Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Teleportation, Transportation & Travel - How are we gonna make moving around good?

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
How we move around in the world is a very important factor in an MMORPG.
  • It affects gameplay. You meet people while moving around. Friends or foes.
  • It affects immersion. A good system makes the world feel alive, big and immersive.
  • It gives the devs a chance to show of the wonders of the world they have created.
  • It offers a new gameplay dimension, logistics
  • Probably more but whatevs

Many MMO:s fall into a trap when they offer flying mounts to everyone or create a massive insta-tp system. I personally feel like building a game around a teleport spamming system is bad.

What do you think is important when making traveling fun in this game?

Comments

• Frankly, you covered most bases in your post. Some degree of fast travel is necessary of course, but it should be very limited.
  • StretchStretch Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think you nailed it. This is one of the many things I'm looking forward to.
    With how big the map is going to be and the lack of fast travel, I can't wait to just set off in a random direction and go exploring with the background music turned up, not knowing who or what I will encounter!
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This...
    01kIb3Q.png
    This will make moving around fun.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only fast travel currently being considered (apart from advancing a scientific node to Metropolis level) is a family tp. Current idea:

Max family size: 8.
    TP cooldown: 30 mins.

See more here
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Marzzo wrote: »

Looking cute while doing it.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Jamation wrote: »
    Marzzo wrote: »

Looking cute while doing it.

Not going to lie, part of me thinks this is what a lot of people will spend the bulk of their time in Ashes doing - looking cute while traveling around.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    This...
    01kIb3Q.png
    This will make moving around fun.

Heck yeah!

They clocked me riding this baby going 3mph, in a 2mph zone....

• Yours truly has been planning on settling in and supporting a Scientific Node since first looking over Node types. Am a great fan of keeping air-travel to a minimum, so the notion of having airships go between 2 Scientific Metropolises seems reasonable, *if* there are 2.

• To me what is important in variety in the sense that nothing is granted. What I mean is that since Ashes will have open world PvP, that is more than enough for me to fee l that sensation of variety; knowing that PvP ambushes are a real threat. When an NPC whishes me safe travels, his words will carry much more weight since there's been reports of a mercenary guild going around making the roads unsafe.

In short, knowing I could be killed on the way to my destination is exciting/scary/different and important to making travel feel special.