Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Canceling spells

After seeing the mage and the cleric previews I noticed that some spell animations uses the whole body (which is nice) and the air (hovering/flying). My question, which can probably be answered by the alpha 1 testers but can't since the NDA, is how will spell canceling work/feel. If I do spell where I'm flying/hovering and suddenly cancel the spell by moving, will I then be teleported back to the ground or will that trigger a very simple animation?

Comments

• Options
    That's a good question. Combat would feel incredibly clunky as a mage if you couldn't cancel spells.
  • Options
    sarkadosarkado Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Assuming you had a flying/hover skill there would definitely be certain requirements on the functionality, but that is all subjective to the creative process of Steven. So while I can theory craft a solid answer for you, no one can truly answer this question at this point.

So assuming you had this flying / hover skill we would expect it to function as follows:

1. You can't move or it cancels and you fall to the ground from your current location.
    2. You must continuously channel the skill
    3. The skill is instant cast and lasts for a set duration of time, after which you will either A. Descend slowly to the ground after timer expires. B. Take no fall damage as you plummet to the ground. C. Take potentially fatal fall damage depending on the height from which you fell.

If we assume this skill is a timed cast skill, if you were to cancel it I would expect you to just stop all animations and you may have a small cooldown before you can re-cast the spell.

If we assume this skill is instant cast you would assumingly right click the ability on your buff bar to cancel it and a scenario from #3 A-C would take place with no special animation would be my assumption.
  • Options
    Maviodas wrote: »
    I agree with that. It needs to be streamline and fluid, but also as long as the animation and the abilities damage are both cancelled I think it should be a thing! Just don't want people cutting animations but still delivering damage like in some MMOs >.>

Like ESO, where it was too hard to fix, so they just said it was a combat feature...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Maviodas wrote: »
    I agree with that. It needs to be streamline and fluid, but also as long as the animation and the abilities damage are both cancelled I think it should be a thing! Just don't want people cutting animations but still delivering damage like in some MMOs >.>

Like ESO, where it was too hard to fix, so they just said it was a combat feature...

I kind of like the animation canceling in ESO, I mean yeah it was kind of like a "exploit" but it meant that if you knew how to do it you could pump out some insane dps and or hps.
    But I also think that it shouldn't be a thing in any other MMOs, it should be a weird ESO thing xD
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like the way they did Teleport for mages in Maplestory - you can teleport halfway through casting a spell and finish the rest of the spell afterward.

Can't wait to see the combat revamp come March!
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    The only way I can see spell cancelling not being absolutely ridiculous is if most of not all spells become grounded, even keeping some of the significant casts airborne however to a much more toned down degree will allow for this to be much more visually smooth.