Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

To what degree will we be able to customize how our character looks?

How much freedom will we be given as to how we look in AoC? Will you be able to "transmute" our gear into different appearances like in GW2 where you can use transmutation stones to make any article of your armor take on an appearance to that of another of which you've collected? Will we be able to decide how our armor looks on craft like in ESO? I ask this because I feel that allowing players to express themselves through this would increase engagement and allow for a wider variety of player driven goals, potentially leading to the satisfying of finally getting that look.

I want to glance at player and get a solid first impression of them. From how long they've played the game, their accomplishments, their wealth, or simply their great fashion sense. I want a fashion system where you will rarely, if ever, find two players who look just the same.

Now, I am entirely confident that the developers are already aware of players who take a particular interest in their character's looks. They are even basing their cash shop around it, but what I'm wondering just how far we can go with it. What options will we have to make our characters "pop" from the crowd? Will this be a game where you can agonize for hours trying to get a certain look? Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    From what I have read/seen...

I think they stated they want to meet or exceed the character creation customization of "Black Desert online".

Cosmetics unfortunately appear to be whole body slots. (You can't mix and match the legs of one cosmetic with the arms of another cosmetic. I also don't think you can dye cosmetics)
    You can mix and match regular armor, and dye it, but the stats are what they are.

I don't know why we can't get a good game where all cosmetics are dyeable, and all slots are interchangeable. I is just the world we live in I guess.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I see, well even dyes can allow for some expression and make armor look a lot better if done right. I just worry if we will get to a situation where most players who don't utilize the cash shop cosmetics will be walking around in the same handful of "meta" armors.

I know each server and even region will probably have a different style due to how nodes work, I just hope that, there will be systems in place to allow player expression outside of housing and what build you run.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Supposed to be an item transmog system as well. Plus with gear being made and anyone can use anything hopefully we don't all look the same.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I’m hoping for a robust character creator that allows for varying heights, body types, and markings like scars and tattoos (more than one, nothing kills my joy like having to pick between and arm tattoo and a facial scar). I’d also like an in-game salon that lets me change tattoos and hairstyles, but keeps characters fairly consistent in appearance.

For gear, I enjoy being able to transmog every piece of gear and dye every piece of that gear section by section (I’m used to three dye channels). Full costumes are something I use mostly for seasonal things like holidays or to give a nod to equinoxes and solstices, but I’d hope for the most part they’re freely dyeable.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Caeryl wrote: »
    I’m hoping for a robust character creator that allows for varying heights, body types, and markings like scars and tattoos (more than one, nothing kills my joy like having to pick between and arm tattoo and a facial scar). I’d also like an in-game salon that lets me change tattoos and hairstyles, but keeps characters fairly consistent in appearance.

For gear, I enjoy being able to transmog every piece of gear and dye every piece of that gear section by section (I’m used to three dye channels). Full costumes are something I use mostly for seasonal things like holidays or to give a nod to equinoxes and solstices, but I’d hope for the most part they’re freely dyeable.

Oh I like the idea of barbers and tatoo parlors :)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    WulfenthradWulfenthrad Member
    edited January 2021
    Caeryl wrote: »

This is the kind of customization that would be ideal. Now, GW2 does have this system, but its a genuinely fantastic system, and in my eyes sets the standard for what other MMOs should strive for in their fashion systems. While there are full body cosmetics, they can be applied and removed freely and I often use them when I'm leveling a new character.

I don't think fashion should be an aspect that's ignored, as it can provide player incentive to those who already have the strongest gear, the most elite guild, and wealth beyond the imagination of the common man. With AoC in particular, you could potentially have a massive war to sack a metropolis so that you can develop another node to unlock its dungeon and have access to its unique armor skins. An extreme example, yes, but entirely possible for those with the power and will to do so.

Players can go quite the distance if they can look cool at the end of it, so why not give them that incentive? It is often joked that GW2's endgame is "Fashion Wars 2", but I personally don't see fashion being part of the endgame as an issue. The idea of having a character that can inspire awe in the server can keep players hooked long enough to form social bonds with their comrades, leading to social relationships which can far outlive any MMO. That's pretty awesome for just wanting to wear a silly hat.
  • Options
    MaciejMaciej Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've mixed feelings on armor dyes. As far as player expression goes it's cool, but it severly limits design space when all armor has to have monochromatic zones that can be dyed. In most implementations of it I've seen (including GW2), everything tends to look flat and bland when dyed. I think I'd rather have armor texture that's actually designed by an artist who understands color theory, and that shadows and highlights on materials are rarely of the same hue.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Cosmetics unfortunately appear to be whole body slots. (You can't mix and match the legs of one cosmetic with the arms of another cosmetic. I also don't think you can dye cosmetics)
    You can mix and match regular armor, and dye it, but the stats are what they are.

I don't know why we can't get a good game where all cosmetics are dyeable, and all slots are interchangeable. I is just the world we live in I guess.
    That can't be true. Yes, there are full outfit cosmetics, but I've also bought cloaks and gloves from the shop. So clearly there are cosmetic items that are only part of an outfit, because they've been selling them for years.

