Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is this the game for me?

Hi,
I'm new to Ashes of Creation, but have been doing my homework; reading the last 10 pages of posts posts (so far), watching videos by devs and content creators, and reading the Wiki. I am impressed by the level of community involvement and the openness of the development team. It gives me great hope for the game and that it will release sooner than later.

There are some aspect of the game that are very intriguing:

1) The Node System sounds like it can keep a world alive with dynamic content for a substantial time period without the need for endless expansions. They will also be bringing loads of opportunity in character development, even without traditional roleplay you will have a built in backstory as the world grows and you in it.

2) Housing=Citizenship is another way to tie your character to place. Other MMOs have used housing as an add-on, a place to store your stuff. AoC goes way beyond that traditional aspect. Your house is your connection to a place on the map and how the node fairs will impact your prosperity.

3) The Class system looks to be well thought out. Sticking to the “holy trinity” of the genre; tank, dps, and healer is, is in my mind a solid choice. The addition of the second archtype choice gives the player a means to customize a “toon” to their own style with the augment system. I look forward to more reveals so I can really start to hone in on what direction I will go.

4) Landscapes, architecture, and player races look realistic. They aren't cartoonish (if thats a word). The realism appeals to my senses. The fantasy aspects aren't overdone, they look like they belong in the world.

5) The business model that Intrepid has chosen really appeals to me. The subscription model without a pay-to-win cashshop is tried and true. I played a couple games that went free-to-play as a way to keep people in game and have eventually lost population anyway, leaving vacant worlds.

My dilemma is whether it will fit my play style:

1) PvP is the primary reason I would shy away from the game, I have never been good at it. I typically lose in a 1v1, mostly because I am not a meta player. I don't mind consensual PvP. The castle sieges and node wars sound like something I can stand behind. I'm would not be alone in these, having backup matters. But I fear “gank squads” of low-lifes that get their jollies from killing players iin the open world just because they can. The corruption/flagging system is a good start but will only matter if there are players around that will put the corrupted in their place, the grave.

2) I will more than likely take up an economic position within AoC. The crafting life style has appealed to me in every game I have played. I really like the fact that the dev-team is going to attempt to make crafting a viable route to top-end gear. I'm stuck at the moment with the mastering of a single Artisan Class and the limits of mastering only a couple professions. There just isn't enough to make a decision on yet. Will you be able to master a profession outside of your class? For example a master in Crafting chooses to be a master carpenter, then also becoming a master sawyer (processing) and/or lumberjack (gathering) to set up a supply-line.

3) The combat system is another area still in testing, that will sway me. I come from an Everquest background, where tab-targeting is the only system for combat. I have only dabbled in RTS and FPS so I have almost no experience in action-oriented combat. I really hope that Intrepid makes the hyrid-system being talked about with the option of customization. A player needs to be able to select which system the bulk of their abilities are from. The balance of the two-systems will be difficult to manage, but there is hope.

4) Along with the combat system is the associated animations and effects. For my taste they seem a bit over the top. In the December Development Update we got a good look at a boss fight. There were times that the mob was obscured by the particle effects and that was for only 7 players, think what it will be like for a raid of 40 or a siege with 500! This is not a game breaker for me but could be the tipping point if other aspects don't fully pan out.

TL;DR
I appologize for the wall-of-text, I got a bit carried away. It boils down to - there are aspects that I like about the game as it stands today and some that might turn me away depending on the direction the developers take.

There are other games in development now as well. Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Star Citizen are two that I've peaked at. Please convince me that this is the game I want to focus my attention on. Looking forward to following the development of Ashes of Creation through the eyes of the community.

Thanks,
Dadrick

Comments

• Options
    ShinasoShinaso Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    Nobody has to convince you. Stay tuned, follow development, watch gameplays once NDA lift and at release just pay 15$ for a month. Give It a try you are the only one knows if the Game is for you or not
    c1f5df869c3428999290c2954317ec5f.png[/center]

• Options
    Shinaso wrote: »
    Nobody has to convince you. Stay tuned, follow development, watch gameplays once NDA lift and at release just pay 15$ for a month. Give It a try you are the only one knows if the Game is for you or not

I agree. No box cost mean you can just dish out 15 bucks and try it when it's out. There's no need to buy Alpha access or Beta, as it only gives cosmetics and pre paid months in advance.
    Plus many say the game will be ready in 3-4 years or something like that, so there's no rush.

People who put money ahead want to test the game, and really, you need to know something about that, otherwise it's random feedback.
  • Options
    I won't try to convince you to focus on this or any game because really its too early to truly know a lot of the things you spoke on.

There are a few things that I can however share my opinion on.
    Dadrick wrote: »

1) PvP is the primary reason I would shy away from the game, I have never been good at it. I typically lose in a 1v1, mostly because I am not a meta player. I don't mind consensual PvP. The castle sieges and node wars sound like something I can stand behind. I'm would not be alone in these, having backup matters. But I fear “gank squads” of low-lifes that get their jollies from killing players iin the open world just because they can. The corruption/flagging system is a good start but will only matter if there are players around that will put the corrupted in their place, the grave.

