Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will Clerics Need to Choose a Religion to Begin With/Keep a Religion?

It's been stated that you don't need to choose a Religion at all, if you don't want to. You'll also be able to change your Religion, though you'd lose your progression in that Religion, if you do so.

My question is: Will specifically Clerics need to have a Religion, at all times?

I know they're to be the primary healing class, though Bards will also have some healing. However, I wasn't sure from the class's name and couldn't find anything previously posted about this. The term 'cleric' in-and-of-itself refers to a higher-tier practitioner of a Religion, so yours truly felt it pertinent to ask.

The Wiki for AoC's Clerics doesn't specifically address this, at this time.

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Good question.
    Is the source of their healing power divine in nature or just magic like the mage?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    sarkadosarkado Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I doubt we'll see a deeper conversation regarding this from Steven until at least Alpha 2ish. Interesting question though, but my thought would be no? We just don't know what having a religion even does unless its more so for "RP" type purposes.
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    edited January 2021
    Religions are definitely more than just for RP. I would assume that you don't HAVE to choose a religion but you'll miss out on all of the benefits/perks they have to offer. I don't see how there would be any benefit to not choosing a religion... the player would just be RPing an athiest rebel.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    sarkado wrote: »
    I doubt we'll see a deeper conversation regarding this from Steven until at least Alpha 2ish. Interesting question though, but my thought would be no? We just don't know what having a religion even does unless its more so for "RP" type purposes.

Actually, there was an AMA Steven had done on July the 26th of 2020, and he did address some of the rewards/systems Religion will have. If you'd like to check it out, the AMA's (Ask Me Anything) and the Q&A's they have on the monthly update videos are an excellent source for the latest info!

Some of the items he mentioned was the "highest" rank each religion will grant, specific titles for accomplishments in religion, and the function of high-tier religious members in Sieges, if there is a matching temple in the city.

Some good stuff!
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi Tyranthraxus

Since we don't have a specific answer for this and it's mostly speculation I would recommend asking this in the upcoming Developer Livestream Q&A. You can add your question to the thread here for it: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/48089/next-live-stream-q-a-submission-friday-january-29-2021-at-11am-pst#latest

I'm going to close this thread now but if you have any other questions please feel free to reach out again.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.