I can understand if a cosmetic outfit replaces everything on you and can't be mixed with another cosmetic piece, and I've played other MMOs that do that. Secret World Legends for example has cosmetics that you can swap out a piece at a time, but they also have another category of cosmetics that cover all slots at once (they specifically call them "outfits" to differentiate them from other cosmetics). In fact, I pretty much assume that the full outfits work that way (which is why I have been reluctant to buy them). But there should be no question that some of the cosmetics only cover a part of the body (because those already exist), and I hope that if I wear cosmetic gloves (for example) the rest of my body isn't naked.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ^
    I'm pretty sure fashion works similar to GW2. We have costumes/outfits that cover everything as well as individual pieces that can be used to change the appearance of single slots.
  • Options
    Hi there! You can check out a bit more on where we've discussed the plans for our transmog system here, as well as more details on our planned dye system here.

As others have noted, while the costume cosmetics included in the Pre-Order Packs are full-body cosmetics that cover your whole outfit, there are also individual accessory cosmetics available that cover just one piece or another. Whether or not you will be able to dye a cosmetic costume or accessory would likely depend on the item itself!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Concerning Cosmetics:
    You need to distinguish between cosmetics slots and costumes.

Costumes are full body transmogs, while cosmetic slots can be individually filled.

Imagine it like the cosmetic system in GW2.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Guild Wars 1 had a really cool dye mixing feature. Could make all kinds of interesting combinations.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thanks for the links!

As for Dyes, I could not see various ways they will be obtained. ESO pallet was obtained through quests and achievements which was nice. With New World, gathering different materials then grinding them together to make one off dyes felt far more of sense of accomplishment and gave the goal of gathering random items when traversing the land. That experience I would love to see replicated.
  • Options
    Hi there! You can check out a bit more on where we've discussed the plans for our transmog system here, as well as more details on our planned dye system here.

As others have noted, while the costume cosmetics included in the Pre-Order Packs are full-body cosmetics that cover your whole outfit, there are also individual accessory cosmetics available that cover just one piece or another. Whether or not you will be able to dye a cosmetic costume or accessory would likely depend on the item itself!

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, will there be a cost associated with the transmog system or would a player be able to swap the appearance of their gear freely?

Also, will dyes be craftable? If so, what would separate a lower tier dye from a higher tier dye?

Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    MaciejMaciej Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ok, having read the wiki now, one dye zone per item max sounds like a pretty good system to me.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »
    That can't be true. Yes, there are full outfit cosmetics, but I've also bought cloaks and gloves from the shop. So clearly there are cosmetic items that are only part of an outfit, because they've been selling them for years.

I can understand if a cosmetic outfit replaces everything on you and can't be mixed with another cosmetic piece, and I've played other MMOs that do that. Secret World Legends for example has cosmetics that you can swap out a piece at a time, but they also have another category of cosmetics that cover all slots at once (they specifically call them "outfits" to differentiate them from other cosmetics). In fact, I pretty much assume that the full outfits work that way (which is why I have been reluctant to buy them). But there should be no question that some of the cosmetics only cover a part of the body (because those already exist), and I hope that if I wear cosmetic gloves (for example) the rest of my body isn't naked.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Costumes
    Perhaps "Cosmetics", and "Costumes" are two different things? I have noticed the single slot items before, but I have also seen these specific wordings.

"Costumes are one piece outfits that cover an entire (gear) set."
    "Full costumes do not mix and match pieces.[6] – Steven Sharif"

Which tells me that a lot of those cool looking outfits they are selling monthly, are useless for customization.
    With the exception of the single slot items, which I am assuming are not compatible with the costumes.

When I look at cosmetics, I don't think: "Ohh man that set looks cool I can't wait to wear it like everyone else".
    I instead think: "What parts can I use with other parts from other sets I like to make something cool"

Sadly the only game where you can make something that looks cohesive and unique is FFXIV.
    WOWs transmog system is absolute trash, and anyone who thinks otherwise has not experienced the freedom of having everything be both in the same art style and dyable(mostly).

The fact that they have any "Full Outfits" to me is a major let down. I understand that it may be a little bit of extra work to break all of these outfits up into their individual slots and texture them so that they can be dyed correctly, but I think it is worth it in the long run. Doing that is a far better a lot of the silly asks I see on the forums. I don't even care if some things clip a little.

Who knows, maybe there are not many of these "full outfits", and I am getting worked up about nothing. I will tell you this, I ain't buying any of those monthly outfits because I am under the impression I can't mix and match with them or dye them.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Maciej wrote: »
    Ok, having read the wiki now, one dye zone per item max sounds like a pretty good system to me.

Yeah, I'm assuming the dye system is going to work something like the paint system in TF2, and honestly that's enough. I'm grateful we have the tools to shape how our character looks, I'm looking forward to seeing what the community comes up with once the game comes out.