Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Concerns about Airships between Scientific metropolis'

I don't know at which point of the node leveling we will find out if the node will be a scientific node or not so go easy on me. So this maybe resovloed somewhat if we know early enough so that we can level certain cities and not others.

Some servers may have one of each type of metropolis and 2 of only one kind or many of one kind and none of another.
At this point I learned that airships will be made available between only scientific metropolis' which would be a waste of time and man power if some servers cant get the airships due to lacking at least 2 scientific nodes developed to travel through.

Solution, maybe:
Once metropolis level cities exist a flight path is developed, science or not. But the flight path goes, lets say clock wise. So traveling to some other metropolis is time consuming.
If science exists then all the cities connect directly to that city. This gives the citizens of science a perk of being able to go anywhere directly while everyone else has to travel through the science.
If multiple science exists then each science would have the same option.

This way the airships are always used and not having wasted developer time.

This kinda goes for all other types of cities. Each would still provide each others perks but to a lesser degree vs. being absolute and not used at all if never developed.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    A thing to keep in mind, just because a server levels up two specific nodes at the start, doesn't mean those two nodes will always be metropolis nodes on that server.

The nodes that are metropolis level will change over time. As such, the airships are not something that is supposed to be permanant on any server - they will exist when they exist, and not exist when they don't.
  • Options
    At what point will we know what type of nodes we are leveling?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    vs631 wrote: »

By level 1.

If a node levels up from 0 to 1, it becomes an expadition (or a crossroads). You can tell what type of node it is at that point by the type of NPC's.
  • Options

The devs have said that there will be hints at what the node type is, even on a Level 1 node. e.x. priests or a sergeant that have quests in that node.

And to answer/respond to your earlier question, that scenario is exactly what is meant/going to happen. So let's say there is only 1 scientific metropolis. The people who want a second science metropolis will be encouraged to start a siege against the node that stops that from happening.

This is likely to be common place, as I said before, their will always be a different demand for a node.
    logo10.png?width=280&height=277
  • Options
    I think that each metropolis should have minor benefits of the other types while giving a major bonus to its specific type.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2021

Yeah it's a bit of a change where players might not experience some of the content based on their choices, but it seems to be something the developers have willingly accepted as a worthwhile price for giving players that level of choice.

I think the intention is when players realise they haven't experienced certain content, it might motivate them to shake things up, like siege a divine metropolis and build their scientific one, so it's kind of works in that sense - creating new goals for players and making the world more dynamic.
  • Options
    I think that each metropolis should have minor benefits of the other types while giving a major bonus to its specific type.

I mean, they do.

All nodes provide the ability to build a religious building - but the religious node takes religion further.

All nodes have the ability to build a market, but the economic node takes it further.

We don't have all the details on all the node types yet, but the details we do have so far suggest to me that there will be an attempt to have a bonus to any node type if there are two metropolis nodes of that type on the server at once. For scientific nodes, that is the airship, for economic nodes, that is their marketplace being joined. These are the two nodes we have the most information about so far, so I would expect to see a boon of some form from the other two nodes if multiple metropolis nodes exist of them.
  • Options
    I did forget about the additional buildings possibilities. Thanks for clarifying
  • Options
    palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ravudha wrote: »

Yeah it's a bit of a change where players might not experience some of the content based on their choices, but it seems to be something the developers have willingly accepted as a worthwhile price for giving players that level of choice.

I think the intention is when players realise they haven't experienced certain content, it might motivate them to shake things up, like siege a divine metropolis and build their scientific one, so it's kind of works in that sense - creating new goals for players and making the world more dynamic.

I agree with Ravudha. It would be more interesting to see the players of a server decide that they needed X,Y,Z than having the designers lay it out for them. It's more fitting in the world of Ashes of Creation where players are the ones that builds the world.
  • Options
    Every world (server) is intended to be different, from other the others - it's part of the magic of a sandbox.

Given the Medieval-type of setting, it feels like Airships *should* be an exceptionally limited thing. Since AoC's is also to be a High-Fantasy game, it'd definately be a really neat thing to see, in-game.

Yours truly strongly supports the current plan, for them: *If* a server has 2 Scientific metropolises, *then* we get to see them. I don't want every city - nor even every Metropolis - to have them, as this takes away from the rarity and awe, in seeing/riding them; It's entirely possible that there will be servers upon which players game for a few years straight and NEVER see them. That's fine with me.