Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

@ the devs

ashoneashone Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I really dislike how my question was classified as spam and deleted

Comments

• Options
    You broke my heart.
  • Options
    I'm sure this message will get straight to them and they'll apologise as soon as they can.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I doubt it highly but at least now. they are aware. I am aggro ed at them atm.
  • Options
    Hi there friend! Our moderation team received a multitude of reports throughout the weekend that there were identical messages being posted in the Q&A thread, and the exact duplicates were removed accordingly :smiley: as much as possible we like to encourage that folks share their unique questions in the thread, so we can get the chance to answer a variety of them! If you like a particular question and would like to see us answer it, please feel free to use that lovely "Like" button under any post!

Please keep in mind that we choose the questions for the stream randomly each month, rather than being based on how many likes or different iterations of the same question there are - that way more folks feel like they have an opportunity to get their questions answered, and it's more fair to everyone in the community! <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    DargronDargron Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    ashone wrote: »

Be honest. It wasn't your question at all, was it?

If your question was classified as spam and deleted, it probably means you were one of the many, many Jahlon zombies who were just copy/pasting his question and trying to bully the developers into giving his question priority over all others by spamming the thread with it.

If you are angry, try to think about all the other people in the thread who are trying to get their questions answered, and how they feel about having their questions buried in a sea of spam.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    ashone wrote: »

If you really think about it, your spam was burned into ashes to allow others to form a new creation.....from those ashes. Get it?
  • Options
    EloElo Member
    edited January 2021
    So how about they just answer the question, problem solved. (on stream or off stream, either way is fine)

I will kindly say that the following seems a bit contradictory: :)
    If you like a particular question and would like to see us answer it, please feel free to use that lovely "Like" button under any post!

Please keep in mind that we choose the questions for the stream randomly each month, rather than being based on how many likes

• Options
    Elo wrote: »
    So how about they just answer the question, problem solved. (on stream or off stream, either way is fine)

If you like a particular question and would like to see us answer it, please feel free to use that lovely "Like" button under any post!

Please keep in mind that we choose the questions for the stream randomly each month, rather than being based on how many likes

Giving the devs an ultimatum is different than "just answering the question" ... especially when the timeline for the question is measured in years.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Because it sets a terrible precedent, promoting that if enough people spam a question it'll have to be answered.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Now I'm curious, what was 'the question'?
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Something, something, 50k people too many, something, something. @Noaani
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Something, something, 50k people too many, something, something. Noaani

Ah thanks.

That seems to me to be near the definition of a question that can't be answered for at least a few years.

So yeah, Intrepid attempting to answer that question now would set the precedent that they can be bullied in to answering questions, and even then, the most one could hope for in terms of an answer would be "we have to see how things go".
  • Options

So, they have an impartial method of selecting questions for the stream. But, they still find it useful from a player-feedback perspective to see where the community's sense of urgency lies.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's not like Toast isn't going to answer the question.
    She always compiles a list of replies to nearly every question in the QnA - whether or not they get answered on stream. And I'll bet she'll have an answer for this question too!

As for the "contradiction" about pressing "like" - liking questions DOES help Toast know which questions the community are particularly interested in for when she compiles her answers. She's just not guaranteeing that it will make it on stream.

Are you actually interested in answers or is it more about getting the question on to stream?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    MorekMorek Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The question in question (haha) was "How are you going to support 50,000 registered accounts on a server when only 10,000 can be logged into said server at once.... especially during peak times when everyone is trying to get on?"
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Morek wrote: »
    The question in question (haha) was "How are you going to support 50,000 registered accounts on a server when only 10,000 can be logged into said server at once.... especially during peak times when everyone is trying to get on?"

There is never a time when everyone is trying to get on.

Since Intrepid have staff that have actually worked on MMO's, and likely understand when people log in to games better than us players do, we should maybe just make the assumption that they know what they are doing here.
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    TBH I'm really happy I came to the forum late and all the duplicates were cleaned up, but I can also see how simply disregarding them as spam would be disheartening. I am really thankful for Toast taking the time to answer soooooo many (all?) questions after the livestream, but if questions are chosen randomly, and everyone wants to use their one question to ask the exact same thing Jahlon, shouldn't they be allowed to stack the deck in their favor? I mean if there were dozens of people interested in hearing the answer to his question, and only I care about my sad little question on page 6ish buried in the forum, it makes sense to answer the "Jahlon zombies" doesn't it? Total credit to @dargron for giving the group the name.
  • Options
    but if questions are chosen randomly, and everyone wants to use their one question to ask the exact same thing Jahlon, shouldn't they be allowed to stack the deck in their favor? I mean if there were dozens of people interested in hearing the answer to his question, and only I care about my sad little question on page 6ish buried in the forum, it makes sense to answer the "Jahlon zombies" doesn't it?

