Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Graphics / GPU

I'm a casual and am hoping to get some guidance from people who really know what's up.

Is an RTX 2070 going to give me good performance in Ashes for the next 3-5 years?

And is 16GB RAM sufficient, or will I want 32GB?

I'm looking at an Alienware laptop.

I never bought my new laptop when I posted a similar question about a different GPU last Fall. My current system is in dire need of replacement. I wanted to wait as close as possible to launch to buy a new laptop, but I just can't wait anymore.

Thank you all for any guidance you can offer.

Comments

• TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    We don't know what the final specs will be. Game is still years away from release so don't expect the final specs any time soon. What they have said is they want the game to be playable on hardware that is 5 years old at the time of release. These are the current Alpha 1 specs, but they will increase as we get closer to launch.https://ashesofcreation.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048506033-What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-Alpha-
    nI17Ea4.png
  • I upgraded my PC a couple of years ago, and I am now waiting until this is out before upgrading again (as my PC will probably be on that 5 years then... :) )
  • TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited January 2021
    Talents wrote: »
    We don't know what the final specs will be. Game is still years away from release so don't expect the final specs any time soon. What they have said is they want the game to be playable on hardware that is 5 years old at the time of release. These are the current Alpha 1 specs, but they will increase as we get closer to launch.https://ashesofcreation.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048506033-What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-Alpha-

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I should have mentioned that I'm aware that we're still at least a year from launch, and aware of Intrepid's comment about 5 y/o hardware.

I guess what I'm asking is this:
    Based on the experience of the serious gamers, considering we're still a year from launch, do you view the RTX 2070 and 16GB of RAM a good choice, or do you see that as likely to leave me with performance issues? What about the RTX 2060?

Edit: I'll add that I fully plan to purchase a package with beta access, so I'll probably start playing before official launch.
  • I'd highly recommend you wait until late feb at least when the new laptops arrive. The Nvidia 3000s series GPUs will ship with those laptops and you should see a leap in performance.

In any regard I'd always recommend a desktop PC just because the performance is so much better.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd highly recommend you wait until late feb at least when the new laptops arrive. The Nvidia 3000s series GPUs will ship with those laptops and you should see a leap in performance.

In any regard I'd always recommend a desktop PC just because the performance is so much better.

I recently had to upgrade my laptop. I wanted to wait as long as possible so the price of a RTX30XX laptop was as good as possible, but a hardware failure forced my hand. I now own a laptop with a RTX2060 in it. My desktop is a fair bit better, but after seeing my laptop not have a problem with Cyberpunk 2077, I have full confidence I wont have a problem with AOC even after a few years.

But, I do agree with you. I would encourage OP to wait for RTX 30XX.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Looks like you should be fine. Most MMOs are designed to cope with players who can't afford top-notch hardware, and so the requirements are set a little lower than most games.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Thank you for the help everyone, much appreciated
  • While a good GPU is ideal arent most games more CPU intensive?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Haemosu wrote: »
    While a good GPU is ideal arent most games more CPU intensive?

That depends on the genre of game you are playing.

For MMO's, no, GPU > CPU, though obviously you can't run a game on a RTX30XX card paired with a 486DX2. If you are playing games like the Civilization series (other than 5, which is an oddity in this regard), then you would want CPU almost exclusively, with GPU being nice, rather than necessary.
  • CakeBanditJrCakeBanditJr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can almost guarantee that you WILL be able to run it with a 2070 BUT highly doubt it will be on high settings. I would guess that a 2080ti will be minimum for high/ultra.
  • BlandmarrowBlandmarrow Member
    edited January 2021
    Haemosu wrote: »
    While a good GPU is ideal arent most games more CPU intensive?

GPU > CPU in most scenarios when it comes to games.

And as Noaani mentioned, pairing a high end component with a low end one will bottleneck your system most of the time. Again, this depends on the task the PC is performing.