Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mini-Game Suggestion: Summoner Control Over Legendary Demons

7 players are gathered in a dungeon, just outside the final boss's detection-range. There *were* 8, but BillTheWide had to drop to go grab 2nd dinner. To add to the troubles, KaneDeeKane is having MAJOR connection issues, and he's supposed to be the Tank.

On the off-chance that one is available, SomeMoaner (the Summoner in the group) decides to check the Legendary Demon list, which will show the status of the server's 3 "Legendary Demons" - creatures with the strength of 2 or 3 strong level 50 players versus NPCs.... normally. Much to SomeMoaner's surprise, one is available, not presently in use by any other Summoner on the server, for the moment. Over Discord, he gets three others in the group to join him in making a square. The incantations are set and - POOF! - a very resentful Demon comes forth for the next 20 minutes, and immediately looks for flaws in how he was summoned. If there are? Then he's about to have the strength of *10* players, and the party is about to greatly regret SomeMoaner's actions.

However, there are no mistakes - and the Demon enters the party's service, more than capable of Tanking the final dungeon boss. Here, however, SomeMoaner's own, separate battle begins. In addition to having to side-step fight hazards in the final confrontation, he's now got an entirely different battle to focus upon: maintaining control of the Legendary Demon. Different spells of control must be cast and re-cast, and only from certain locations. One bad judgement in timing, one single spell cast too soon or too late, and the Dungeon boss will no longer be the biggest threat....

Yay/Nay? The notion occurred to me while commenting in another thread, and it sounded like something that was both viable and engaging for the to-be Summoner class, for combat.

Comments

• Options
    BlightEmpireBlightEmpire Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    While i like the idea of legendary summons which im all for. Im not sure about this use for it.... its a interesting mechanic that it could turn on you but.... dunno seems a bit overcomplicated to me. Now downing it just saying it might need a fair bit of valuation.
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited February 2021
    A big thanks to DaveyWavey for posting a link regarding something akin to this, via the Wiki:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Siege_summons

This is kind of what I'm talking about, here. Something big, beefy, and potentially taking more than one Summoner, to call. I never had this specific page come up when reading the Wiki, but it's got some neat concept ideas the team has already speculated upon.

Yours truly will eagerly be looking for later systems like this to start filling out!