Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Feature Suggestion: Verbal Taunts

TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Hello Friends,

Today I got a neat Feature Suggestion for you, which some of our Community Members in Discord really liked: Verbal Taunts.

Ever thought that just typing in chat to taunt someone isn't fun enough?
How about Verbal Taunts, which you can activate like emotes?

You might be able to unlock new verbal taunts through events, the cosmetic shop or other means.
Verbal Taunts or even entire taunt packs of the same voice could be sold in the cosmetic store.
Some of them may even be time limited.
They could be created in cooperation with various content creators.

An example taunt would be something like:
  • "By the Seven! Your face looks like a Flanggler!"
Try reading this in a dwarven voice with a somewhat Scottish accent, it's glorious!

*What are Flangglers?
Here you go: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Flangglers

Of course it would be quite important to keep those verbal taunt/insults true to the setting so that they fit into the world, and sound like Characters within the World would actually use them.
If they don't feel too out of place, it might even result in players getting more immersed into the game.
Some taunts might even require knowledge about the game world and the setting to be understood (like the Flanggler one).

What do when a Voice Actor is no longer available?
If you ever have to switch out a Voice Actor and no longer have access to a voice, you can just declare the existing taunts from that voice as "legacy voice/taunts" and turn it into a rare collectable.
People who who already had access to these legacy voices would get to keep them.
Players who didn't have the Legacy Voices unlocked wouldn't have access to them, instead would only get access to the new voice, which may include old taunts but voiced by the new voice actor.

*If people request a in-lore explanation on how the Character who is taunting suddenly has a complete new voice: Magical Adjuration of Vocal Cords.

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that voice acting can get rather expensive, and that Intrepid may not have the finances to Impliment this at launch, but that isn't a big deal for me. I'm totally okay with it, if they consider adding it to a long list of features that may be neat to have in the game at some point in the future, If they like this Idea.

*If really needed, there can be a cooldown to these, or a mute function for emotes, If people are really spamming them.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Teyloune wrote: »
    What do when a Voice Actor is no longer available?
    The game isn't launching with voice acting.

If there was a discussion on DIscord about this suggestion (which in itself is fine), and the fact that they do not plan on having voice acting did not come up, then that just says a whole lot as to the point of Discord.
  • Options
    I do hope they add voice acting at all when the game explodes in popularity at launch...but until that point we can only wait
  • Options
    Sword Brother SoriosSword Brother Sorios Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to have a verbal taunt for something like "Get Stuffed" :velexsmug:

Upvote this Discussion post!
    Sorios.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as I can turn character voices down to zero, and it doesn't cost anything. You have my blessing.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    "Git gud"
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This gives me flashbacks to when people would spam laughing emotes...the nightmares...they come for me once again
  • Options
    palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fully voiced lines is not happening for sure. Could work if it only uses basic voices like "Haha!"/"Heh"/"Hmm" with text lines in the chat box.