Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Perhaps a class/weapon revamp should be in the cards for A2. Some criticism from an AOC fanboy, me.

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
BDO is an mmo that made many things wrong by me, for example P2W, no fun and challenging PvE, no ruined buildinds or hidden temples etc etc, gender/race locked classes.
But there is always good things and bad designes, in games we like and in games we dislike. And I always want to look up to and comment on good ideas, and avoid following bad ideas. Unbiased.

For me, AoC will be my next favourite mmorpg since 2003-2008 due to its great systems and philosophy. That's why I will spend a good 4-8h a day when it goes live guarantee.

There is one system however that I think must be reworked before Intrepid spends any more resources on it. Let me tell you what I think BDO did well enough with their classes and weapons, but I am afraid AoC isn't doing well so far, according to what I have been told during a livestream many months ago. This is my only real concern about the game.

@LieutenantToast

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    BDO has 18 classes with unique abilities and animations, and beautiful two beautiful sets of weapons animations per class. Obviously in the beginning of BDO there were fewer classes and only one weapon per class. But I think the end result for the identity of their class system is 80% perfect.

I think AoC should do away with 8x8 class combinations and universal weapon usage.
    Three reasons:
    1. Out of the 64 combinations, half of them won't be viable for: solo questing, massive pvp, group v group pvp, duel pvp, pve xp, raid progression. Half of them will be overlooked for a better alternative, unless some people really really like a combination name.
    2. There will be 8 sets of unique archetype abilities, the rest of the 56 combinations of classes will be identical, with an exception of perhaps a few good practical ideas. This dilutes the identity of a playstyle.
    3. It is impossible to match every archetype animation to every weapons. Many of the archetype abilities will cause our weapons to disappear. This will look weird in many situations. Why should a 'shadow tank' use a dagger? Why should there be a tank using bow? Why should a roque use a spear? This illusion of choice lowers the quality of the gameplay experience of an otherwise great game.

I think AoC should create 15-20 unique classes for all genders and races.
    I think AoC should create a better class/weapon system than BDO
    I think AoC should create the best class/weapon system there is.
    SO 15-20 unique classes with their own identity.
    Sure, some abilities can be shared between some classes. Will there be 3 tanks? Let them all share the tanking skills, let them share a shield slam.
    Will there be 2 rogues? Sure let them share a backstab or stuff like that.
    Will there be 3 mages? Sure let them share some teleports.
    Fighters? Let them share some sword swings and rush abilities.

And how about this? Any class can equip any weapon for normal attacks. Helpful for a fun casual experience.
    But all classes should have a mastery of 2-4 weapons. An archer doesn't need 4 weapons. A wizard doesn't need 4 weapons. A battlemage should have 2-3 weapons. A tank should have 2-3 weapons. A fighter should have 3-4 weapons. A rogue should have 3-4 weapons. A bard should have 3-4 weapons. A summoner doesn't need weapon mastery, maybe weapons alteration.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    And so, AoC would have a good selection of class choices to fit the gameplay you want.
    Classes should have weapon mastery choices to customize your style. You can also equip any weapon for your easy activities.

Isn't that better than BDO?
    Isn't it better than ESO, in which every fighter runs with 2h/SwordShield and every mage runs with a staff?
    Isn't it better than AA, in which MOST of the class combinations were weak, compared to the select few.

For me this is the greatest concern of the game. That the quality of combat animations and the uniqueness of classes will be lowered for a false sense of choice.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely 100% sure they'll re-work their entire class system based on just your thread. Good work.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    If you take my universal weapon choices then you will end up on my spear in the midst of a tulnar war horde.
    gw2-mcm.jpg

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    in the midst of a tulnar war horde.

Pfffft, that's like being attacked by a packet of marshmallows...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    in the midst of a tulnar war horde.

Pfffft, that's like being attacked by a packet of marshmallows...

"SQUEEECK!"
    Good+god+how+could+i+forget+the+skaven+horde+_36de6479789923b1553374b14cd33b00.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'll take functionality and choice over appearance any day, honestly.

That is what this thread is basically boiling down to.