Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wind

FreehugFreehug Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
Ive seen many videos of the environment looks great but I feel its missing something.Ive notice some of the plants,trees moving ,will you be working on this in the future

Leaf Fluttering in Wind
Fallen Leafs
Sand storms

Comments

• Options
    NerdalertNerdalert Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Creation of the Daystrider video has some weather/wind effects in it. Posted almost exactly a year ago on their Youtube if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    There was grass and flowers moving .Im just hoping for more life in the environment thats all
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just remember this is a MMO the systems have to be downgraded to work without lag but what we have so far is better than 90% of MMOs
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    true
  • Options
    Wouldn't wind be critical for naval navigation and thus will be implemented for launch?

So we should have wind in the overall world, as far as minor things like leaf fluttering I would guess it would come with the overall wind mechanics but couldn't be certain.
  • Options
    Skylarck wrote: »
    Wouldn't wind be critical for naval navigation and thus will be implemented for launch?

I'm not expecting such a complex naval system where you have to take wind direction/speed into account. I'm more expecting a "hold forward to go forward" kind of approach! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Archeage had a system where travel in one direction was slightly faster than in the other. This was as a substitute to wind.

I honestly wouldn't even expect that much in Ashes, as most players in Archeage didn't even know about the difference.
  • Options
    NerdalertNerdalert Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For all of its flaws Archeage had very good naval combat and trading routes by sea. I hope naval content takes that same direction, it's been awhile but if I remember correctly I think the direction you were going and what type of boat/sails you had would dictate favorable wind conditions. Not too complicated but not simple either.

Some of the most nervous moments I've ever had while gaming came from those damn cargo runs for charcoal. Sometimes your number is just up. ya know?
  • Options
    this was added and updated thanks for listening
  • Options
    I actually expect naval movement to be that complex! I hope it is. If all you have to worry about are your directional keys, it sounds a bit dull to me. When you have larger ships, you still only captain it yourself. Your crew will manage the guns and everything else. So I don’t think it would be too much for one person to handle variable wind speeds if all they’re doing is steering the vessel.

It would heighten the skill ceiling and tension during PvP and trade route encounters for sure. I really loved having wind affect the sailing content in Valheim, if any of you are familiar with that, so I hope the end result echoes that part of their system to some extent.
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Just remember this is a MMO the systems have to be downgraded to work without lag but what we have so far is better than 90% of MMOs

I'm going to be honest when I saw the video that got me nervous on how it will do with other players.

Here's a video if anyone dont wanna search it up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYN5PWlST4Q
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wind at sea: Certainly, a significant factor. In a small single person craft, one person should be able to tack into the wind without too much difficulty once they learn how. If we have a large craft, it should require several people to man the rudder, drop and reset the sails, and so forth. In other words, make it realistic!

If there are lakes large enough to sail on, the wind should impact there just like on the ocean.

On land: Varied wind speeds (same for oceans, of course), but winds up in the mountains ought to routinely be stronger than on the plains. Wind ought to vary with weather and season - when a fall rainstorm blows in the wind ought to pick up. Perhaps most importantly, wind should impact missiles. If you shoot an arrow a long distance into a crosswind, the arrow should move downwind realistically so you have to adjust for it in your aim. If the wind is behind you, the range and force of your arrow increases. If you are shooting into the wind, just the opposite.

I would guess that wind won't impact most magic spells, except perhaps ones which use physical objects like dust, rocks or water.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Perhaps most importantly, wind should impact missiles. If you shoot an arrow a long distance into a crosswind, the arrow should move downwind realistically so you have to adjust for it in your aim. If the wind is behind you, the range and force of your arrow increases. If you are shooting into the wind, just the opposite.

I would guess that wind won't impact most magic spells, except perhaps ones which use physical objects like dust, rocks or water.

I would argue against this. In a real life situation, you can determine wind direction and speed much more easily through feeling, rather than in a video game where you can only see its effects on the environment (and maybe your clothes if you have enough cloth on them) and from a relatively distant third person view at that. The environment will never display full realism in wind effects, so even that's a poor measurement in itself. In the last weather update, the wind system did show an array of speed and displayed general patterns, but not well enough for a player to make split second decisions about wind impact on missiles.