Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Few questions or ideas about nodes and governments

1. Bad government
Military and especially economic nodes election system are designed to allow incompetent or selfish governments. Worse government spots could be bought by foreign infiltrated players and sabotage progression or make the node vulnerable to an attack.
To be clear I think it’s cool but I hope citizen are given other choices than just wait re-elections or move to somewhere else. It would suck if you actively participated to the nodes’ progression since the beginning and feel somewhat emotionally attached to that node.
Can we revolt or destitute the mayor ? Or maybe report to the Monarch who could take actions ?

2. Exile
Can the government or mayor exile a citizen ?

3. Node name
Can the node be named/renamed ?

4. Character nameplates
Somewhat linked to the previous question. Wouldn’t it be more relevant to have the (short) name of your city written next to your name instead of the Guild ? Or have at least an option to identify where you come from.
I think it could heavily influence pvp since even if you enjoy killing players you may not want to kill those who actively help to build up the city you come from.
Same idea : if players attack a caravan going from node X to node Y (trade relations) I’d like to know which node these players come from.

Comments

• I believe the current idea is that you'd have to pay mercenaries to attack the node to raze the city. Which seems rather drastic, to me, just to get rid of a crappy mayor.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My thoughts:
    1: Deal with it. This sort of thing is good, because it gives people realistic motives. Unlike fake goals manufactured by NPCs and quest designers. This is top tier stuff.

2: I hope so. Once again realistic motives, if you get exiled. You might come back to reclaim the land with new friends and a vengeance.

3: I hope not. Players just can't be trusted to name things. See every companies "Name our next product" contest ever.

4: No, less is more. This is big, the less you know about someone. In both games and reality. The more likely you are to ask them. Which starts a conversation, and thus creates a social interaction.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    3: I hope not. Players just can't be trusted to name things. See every companies "Name our next product" contest ever.

And, what exactly is wrong with "Namey McNameface from Nameyland"? HUH?! :D
    daveywavey wrote: »

You and I both know it would be a lot worst than "Namey McNameface from Nameyland".

Not going to give any examples, but I assure you that some nodes would be pure imageboard cringe.
    TVMenSP.png
    daveywavey wrote: »

You and I both know it would be a lot worst than "Namey McNameface from Nameyland".

Not going to give any examples, but I assure you that some nodes would be pure imageboard cringe.

Which would give a reason to get rid of the government and rename. You said there has to be social interaction. What do you answer when a player ask in what city you live ? Node 73 ?
    Jeetoph wrote: »
    Which would give a reason to get rid of the government and rename. You said there has to be social interaction. What do you answer when a player ask in what city you live ? Node 73 ?

Two solutions off the top of my head...

1: The nodes are fixed ahead of time by the DEVs. (The easy option)

2: There is a pool of node names populated by the DEVs that can be selected from by the players. When one name is removed from the pool, another node would not be able to use it. (The more complex, but better option)

No one is saying to name the nodes robotic numbers.

The point is that if we let players choose the names this will happen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKG9lR34dM&ab_channel=InternetHistorian
    TVMenSP.png
  • ShinasoShinaso Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You Will likely choose a name from a premade list
    c1f5df869c3428999290c2954317ec5f.png[/center]

• Shinaso wrote: »
    You Will likely choose a name from a premade list

Totally ok with that
  • The idea of being able to report him to the Monarch sounds fun. But in that case not everyone should be able to report him, maybe only players who are citizens of that node for X days or only someone who contributed X exp for that node.

Knowing where someone is form could come in handy. Maybe it could be part of that "buff" that shows gear stats when you hover over player's nameplate.
  • Yeah on the topic of names, they're predetermined I'm pretty sure. Either we have no say, or there will be a list to choose from.
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • As for the bad mayor concerns, I could see it playing out a lot like frontier history - whoever is biggest and meanest takes charge first, gradually as things develop citizens become increasingly annoyed with their ineptitude, and coalitions form around a shared interest of sensible management.

The singular pvper would be able to run a village by himself, but if it gets to the point where a significant fraction of citizens hate his decisions, he's going to have a rough time holding onto power, and the mod will put someone in charge who ostensibly will run things better.

I also suspect it'll be hard to just run a node totally into the ground - the mayor has a lot of power but not total say over everything that occurs (like I doubt there'll even be a possibility for things like 100% taxes...) You can fail to grow effectively, but reducing a node to ash singlehandedly seems like a stretch.
  • Yours truly also brought this up in a recent thread.

I felt that the best counter-points against such a concern were:

=There is intended to be an element of potential sabotage in the game

=This opens the possibility of Node-level changes, without sieges

=This provides incentive for the citizens of a Node to struggle for/to support a trustworthy mayor

=The Nodes, Cities, and even Metropolises aren't intended to last forever; They shall rise AND fall

I was initially concerned about this as well, given that governments can change/remove buildings placed by former Mayors and governments. Perhaps it's not a bad thing, though? Aye, Military and (especially) Economic Nodes will be susceptible to sabotage by a "bad mayor" - but maybe that's not neccessarily a bad thing? No Metropolis should inherently stand forever; If it can't be brought down from the outside, then perhaps there should be a way to bring it down, from the inside!

