Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dueling (and beyond)

CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
We know there will be 1v1 dueling that two players can consent to and neither will have any penalties. This is a good thing. However, I’d say it’s absolutely required that it be expanded to a full party vs a full party able to consent. Let me tell you why.

A couple years ago when Black Desert first launched and everyone thought it was a good game (haha it wasn’t, just a shallow game but with good combat) my guild would gather every single week in one of the various arenas in the open world. These were not instanced arenas, they were just part of the world and each city had one.

So anyway, we’d have our Friday Night Arena and we’d have a huge turnout every time and everyone would watch from the benches as all sorts of bouts took place. We had 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 3v1 (you could remove gear to be weaker to balance a 3v1 fight, don’t worry about it), 5v5, etc.

I already know there will be instanced PvP arenas in the game. That’s not the same. I want the 1v1 duel feature expanded to allow several consenting players to all participate in a duel at once, anywhere they want. Not in a public instanced arena with matchmaking. On our terms.

TLDR: expand the 1v1 duel system (click on player, invite to duel) to allow parties to duel each other or even have a large free-for-all. Don’t suggest guild vs guild or instanced arenas please. That’s not what I’m talking about, read the whole post to get it.

Comments

• Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I mean, Corruption isn't going to be such a huge thing that you couldn't just walk out to the middle of no-where and fight it out anyways.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Seems reasonable enough to me.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Maezriel wrote: »
    I mean, Corruption isn't going to be such a huge thing that you couldn't just walk out to the middle of no-where and fight it out anyways.

There is still a death penalty, even if it's halved it would probably be nice to be able to practice without gaining negative exp and a repair bill.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This sounds like an amazing idea. With this, I will actually be able to come up with proper comps for real fights through training....and it would be fun!
  • Options
    This suggestion seems to have no downside and would fit great with my personal understanding of guild building and shade-throwing :D
    I hope it gets the recognition it deserves and ends up in the game... I've had enough karma for smacking around clanmates in a remote location south of Ant's Nest to last me a lifetime, thanks.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Agreed, it is important to give players as many tools as possible to have fun. Allowing group vs group duals at all sizes can only really benefit the entire player base.

I think I also remember hearing some talk of allowing players to put money in a pot an bet on the winner. Something you can do with people you know, no problem. It is a little harder to rely on bets with players you don't know. Having the game facilitate it like a trade would be nice.

I only bring that up because small group duals for bets is a good time, but it requires trust, and a group duals system. Things often missing in many MMOs.

Love the idea.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Being able to place small bets on these duels would be cool Vhaeyne, I hope that also gets added!