No. He's no more important than the rest of us, just cos he can regurgitate anything that Intrepid tell us. And do you really think Toast is going to copy down every single occurrence of the same question, or do you think she'll just treat them all as one single question for the purposes of the random questioning? All they were doing was needlessly and maliciously spamming the thread.
  • Options
    I mean if there were dozens of people interested in hearing the answer to his question, and only I care about my sad little question on page 6ish buried in the forum, it makes sense to answer the "Jahlon zombies" doesn't it?
    The questions that make the most sense to answer are the ones thatfit the following two criteria.

1, is not a question already answered and easily looked up either on these forums or the wiki, and
    2, is a question they have an answer for that they are reasonably confident in.

If a question doesn't fit these two criteria, it doesn't matter who wants an answer, it isn't worth spending the time to answer when that time could instead be spent answering a question that fits the above criteria.
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    No. He's no more important than the rest of us, just cos he can regurgitate anything that Intrepid tell us. And do you really think Toast is going to copy down every single occurrence of the same question, or do you think she'll just treat them all as one single question for the purposes of the random questioning? All they were doing was needlessly and maliciously spamming the thread.
    I definitely agree that Jahlon is no more important than anyone else, but I'm not sure if I agree that whatever collective banded together to support his case should be ignored as spam. For what it's worth, I thought the question was one I'd like answered, but TBH I have no idea how Toast and the rest of the team picks questions. It could be a D&D style dice roll for all I know.
    Noaani wrote: »
    The questions that make the most sense to answer are the ones thatfit the following two criteria.

1, is not a question already answered and easily looked up either on these forums or the wiki, and
    2, is a question they have an answer for that they are reasonably confident in.

If a question doesn't fit these two criteria, it doesn't matter who wants an answer, it isn't worth spending the time to answer when that time could instead be spent answering a question that fits the above criteria.

I 100% agree with you @Noaani it makes no sense to select questions that are already answered or cannot be answered at this time. I'm just saying if the questions are truly chosen randomly from the list of all possible questions, the zombie tactic makes sense. Whatever the case, I'm happy that the odds of my question about character names has a better shot at being answered now!
  • Options
    I definitely agree that Jahlon is no more important than anyone else, but I'm not sure if I agree that whatever collective banded together to support his case should be ignored as spam.

So, stick a 'Like' on the question and leave it at that. Don't flood the Q&A section with duplicates.

I know Toast said "Please only post ONE question below", but they took it rather too literally...!
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited January 2021
    I definitely agree that Jahlon is no more important than anyone else, but I'm not sure if I agree that whatever collective banded together to support his case should be ignored as spam.

So, stick a 'Like' on the question and leave it at that. Don't flood the Q&A section with duplicates.

I know Toast said "Please only post ONE question below", but they took it rather too literally...!

Unfortunately it has already been stated that the "like" count does nothing. If the moderators want change the rules into a question voting system then they just need to let us know in advance. Then I'll decide if I can find a better question than mine before using my vote.
    I'm amazed by the anger from people who appear to not like a group of individuals thinking that Jahlon had a very good point that they would like to hear answered.

[General audience, not specifically Daveywavey]
    I can agree to to disagree with someone politely and respectfully. I hope that this is a standard we can all adhere to.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    I'm amazed by the anger from people who appear to not like a group of individuals thinking that Jahlon had a very good point that they would like to hear answered.

We're not against the question. It was a reasonable enough question. We're simply against the strong-arm tactics of trying to force it above everybody else, and the spamming of what is already a very busy forum thread.
  • Options
    EloElo Member
    I'm sure all question-askers have the best of intentions. They love the vision of the game and express concerns because they want it to succeed.

I think the real issue is in turning the question asking into a contest. My opinion/advice for IS: in the future just scan through and select those questions which you feel will be the most meaningful or significant for the most people, or insightful questions that jump out at you. No need to make it random. I'm sure you can also anticipate lots of questions/answers that people would like to know.

Just my opinion, keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2021
    McMackMuck wrote: »

We're not against the question. It was a reasonable enough question. We're simply against the strong-arm tactics of trying to force it above everybody else, and the spamming of what is already a very busy forum thread.

Exactly, @daveywavey.

Asking a good question is one thing.

Holding the devs and community managers hostage until it's answered is another.

Now ... how do I join the "Jahlon's Zombies" faction again?? ;)
  • Options
    palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You want to "exploit" or game the system, feel free to do so. Doesn't mean they'll take a liking to it.