Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mob type ideas

So far the wiki has 14 different mob types listed for enemies we will be up against out in the world. Besides the 14 listed, what else would you want to see?

- Undead?
- Planar monstrosities from the void?
- Mermaids and sharks, kraken?
- Giant Dune worm?
- Spiderpig?

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to see void type entities. Undead is a given. I think they have the opportunity to really get creative with the world of Verra. I really think they need to do something lore related with a "creation from the ashes" and not just sum it up to be the general idea of how the world is in the game (after all this time we are the ashes of creation). So much possibilities there!
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    I would like to see void type entities. Undead is a given. I think they have the opportunity to really get creative with the world of Verra. I really think they need to do something lore related with a "creation from the ashes" and not just sum it up to be the general idea of how the world is in the game (after all this time we are the ashes of creation). So much possibilities there!

Agreed. In the wiki at least they mention other planes, but have been fairly silent about how many or what they might be. Opens a lot of possibilities for npcs and mobs from said planes in addition to the lore associated the material plane.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not that concerned with what the different mobs are, as long as they are actually different, not just in looks but in behaviour. I'm so sick of being in an mmorpg where all the mobs act the exact same way with the same lame basic attack. An animal should behave and fight differently to a human, and an undead monster should behave differently as well.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Everdark wrote: »
    So far the wiki has 14 different mob types listed for enemies we will be up against out in the world. Besides the 14 listed, what else would you want to see?

- Undead?
    - Giant Dune worm?
    - Spiderpig?

I think Spiderpig would be a little OP. He'd probably have some sort of power to weasel his way into your party and then break you apart from the inside, cause half your party to get stuck under an inescapable dome, and the rest to be teleported miles away to the mountains, and a vicious poison ability that mutates anything it comes into contact with. Good luck anybody thinking they can beat that! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »

- Undead?
    - Giant Dune worm?
    - Spiderpig?

I think Spiderpig would be a little OP. He'd probably have some sort of power to weasel his way into your party and then break you apart from the inside, cause half your party to get stuck under an inescapable dome, and the rest to be teleported miles away to the mountains, and a vicious poison ability that mutates anything it comes into contact with. Good luck anybody thinking they can beat that! :D

"I thought the maximum party size was 8?"
    "It is."
    "Oh - why does my screen say we have 9 people in the party?"
    :flushed:
    "run."
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am personally hoping they do more of their own thing and come up with their own unique monsters. Less of the same old trope of Tolkien , D&D other folk lore stuff get off the beaten path and make some original monsters. The old stuff can be cool but don't be afraid to carve your own path.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am personally hoping they do more of their own thing and come up with their own unique monsters. Less of the same old trope of Tolkien , D&D other folk lore stuff get off the beaten path and make some original monsters. The old stuff can be cool but don't be afraid to carve your own path.

I agree that some new things would be cool, but so to is having things that us players instantly recognize.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Agreed some of the instantly recognizable stuff should be there I would just like to see them stay on the path they have started on and keep doing new stuff.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2021
    Would love to see variation in size so we have massive beasts in the wild, possibly in herds, that are just tough mobs instead of bosses.
  • Options

They already have walking mushroom-things, funky dinosaur-raptors, etc. So, it looks like we should get a nice selection! :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

- Undead?
    - Giant Dune worm?
    - Spiderpig?

You hurt my undead and I will hurt you ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

- Undead?
    - Giant Dune worm?
    - Spiderpig?

> AoC releases an expansion with an undead area
    > Nagash becomes #1 on the corrupted players list for bounty hunters
    :D:D
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    maouw wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

- Undead?
    - Giant Dune worm?
    - Spiderpig?

> AoC releases an expansion with an undead area
    > Nagash becomes #1 on the corrupted players list for bounty hunters
    :D:D

True
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    MaciejMaciej Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hags are my favorite monster type since I run my D&D group through Feywild. They are smart, they are creepy, they synergize with each other, they can fit any role from casters to brawlers.

dd-hags.jpg?resize=590%2C1024&ssl=1
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm going to revive this thread because I was going to ask what people's favorite mob types were, but this is close enough/new enough to work off of.

I absolutely hate snakes in games. Conan Exiles/ARK has some really nasty looking snakes. Every time I see them I can feel my heart beat faster and I get so scared and usually flee. I hate how they move and look and ugh! For those reason I super duper want a slithery snake type creature because although I hate it...it's pretty good fun.

Oh also ant types. I like killing them...because ants suck.
  • Options
    LuthienstormLuthienstorm Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel the same way as Mist. I want mobs that feel different when interacting with them. If I were on the design team I would want mobs to be scripted by 10 determinations.
    Type: Undead, animal, humanoid, dragon, troll, giant, ect
    Intelligence: insect, animal, humanoid, modern, prepared, adaptive, genius
    Movement: Territorial, patrol, erratic, destination, changing tag, limited, none
    Volatility: Aggressive, passive, selfish, unselfish, helpful, hurtful, opportunist
    Rarity: common, uncommon, rare, unique, legendary
    Behavior: Pack, solo, pair, hive, organization,
    Migration: How does it spawn?
    Stage: Does this mob have multiple stages of battle?
    World connection: Does day/night, seasonal, tide, or natural occurring event change any of these categories, attacks, or capabilities?
    Player connection: How other species, quests, node changes, and how many creatures have recently been killed in this area affect their spawn rate.

Example: Zombie mob (controlled by a Zombie Lord, imagine many weak zombies with one in the center)
    Type: Undead
    Intelligence: Hive (if the zombie lord is destroyed the magic infusing the rest of the zombies fall)
    Movement: Territorial or destination
    Volatility: Agressive to non-undead
    Rarity: Rare (each rare mob has a 5 - 10% variation of stats)
    Behavior: Hive ( once one is attacked they all turn)
    Migration: They spawn from the graves in cemeteries, swamps, and place where fell magics were/are practiced. Typically appear by coming out of the ground or water.
    Stage: Most zombies mobs are destroyed with the zombie lord however, once in a while the magic the zombie lord wielded retain until all their bodies are destroyed, or only half the zombies were summoned and a second set is summoned from the graves once 40 - 60% of the zombies are killed.
    World connection: Only come out at night. When the dark god rises, an eclipse occurs, or ect...their stats increase by 20%.

I just hope the world is truly dynamic.

• Options
    I hope they check all the boxes in the old D&D monster compendium personally. But definitely hope to see undead creatures, skeletons, zombies, ghosts. All the spooky stuff. Those area are my favorite to roam during Halloween season.
  • Options
    I'd like if all NPCs and monsters had the same classes (or at least the same skills) as the players. Each with their own racial augments, of course, but lots of varied template for their mechanics. Archers, casters, tanks, rogue-type... So long as it's appropriate for the type of creature (spider bard would be a hard sell for example, but maybe they can figure something creative enough to make it believable).
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Murlocs are Must have for a Successful MMO
    Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!