.[3] – Steven Sharif"

That is stuff I've read before. I'm not an expert but I can use the wiki. :wink:

It is promising but we'll just have to see. I hope we get some updates on it by fall of next year.

P.S. If they had an "MVP Of AOC Forum" I would definitely vote for you. I appreciate your feedback and participation. You're always so active here. (It does help that the reddit is kind of dead when it comes to interesting feedback after the initial hype train died down.)
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Almost everything we know is on the wiki in one place or another just have to dig it up :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    When it comes to balancing gameplay, the rule of thumb is "the more gameplay options you add, the harder it is to balance". Cyclical balance (i.e. rock-paper-scissors) definitely helps but even this can be ruined if you put too many variables in the mix. Just look at Pokemon and League of Legends as examples of this.

I am very curious to see Ashes group balancing in action, especially since Steven has said there will be no difference between pvp and pve skills and balancing.
    volunteer_moderator.gif