As odd as it may sound, Node citizenship might be something that changes for a lot of players every several weeks/few months. We're sure to come across some longer-standing Nodes, but it doesn't feel like a Metropolis is intended to be a permanent fixture, in the world. While many of us are in the mind-set of long-term citizenships to our Nodes and cities, perhaps we shouldn't be?

• 1. you can rebel against a leader in many ways but there are no fast ways as that would take away from the fact that there the most powerful person in the node.

2. yes, you can become enemy of the state and guards will attack you, bounty hunters can hunt you for money, etc.

3. There will be several hundred names for you to choose from but no custom names.

4. guild names may be on players but not nodes.
    1. Bad government
    Military and especially economic nodes election system are designed to allow incompetent or selfish governments. Worse government spots could be bought by foreign infiltrated players and sabotage progression or make the node vulnerable to an attack.
    To be clear I think it’s cool but I hope citizen are given other choices than just wait re-elections or move to somewhere else. It would suck if you actively participated to the nodes’ progression since the beginning and feel somewhat emotionally attached to that node.
    Can we revolt or destitute the mayor ? Or maybe report to the Monarch who could take actions ?

2. Exile
    Can the government or mayor exile a citizen ?

3. Node name
    Can the node be named/renamed ?

4. Character nameplates
    Somewhat linked to the previous question. Wouldn’t it be more relevant to have the (short) name of your city written next to your name instead of the Guild ? Or have at least an option to identify where you come from.
    I think it could heavily influence pvp since even if you enjoy killing players you may not want to kill those who actively help to build up the city you come from.
    Same idea : if players attack a caravan going from node X to node Y (trade relations) I’d like to know which node these players come from.

• daveywavey wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Kill me!
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

As odd as it may sound, Node citizenship might be something that changes for a lot of players every several weeks/few months.

This right here is key.

Players will change nodes. Maybe not every week, but several times a year.

A big part of deciding which node to live in should be in picking a node that has a strong pool of good leaders. Stable guilds that are willing to work together, making it much harder for any one individual to come in and take over. This is the case at least for all non-military nodes, and if you pick a military node you do so under the understanding that leadership of the node is completely unstable.

If you base your node decision solely on node type, level, potential Cleveland location, without giving thought to the strength of the leadership there, then you have no one to blame but yourself if you end up having to leave due to poor leadership.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This has already been commented on by the Sandal Lord. Mayors will be able to select from a list of pre-determined options. What we are still waiting on is if every mayor will be able to change it as they want at each stage, or just the first mayor at level 3. As for player named nodes, that is a no. And there will be a report feature for those that break their TOS guidelines for the items and other signage that can be customized. Including account action. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    4f3c6e922805af62d543dbe01c918e0f.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I want Verra to be better than real life in this way:
    5jJVSvZ.jpg

TVMenSP.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This has already been commented on by the Sandal Lord. Mayors will be able to select from a list of pre-determined options. What we are still waiting on is if every mayor will be able to change it as they want at each stage, or just the first mayor at level 3. As for player named nodes, that is a no. And there will be a report feature for those that break their TOS guidelines for the items and other signage that can be customized. Including account action. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I hope Penisville and Dicktopia make it on to the list of node names.

5jJVSvZ.jpg

My reaction when I saw the image you posted « He wants it to take 24 hours to travel from north to south on mount ? ... oh ! »
    My reaction when I saw the image you posted « He wants it to take 24 hours to travel from north to south on mount ? ... oh ! »

LOL

I am afraid to know the amount of time I have spent traveling in MMOs.
    TVMenSP.png
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited January 2021
    Make a weekly player contest to come up with name to be added to the list.
    Obviously entries like the ones named above wouldn't count.

That's as close as you can get to player named cities. It would also engage the community

5jJVSvZ.jpg

That is a truly wonderful picture. <3
    Warth wrote: »

That's as close as you can get to player named cities. It would also engage the community

A good idea, especially if they did it months before the game launched to get a big pool of names ready.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Warth wrote: »

Excellent idea !
  • Warth wrote: »

Yes!
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »

A good idea, especially if they did it months before the game launched to get a big pool of names ready.

I actually really love this idea. Imagine seeing a name you or your friends suggested actually being used. That'd be so cool.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

5jJVSvZ.jpg

Amazing!!

This is a huge problem in countries that were colonized - when the government asked for street names in foreign languages and the locals "got creative" since the colonizing governments didn't know better.

But to think GB herself did the same!
    I wish I were deep and tragic