I have a similar concern about PvP because I am so excited for PvE and specifically only the gathering part (Herbalism). And there may be people who will stop me from getting a specific flower I am looking for (maybe they are defending it for their guild herbalist), that is a feature in this game I actually like.. because it revolves around the idea of the value of each persons own path, and the economic importance of all resources in the land.

That is not to say I can't see how if there are just a group of people ganking people for the fun of it (I am aware some people enjoy that aspect of MMORPGS) and so taking that away would be bad for some players and thus not what IS would do likely.But I trust that IS is aware of people like me who enjoy PvE and thus I am putting my confidence in IS to make sure that the corruption mechanic works as intended and forces the PvPs to question the risk vs. reward of just ganking people for 'no' reason.

2) I will more than likely take up an economic position within AoC. The crafting life style has appealed to me in every game I have played. I really like the fact that the dev-team is going to attempt to make crafting a viable route to top-end gear. I'm stuck at the moment with the mastering of a single Artisan Class and the limits of mastering only a couple professions. There just isn't enough to make a decision on yet. Will you be able to master a profession outside of your class? For example a master in Crafting chooses to be a master carpenter, then also becoming a master sawyer (processing) and/or lumberjack (gathering) to set up a supply-line.

Although they have not put out a great detail int he artisan positions yet from my understanding you can only Master one, but you can become very good in many others (master carpenter and a really good sawyer). That being said I believe that that structure is wonderful for a MMORPG because it encourages outreach to other people in the server. For example I will be a master gatherer (herbalist) and I will need to find whoever in the server is a Master Processor that needs my gathered goods. I like that I can be known in my server. Like if there is someone in one node that needs this one herb and knows not many people can gather it, there will be a bounty on such herb and maybe they could reach out to me and ask for my help, that is something I think would be absolutely excellent. Just makes the supply chain world a lot smoother to me. And adds value to my desired particular path.

3) The combat system is another area still in testing, that will sway me. I come from an Everquest background, where tab-targeting is the only system for combat. I have only dabbled in RTS and FPS so I have almost no experience in action-oriented combat. I really hope that Intrepid makes the hyrid-system being talked about with the option of customization. A player needs to be able to select which system the bulk of their abilities are from. The balance of the two-systems will be difficult to manage, but there is hope.

This will be my first MMORPG so... can't help you :tired_face:

4) Along with the combat system is the associated animations and effects. For my taste they seem a bit over the top. In the December Development Update we got a good look at a boss fight. There were times that the mob was obscured by the particle effects and that was for only 7 players, think what it will be like for a raid of 40 or a siege with 500! This is not a game breaker for me but could be the tipping point if other aspects don't fully pan out.

I believe they said that the animations in that December Dev update although were slow they were aware of it because they were lower leveled. (I can't find the specific reference sorry). But as you level up, and get more buffs from larger raiding parties the animations will become faster/smoother. That being said this is still early and they could fix animation issues (for example the Black whole animation has come a long way if you watch the previous dev updates you'll see a black hole take up the entire screen and cause some big visibility issues, now in the mage video it is much smaller and does not limit field of view.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the length,
    Skylarck The Botanist

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As others have said, we have no need to try to convince you to play the game, and you are under no pressure to financially invest in the game at this early stage. The development of the game will continue with or without your support and you can view all the information about it regardless of whether you buy a package or not.

That's why Steven outright said, if you're sceptical or not sure about the project, just sit back and wait, and watch to see what happens. Once the game gets into the beta testing phases with all the systems in place, you'll be able to get a much better idea of whether you think this game will be a good fit for you or not.

So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride :)
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    You'll love it. Take a chance and have some fun.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    If you have to ask, it might not be for you. But you should probably wait until it launches to decide.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just give it a shot and see.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the feed back. I will reserve my judgement and stick around to see how things develop. I am out of all games at the moment, lets hope the dev's don't dally too long. If things go well I am ready to financially back the game in some small way.

See you all in the forums,
    Dadrick
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As others have said, we have no need to try to convince you to play the game, and you are under no pressure to financially invest in the game at this early stage. The development of the game will continue with or without your support and you can view all the information about it regardless of whether you buy a package or not.

That's why Steven outright said, if you're sceptical or not sure about the project, just sit back and wait, and watch to see what happens. Once the game gets into the beta testing phases with all the systems in place, you'll be able to get a much better idea of whether you think this game will be a good fit for you or not.

So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride :)

This has to be the most polite, informative, and professional response to this answer. It should be on a disclosure right at the AoC shops page.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    the game is a long way from being finished so I would just sit back and wait till beta to see if its for you.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace