My hopes for the Dunir

So I heard from the latest live-stream that the Dwarves will be getting a slight rework to make them a bit stockier and whatnot, and I'm happy the community brought the dwarven build to the devs in the first place. Now I know Ashes of Creation is not related to any other high fantasy universe and I'm not asking for it to be the same, but I think the mountain-dwelling dwarf of some high fantasy universes are absolutely perfect.

Now I am only talking about the Dunir here specifically and not the Nikua because the Nikua have not yet been explored in many fantasy genres. The Dunir, on the other hand, are much more similar to the standard high fantasy dwarf.
I think that Warhammer Fantasy does the dwarf the most justice, both aesthetically and lore-wise.

f2d1196a80b987a8a5481aa866727893.jpg

I mean, take a look at this dwarf, strong, stocky, and god damn look at that armor! And a dwarf isn't just a scaled-down human, the two races should have a completely distinct look and should be distinguishable just by looking at their face or their arms. Less importantly, dwarves in Warhammer are extremely loyal, amazing blacksmiths, sturdy, engineers, etc. And I hope that the Dunir will share some of those qualities.

SPOILER_dunir_cover_photo.png

The aesthetic, so far, is looking fantastic, but definitely needs more, what do you guys think?
Ymir-Transparent-Background.png
ᚺᛖᚨᚱᚦ ᛟᚠᚦᛖ ᛊᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ ᛁᛗᛁᚱ

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I doubt you will get the exact aesthetic from WH. I would expect to get something that is both familiar and unique. Like the WH races are all mostly familiar and unique.

I would not expect to see a massive departure. An example would be that the dwarfs in the Dungeons and Dragons setting Dark Sun have a complete lack of hair. To me this is kinda neat, but for most of my local group this is a bridge too far. I have a bias in that Dark Sun is my favorite setting. Sadly we don't play dark sun because it is so different. Hair is a big part of dwarfs, taking it away is too unfamiliar. With AOC we see things like this:

(High Elves= Familiar) + (Roman Empire=Familiar) = (Empyrean=Unique)

Nothing I have seen in AOC is a bridge too far.
    Nordic dwarfs? All of my dwarf loving friends wont shut up about Norse mythology so I think Dunir will be fine.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Agreed brother, I think it is a good sign the devs moved to improve the Dunir in a more stockier mode. Hopefully the beard options are good.
    The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold. Hammers High!
    y139ot6w1eku.png