Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Cosmetic items being sold

recklessreckless Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
Ok I’m done with having to ask about these cosmetics that’s being sold... what does “ *** similar variations *** will be obtainable in-game” mean?? **Show me** an example of a similar variation of a cosmetic item that we’ve had in a previous month side by side with the one people will be able to obtain please. Specifically the armor sets...

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    They can't show you something that hasn't been made yet.
  • recklessreckless Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Noaani wrote: »
    They can't show you something that hasn't been made yet.
    “Make it then!” And show me .... because I’ve spent thousands of dollars on cosmetics I’m expecting to be rare ... and if I can just play the game and get basically the same thing I want my money back.
    I have a better idea.

How about they make the game first?
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited January 2021
    Steven wrote:
    "We offer cosmetics for players who wish to support the project early. The exclusive nature of the limited availability is something I think collectors value. If you buy cosmetics as an MMO player, I know I enjoyed if the cosmetic is rare and not every girl at the party is wearing the same dress. In addition, these cosmetics are used to populate the world through NPC variants and color/texture changes so their offering aligns with our production schedule."

Color/Texture Changes.

So re-using the base model of the fire mage robe with a more icey look.
    File:Sunscorch_Raiment.png
    https://de.ashesofcreation.wiki/Sunscorch_Raiment#/media/File:Sunscorch_Raiment.png

Re-Using this Model with a blue/greyish color scheme and replacing the leaves with ice crystals
    or alternatively
    Re-Using this Model with a purplish/green color scheme and replace the leaves with glowing mushrooms for more of an underground thematic.
    File:Mantle_of_the_Radiant_Grove.png
    https://de.ashesofcreation.wiki/Mantle_of_the_Radiant_Grove#/media/File:Mantle_of_the_Radiant_Grove.png

Re-Using this base model with a blackish/red theme instead of a purple/golden one + Changing up the ornaments to look less imperial and more ...
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/f/ff/Ward_of_the_Implacable.png

At least thats what i expect it to be
    Warth wrote: »
    "We offer cosmetics for players who wish to support the project early. "
    To me, this is the key part.

Cosmetic purchases right now are about supporting Intrepid, if that isn't your primary motivation behind such purchases, you are doing it wrong.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Because OP seems to lack imagination...
    tOwP4Ju.png

TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This seems like a you problem to be honest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    A “you problem “ .... lol... YOU better not complain about shit ... EVER when it comes to ashes of creation because I’m going to be the first to let you know it’s a “you problem “
    Noaani wrote: »
    I have a better idea.

How about they make the game first?

• Vhaeyne wrote: »
    tOwP4Ju.png

thank you @Vhaeyne I'd have done something similar, but my graphic skills are restrained to ms paint.

I personally would not have a problem with your example being in the game achievable. How about you @Noaani
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    tOwP4Ju.png

thank you @Vhaeyne I'd have done something similar, but my graphic skills are restrained to ms paint.

I personally would not have a problem with your example being in the game achievable. How about you @Noaani

I hope it’s not just a color change
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think you're safe reckless, I know Steven holds bought cosmetics in High regards, and I don't think they would do that to people who bought them already. They have enough talented artist's to make new ones over time.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    tOwP4Ju.png

thank you Vhaeyne I'd have done something similar, but my graphic skills are restrained to ms paint.

I personally would not have a problem with your example being in the game achievable. How about you Noaani

Fine with me.
  • reckless wrote: »
    I want my money back.

giphy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Without getting dramatic - I think it is good practise to design exclusives alongside their regular counterparts and see what the exclusive looks like in the context of a crowd of regulars.

Coz what inevitably happens is that the artists in AoC start building a stronger identity in their craft, the quality of things they make gets better, more cohesive and then early exclusives feel like they're missing some salt and pepper.

"But we're in alpha."
    Ah, yes. I forget.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
    maouw wrote: »
    "But we're in alpha."
    Ah, yes. I forget.
    This is kind of it, but also kind of not.

Intrepid have made it fairly clear that you should be purchasing cosmetics at this time primarily to support the game. The reason they said there will be similar in game to what is being sold right now is so that people knew they didn't *need* to spend money to get a look that is on offer now, as that same general look (even if not the exact) will be available in game at some stage.
  • reckless wrote: »
    Ok I’m done with having to ask about these cosmetics that’s being sold... what does “ *** similar variations *** will be obtainable in-game” mean?? **Show me** an example of a similar variation of a cosmetic item that we’ve had in a previous month side by side with the one people will be able to obtain please. Specifically the armor sets...

They said the variants of cosmetics will be in the world, on NPCs/creatures, but not obtainable by other players (Nov live stream 14:40). They also said 'that's not to say that we won't have things that are similar' - this sounds like what other players can get in game might be something similar to a cosmetic but not so similar that it's just a variant.
  • palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Adding to what @Ravudha said, from Margaret's explanation, NPC base models most likely come first before the exclusive cosmetics variants.

You as a PI member surely would have talked about this in your secret PI chat with the developers?
  • Sov54Sov54 Member
    edited January 2021
    First of all, I don't agree with the childish tone OP has used here.

That being said, and changing topic, if you allow me, I must admit that normally I would run away from a game that shows so many cash grabbing cosmetics and not a single decent free one. It would look like another MMO scam.

Not saying that's the case, ofc, as I'm looking forward to this great game, but I can't avoid that bitter feeling in the back of my head.