Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What about executions?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I was just watching an old review by Resonant`s youtube channel, "Why the War of the Roses Failed!". At about the 2min mark he mentions the satisfying "finishing executions" which could be done in any manner of ways, depending on what was equipped. I recall that it made the kill all the more sweeter, rubbing it in at the time!

I liked in New World a newly dead player that could be revived lay on the ground with arms waving for help.

I really like the idea of being able to go over a second time and if time prevails, do finishing execution "coup de grâce"!

In L2, ESO I recall waiting for long periods to be revived but also wishing for those that we had just killed having the second chance to go back over the bodies and take out those that were waiting for a revival, just to hit home that our side had won that round!

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    One of the big reasons I hate GW2 is the "down" feature. I find it funny so many are opposed to CC unless it is the dev's giving a hard 30 second CC then all is ok.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't know what CC means, but I too am not a super fan of being downed. Seeing a bunch of corpses crawl around....while they moan and groan....sometimes a little too much...looking at you Bless Unleashed.

If someone dies I like them to remain dead and out of the fight because it forces multiple people to make multiple choices. Does the person respawn and try to get back in the fight? Do they wait and hope for a rez and if they miss it they'll be too late to join in again? Does the healer stop healing to rez the member? Do they risk losing more people to bring this person back?

This also forces people to strategize which targets to take out first, and makes the need for people who can hit the backlines even more important.

As a support main in most games, I'm used to being heavily targeted. The thrill of running for my life, keeping my party alive, and calling out positions/who needs aid has always given my such thrill. Never been a fan of everyone being able to aid the fallen. How would someone who has only been studying the arcane or the sword know how to treat internal bleeding. Leave that to the healy hands *flex flex*
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2021
    Crowd Control
    Stuns and the like.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    It could be an interesting approach in the case of killing non-combatants, an extra step to prevent accidental corruption. Since our hp are not displayed for people outside our group/raid, a player target could be very low on health and be killed before he has the time to fight back. Requiring an execution on a non combatant would prevent that from happening, but it would also remove that part of the risk.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    It could be an interesting approach in the case of killing non-combatants, an extra step to prevent accidental corruption. Since our hp are not displayed for people outside our group/raid, a player target could be very low on health and be killed before he has the time to fight back. Requiring an execution on a non combatant would prevent that from happening, but it would also remove that part of the risk.

A: you have subsection of HP you will see.
    Simply stop attacking once you see their health bar reaching the last stage of degredation.

B: The whole point of the hidden health bar is the inability to stop attacking someone on low hp. The execution suggestion would work directly against that.
  • Options
    GW2 has the down state, with stomp finishers you can get in game or purchase on their gem store. It adds another step to killing players and gives the enemies a chance to rez each other if you don't finish them. Either by stomping or dpsing them down. It's entertaing and satisfying to get that stomp a player who was giving you a hard time. But I don't see something like that working so well in Ashes.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Age of Conan (the older AoC MMO) had some great execution moves. I played a barbarian and loved knocking people’s heads off. Good times. B)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Age of Conan (the older AoC MMO) had some great execution moves. I played a barbarian and loved knocking people’s heads off. Good times. B)

Yeah, I remember that well...

I also remember playing a scout/ranger and being able to track where someone had walked while they and I were invisible and having endless rounds of griefing each other.
    The first few weeks of that MMO were just a wild crazy opportunistic grief festival!
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NO.
  • Options
    LycancoffeeLycancoffee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    Age of Conan executions were actually a pain. In the early game, they animation locked your toon and basically CC’d you for the animation, which was awful in 1vX or group v group. I can’t remember if they changed it to make you damage immune during the animation later, but having a huge I frame like that also comes with problems.

Speaking from experience in GW2 and AoC, I really don’t like the mechanic of requiring an execution on a downed player, because it seems to cause balance issues in ranged v melee combat, and rewards Zerg tactics over clever tactics.

I understand that this mechanic reduces the horrible feeling of getting “bursted” down without the ability to react, but this is really only a problem when a single player is doing the bursting, and in that case it is more of a gear/class balance issue than it is a combat mechanics problem. Multiple players working together for burst damage should enjoy the reward of instantly taking an enemy out of the fight. It is part of what allows small, well organized groups to defeat disorganized groups of larger numbers.
  • Options
    My original thoughts were kind of based a bit on L2 & ESO, where players would remain "dead" on the ground but stayed there for considerable periods of time waiting for other members to come and resurrect them.

So in reality "mostly dead".... so my thoughts were include a mechanic whereby a if a player was dead for a certain amount of time but still there, then to complete the kill the enemy can come over and finish the task.
    And perhaps an animation to go with it.

In L2, it was quite enjoyable to drop firewood (arrows) on the body and then dance around it like a campfire.. and equally annoying if you were that person on the ground that others were dancing around!