Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What kind of prep did the Gods do for our return to Verra?

This question popped into my mind just now and I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

With the assumption that the gods can get a general idea of what's going on over on Verra before returning... Would it not be reasonable for them, and by proxy the mortal races, to prepare some powerful technological tools to deal with the threats present on Verra? I say technological because there is no magic where the races have been hiding at for thousands upon thousands of years.
5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu

Comments

• Options
    This actually sparks some tangent questions like:

- We know the gods will exist but what have they been doing all this time?
    - Did they go with the major races or stay behind?
    - Are the gods more like our "God" that is all powerful and all knowing and thus can be worshiped from literally anywhere or are they more like the Greek Gods that are tied to a geographical location? (and thus had to stay behind)
    - Do these gods get stronger or weaker depending on their followers or are they indifferent and could care less if we worship them or not?
    - Would the Tulnar have worshiped all of them? If so, and they left what would that do to the Tulnar as people?

All sorts of interesting avenues to explore.

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    Don't be expecting a lot before launch comes. Steven's wanting us to explore the lore post-launch; What we've got so far likely won't be expounded upon much, before then.

It feels like an agree-able approach.

Yours truly couldn't tell from the Apocalypse footage if we're going to begin the game in Sanctus, or if we're literally starting the game the moment after our characters have already stepped through the portals. It seems like Sanctus could be a starting area, but then magic wouldn't work there.

Am very much looking forward to getting to explore it all!

• Options
    Don't be expecting a lot before launch comes. Steven's wanting us to explore the lore post-launch; What we've got so far likely won't be expounded upon much, before then.

It feels like an agree-able approach.

Yours truly couldn't tell from the Apocalypse footage if we're going to begin the game in Sanctus, or if we're literally starting the game the moment after our characters have already stepped through the portals. It seems like Sanctus could be a starting area, but then magic wouldn't work there.

Am very much looking forward to getting to explore it all!

Well from what I understand Apocalypse was before the gods sent us to Sanctus. They were basically the remnants that stayed behind to fight for supremacy and survival.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Well from what I understand Apocalypse was before the gods sent us to Sanctus. They were basically the remnants that stayed behind to fight for supremacy and survival.

Aye! Some good back-story, in that, with those who were left behind slugging it out, having missed the portals.

Makes me all the more curious about what the first few minutes in-game will show us. Obviously, we get to choose a portal to go through as a starting location, but I wonder if it's just going to be a menu, or if we'll literally start off in Sanctus, have some demo about how to move and slash and block, and then choose a portal to walk through?

I *think* they've said it was 3000+ years that the exiled races were gone from Verra. Yours truly can't recall the source on that, right now, and can't check for a few more hours. You've got to figure that Sanctus's civilizations would have some kind of lore, in-and-of themselves, with that kind of time on their hands.

• Options
    This question popped into my mind just now and I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

With the assumption that the gods can get a general idea of what's going on over on Verra before returning... Would it not be reasonable for them, and by proxy the mortal races, to prepare some powerful technological tools to deal with the threats present on Verra? I say technological because there is no magic where the races have been hiding at for thousands upon thousands of years.

Well, the mortal races had forgotten about Verra and the Divine Gateways, so they wouldn't have built any technology specifically for use back on Verra.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Well, the mortal races had forgotten about Verra and the Divine Gateways, so they wouldn't have built any technology specifically for use back on Verra.

What? Is that actually true? No hundred year heads up from the gods? No interaction/talking with the gods on this whole exodus back to Verra? That feels odd to me.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 2021
    What? Is that actually true? No hundred year heads up from the gods? No interaction/talking with the gods on this whole exodus back to Verra? That feels odd to me.

From what I remember, the lore was something like: "Stories became myths, myths became legends, and the legends were forgotten."
  • Options

From what I remember, the lore was something like: "Stories became myths, myths became legends, and the legends were forgotten."

That just makes me question more. So, does this mean the gods just "flash flooded" the races with the news that they were being moved back to Verra and then they just kicked them out against their will?
  • Options
    "Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities. Over eons, history became legend, then even the great legends were at last forgotten.[77]"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore#The_fall
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 2021
    No interaction/talking with the gods on this whole exodus back to Verra? That feels odd to me.

If the Gods' power stems from the Essence, and there's no Essence on Sanctus, maybe the Gods weren't able to join the races on Verra due to the risk of losing their power?
  • Options
    No interaction/talking with the gods on this whole exodus back to Verra? That feels odd to me.

If the Gods' power stems from the Essence, and there's no Essence on Sanctus, maybe the Gods weren't able to join the races on Verra due to the risk of losing their power?

Well Sanctus was created by one of the gods, it would be odd if they couldnt go there themselves.
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't think we should get to know what prep the Gods have done before the return to Verra and definitely not before it suits the storyline to tell us.

Look at it from a god's perspective; why have followers if you have to do all the hard work yourself?!
    I think the gods intend for mortals to fight the corruption in Verra for them. Why else make the four/eight races as a more corruption resistant solution after the first uber race went wrong?

The less "hands on" a god is the more mysterious they seem. Gods need to be a set of ideals to aspire to, not just "the guy that gives me 'Call Lightning' ". Gods need to not look like a tool (and no one wants to look like a tool!). That said, the divine gateways were obviously a necessary "hands on" intervention.

In RL settings, the actions of gods (allegedly!) happened thousands of years ago and are the stuff of religion, myths and legend. In AoC the divine gateways will happen at launch and most players (understandably) will be "Meh, it's how the game starts", completely missing the massive religious response that would occur if it were a RL event in a medieval world. I wouldn't want players to overlook that chunk of immersion as it enhances the story IMO.

It would be good to hear/read the religious doctrine/values for each god so that the RPers (and others) can develop a motivational aspect of their characters before launch.

It would also be good to know what the religious leaders are saying about why we are leaving Sanctus. Perhaps that will be lumped into the initial tutorial. as @Tyranthraxus said earlier.
    Forum_Signature.png