Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make Grinding Great Again

Hey Everyone,

So i played my fair share of MMO's and one thing i hate is area's with just a few mobs or a quest that require you to kill a certain mob and you end up running around for 20 minutes because there are only a few mobs spawning here and there and you basically have to wait until they spawn. What i like sometime though is to mindlessly grind a mob for an item or for gold if given the opportunity.

What i hope for Ashes at least is that the area's are well supplied with enough mobs ofc but that there are also area's where i can grind if i want to, to make some income. I know that there are people who would rather grind mobs then to bother with aspects such as crafting or anything else. I know that Ashes might not be a game like that but i do hope that some area's will give that opportunity.

Having grinding area's also incentivizes PvP combat and can make the game feel more alive. For example if you know a certain spot is highly contested then you would always be able to come there to have some fun with PvP.

Now i would like to know your opinion as well.

Would you like to see grinding spots where you can farm endlessly and are able to make some good gold?

or

Would you like to see no grinding spots and rather have area's well populated?

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hunting_grounds

I don't like to wait between pulls.

I like to see how much gold I can make in one hour, then try and beat it the next hour.

Which ever system allows that. If I have to be in a group and expect heavy PvP to make a lot of money. I will do that too.

Greed is eternal.
    PalHG0S.jpg
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I'd like it to be well populated, but not to the point that I can't run around a bit without having to stop every few seconds to fight whatever's following me. For levelling, I've always enjoyed finding the right area and going cuh-razy, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of choice.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I like to see how much gold I can make in one hour, then try and beat it the next hour.

Which ever system allows that. If I have to be in a group and expect heavy PvP to make a lot of money. I will do that too.

Greed is eternal.

Yes! exactly this, i like the competitive aspect to it and being able to keep setting your own records of getting gold, if its going to be exactly like that, i will be more then satisfied
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I third this. My buddy and I have been playing MMOs since v1 runescape and we play the same way. more pulls as a challenge. when games also allow you to get materials and gold if you kill more per hour it's a double win for us.

Nothing beats running by someone with a train of mobs and knowing they're thinking "that dude is so dead" and then getting back to your group and slaying the entire train. The mobs pop with goodies like a sexy Piñata and you heal up to go again.

Also, I drill my rotations into my muscle memory when I can mindlessly grind away. I'm already going to try to train somewhere to memorize them but with "grinding" i get XP, Drops, and Gold. Honestly I loved grinding and it became such a taboo subject with the modern "guided tour" quest system implored by MMOs today.

Grinding does encourage bots for sure, but then do something about them and create a system for that. Don't just remove meaningful grinding as a lazy way of "fixing" bots.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hate when an area actually "feels" under populated mob-wise. But on the other hand I'm not a fan of super compact areas of mobs where it seems forced either (imagining the BDO grinds where I'd dash around on a set route because there were just "clumps" of dense mob spawns).

Not really a fan of intentionally making something a "grinding" spot on the design front, would rather a player just realize/happen to like a certain area/mob they can kill. But the questions on whether I'd rather see grinding spot vs populated area I don't understand why they can't be one in the same. If an area is well populated it should be able to become a grinding spot, if the idea though is the BDO clump and pump style then no thanks.
  • Options
    I enjoy the simple grind for leveling up, in most RPGs. I would be pleased if there were multiple methods of xp gain in AOC (like questing, killing, achievements, node-based, etc), and solo grind/dungeon grind/party grind would all be welcome, in my book.