Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Chat bubbles!

Wanted to know what people thought about chat bubbles, personally, I think they can be great for RP and for general use as its clear who is talking and where. I know a lot of games don't use them in fear of screen clutter or spam bots but When I play these games I often have a hard time figuring out who is talking and it makes RP that much more difficult, and by extension player interaction in general.
I think a message appearing in the chat window can easily be missed but a word bubble on your screen is less easy and feels more real I guess? like THAT guy right there just said "Hey" and that's important imo love to see what others think.

Comments

• Options
    HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as its a toggle i dont mind it. I see those bubbles in some WoW streams and they are annoying as hell for me, so i wouldnt like them as the standard message system.
  • Options
    Hakaiju wrote: »
    As long as its a toggle i dont mind it. I see those bubbles in some WoW streams and they are annoying as hell for me, so i wouldnt like them as the standard message system.

understandable, i think in general I would love options for most features. In WoW you can actually disable them if you don't like them idk why streamers leave them on seems like a risk to me lol
  • Options
    As long as its togglable, and preferably customizable, I would like to see it. It would be a nice option if it could be toggle it on and off, as well as choose if someone wanted to see just party chat and/or DMs rather than everyone in their area. That way players could control how much they wanted to see chat bubbles spammed or not.

Personally I like the feature for combat. It has its uses, such as if a nearby friendly player is dead but someone can't find their body quickly due to things like terrain or visual effects. In that case a chat bubble popping up over the body can help in finding them for a resurrection.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    As a roleplayer, I really just look at the chat window for that most of the time. I couldn't even tell you if I have chat bubbles enabled or not come to think of it. xD
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    They should be optional. I usually mod the other mmos I play that don't have any chat bubbles. I personally need them to be able to tell who's talking.

Chat boxes move too quickly for me haha
  • Options
    Yes we need bubbles
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited April 2022
    Bubbles are great if they are togglable.

Ahhh good ole Runescape
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is an extensive wiki where most wants and desires have already been addressed by Intrepid.

Chat bubbles
    Chat bubbles will be able to be toggled on or off by players. There will be options to manage the bubbles to reduce visual clutter.[11][12]

We do want to include chat bubbles. We do want to include a host of options that will allow you to manage those bubbles so you can turn them on, you don't see just a field of bubbles.[12] – Jeffrey Bard
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Corpier wrote: »
    As long as its togglable, and preferably customizable, I would like to see it. It would be a nice option if it could be toggle it on and off, as well as choose if someone wanted to see just party chat and/or DMs rather than everyone in their area. That way players could control how much they wanted to see chat bubbles spammed or not.

Agree 100%. Also you should be able to quickly right-click someone and "disable chat bubble" to quickly "mute" individuals spamming.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    I love seeing chat bubbles in game. It's just how I grew up in video gaming.
    I am obsessed with anything magic.

• Options
    There will be chat bubbles:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/In_game_chat#Chat_bubbles

Steven's been asked about it in both the Reddit-sourced AMA's (Ask Me Anything) and the monthly Q&A's. The wiki states they will be toggle-able.

If you have additional questions about them, the next Q&A thread should be available on the forums 2 days from now, on Friday.

• Options
    /say should be in chat bubbles. The other types not.

I hope they implement this for us RPers.
    "Sleep just isn't sleep anymore. It's an escape."