Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Um... Hello? Non-Affiliated Game-Dev People? Where are our Pre-Games?

TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
If yours truly could suggest a pleasing "while-we-wait" side-game, then I'd first and foremost suggest a re-skin of the 1997 classic "Lords of the Realm 2". If we could get this for some of the races of Verra, I think it'd amount to a very minor investment of Mod'ing, to help hype (as well as to provide some content-to-be for the mobile app) AoC; We could potentially have some easter eggs in there for those of use who lived through 1990's gaming, via the relatively low expense of buying some rights to older games that in-and-of-themselves aren't controlled by their original owners, anymore - or at the very least, via mod'ing previous game-favs beyond the point of immediate recognition.

Is there anyone on staff who was subject to the legendary foul mouth of Roberta Williams, former CEO of Sierra games? They had some epic music for their games that newer generations might enjoy as combat background, while others of us would get a big smile out of the Easter egg of LOR2's siege-music coming up, when AoC sieges begin. Wasn't Sanctus a back-up world? Would there not have been some Sanctan wars, wherein the limited resources of the pocket-world would have been contested?

We could use some "while-we-wait" mini-games, between now and Launch Day. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Rights to old games aren't exactly cheap, especially the games people remember fondly. Publishers tend to want to keep hold of these just in case.

The X-COM series is a good example of this.

I wouldn't be keen on Intrepid developing any other titles right now. They should focus on Ashes, and we can always play other games in the mean time.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought he was asking for the community to make a AOC mod based on another game.

I could always make a Verra Minecraft map... but my heart just is not in the mood for that right now.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I thought he was asking for the community to make a AOC mod based on another game.

I could always make a Verra Minecraft map... but my heart just is not in the mood for that right now.

I would think we don't have nearly enough information on any aspect of the game, the lore or the world to be able to do that.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    I would think we don't have nearly enough information on any aspect of the game, the lore or the world to be able to do that.

I would use the map we have to make, a biome color map. Use that to generate the world with a custom world generator from image. Throw in some random RPG mods, and call it a day.

We would be on clean version of Verra with its own rules. Not the same as AOC, but something to do that would be easy. I have been into MC modding and server hosting in the past. I know its all doable. I am just not really feeling MC enough to do it.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Yes - this!
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited January 2021
    Yours truly is only beginning the path to game dev - but there's plenty of people out there with experience, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few AoC mods for older games, if anyone can cook something up while we're waiting for Launch Day.