Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Teleportation, Transportation & Travel - How are we gonna make moving around good?

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
How we move around in the world is a very important factor in an MMORPG.
  • It affects gameplay. You meet people while moving around. Friends or foes.
  • It affects immersion. A good system makes the world feel alive, big and immersive.
  • It gives the devs a chance to show of the wonders of the world they have created.
  • It offers a new gameplay dimension, logistics
  • Probably more but whatevs

Many MMO:s fall into a trap when they offer flying mounts to everyone or create a massive insta-tp system. I personally feel like building a game around a teleport spamming system is bad.

What do you think is important when making traveling fun in this game?

Comments

• Options
    Frankly, you covered most bases in your post. Some degree of fast travel is necessary of course, but it should be very limited.
  • Options
    StretchStretch Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think you nailed it. This is one of the many things I'm looking forward to.
    With how big the map is going to be and the lack of fast travel, I can't wait to just set off in a random direction and go exploring with the background music turned up, not knowing who or what I will encounter!
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This...
    01kIb3Q.png
    This will make moving around fun.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only fast travel currently being considered (apart from advancing a scientific node to Metropolis level) is a family tp. Current idea:

Max family size: 8.
    TP cooldown: 30 mins.

See more here
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Marzzo wrote: »

Looking cute while doing it.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Jamation wrote: »
    Marzzo wrote: »

Looking cute while doing it.

Not going to lie, part of me thinks this is what a lot of people will spend the bulk of their time in Ashes doing - looking cute while traveling around.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    This...
    01kIb3Q.png
    This will make moving around fun.

Heck yeah!

They clocked me riding this baby going 3mph, in a 2mph zone....

• Options
    Yours truly has been planning on settling in and supporting a Scientific Node since first looking over Node types. Am a great fan of keeping air-travel to a minimum, so the notion of having airships go between 2 Scientific Metropolises seems reasonable, *if* there are 2.

• Options
    To me what is important in variety in the sense that nothing is granted. What I mean is that since Ashes will have open world PvP, that is more than enough for me to fee l that sensation of variety; knowing that PvP ambushes are a real threat. When an NPC whishes me safe travels, his words will carry much more weight since there's been reports of a mercenary guild going around making the roads unsafe.

In short, knowing I could be killed on the way to my destination is exciting/scary/different and important to making travel feel special.