Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should the final boss be instanced or open world?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I hate the idea of zerg = win. I also hate the idea instanced content on farm status. We shall see what Intrepid does. I will not complain without playing it first.

World bosses should be the pinnacle of difficulty, and gear progression. They will be the acid test for the PVX model in Ashes I think.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    end game content should be instanced but earned through some form of open world unlock. Maybe max lvl node/city unlocking the content for the local faction to be able to experience. If all of the best content is able to be griefed, people will get tired of dying while trying to do the content. We need a way to organize and progress as a group IMO.
  • Options
    Open world ... if people are afraid of being steamrolled. they should plan their encounter better.
    Have scouts, form alliances with other guilds, communicate with each other and be prepared.

PvP is not only about numbers, by having eyes on potential groups you can either run off or prepare for battle. People have forgotten how much influence good communication can have in PvP.

Forming a good community will be key to achieving your personal objectives in Ashes and this will for sure be the case for raid bosses.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    halbarz wrote: »
    Open world ... if people are afraid of being steamrolled. they should plan their encounter better.
    Have scouts, form alliances with other guilds, communicate with each other and be prepared.

PvP is not only about numbers, by having eyes on potential groups you can either run off or prepare for battle. People have forgotten how much influence good communication can have in PvP.

Forming a good community will be key to achieving your personal objectives in Ashes and this will for sure be the case for raid bosses.

If they allow the best content to be open world, best believe I will be bringing 300-1200 people with me to shut you down lol. You are absolutely incorrect that pvp is not about numbers. It will be a steamroll on whatever node I want to control. Just like someone can form an alliance to stop a zerg, so can other guilds form an alliance to zerg. Even if evenly matched, try killing a raid boss while fighting an equal number of players. It would be cancer to get any content done without going extreme and doing "late" raids....which I feel is more than we should have to deal with as players. This is a game, not a second job.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd like to see some kind of pseudo-instancing. It's open world, but it has a giant door/barrier that when the boss is engaged it activates the barrier or door to block everyone else who's not in the area. This stops massive guilds from messing up your fight 75% of the way through, but also allows raids to compete against each other during the first phase of the boss.

There are a lot of challenges with this. If during the first phase of a boss there is more than one raid in the designated boss zone, then it does its normal mechanics but also pulses an ever increasing AOE. The purpose of the AOE is mostly to not allow people to just heal through it, but also forcing stealthers out so that they can't stick around for forever. The increasing AOE also serves as a sort of enrage timer, eventually being a one-shot. If you were to try to zerg it, the boss recognizes the number of players around them and either one-shots everyone in the room, or simply leaves, like flies away, burrows underground, escapes into a side room and shuts the door, something. This makes for an anti-zerg mechanic.

While there are plenty of potential issues that exist the biggest one that I see is What happens after you've successfully defeated the other players, you've fought tooth and nail, and your raid team one, but 10+ of your raid are dead. Do they auto-rez? Do they get the option to run back and enter the room? Can you rez them during combat?

Furthermore, this stops raids from kiting bosses back to Metropolis nodes and killing them there by zerging them too, granted that can be solved by leash ranges.

I'm not a game dev, so this is literally me putting 30 minutes of thought while also watching a random twitch stream, so idk. Take it or leave, idc. XD