Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Exploration and Mapping

RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I've gone down the rabbit hole that is the wiki and there is so much that I'm loving. One question I have that I haven't found an answer to yet is whether or not players will be able to create Maps of their own to sell to other adventurers that would lift the fog of war in an area they may not have explored yet.

I did read about Treasure Hunting and the maps involved aren't really about displaying Points of Interest from non-treasure related things. I'm more interested in an information broker aspect, selling maps of an area that might list things like dungeons, nodes, creatures, etc. With each world server being unique there will (hopefully) be a lot less metagaming and more people looking to other players in-game for information on things like boss-tactics or exploration.

Will players, preferably those in the scribe professions, be able to make detailed maps? If not, is that something that you would like to see? What do you all think.
"Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In the old days there were rumours of map makers and map sellers. However, I haven't heard anything about it in recent months. At first, we used to joke about making fake maps and maps that would send you into ambushes. I can't be sure if the map making idea has been scrapped or not.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    In the old days there were rumours of map makers and map sellers. However, I haven't heard anything about it in recent months. At first, we used to joke about making fake maps and maps that would send you into ambushes. I can't be sure if the map making idea has been scrapped or not.

You know I didn't really think about potentially making fake maps, that would be kind of fun/silly occassionally. Lure a bunch of people to a "Fungeon" filled with PKers.
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be rather cool to be an explorer, making maps as you go, finding hidden troves and transferring the knowledge. There are many cool facets available in Ashes - or there should be, and it is difficult to settle on one particular strand. Each to their own and may your journeys be bountiful.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2021
    It's a fun idea for launch, @Rhuric.

But, Intrepid has said the game map and nodes are pretty much static (even with unique servers).

That means, once independent and online maps are made from enterprising Ashes fans, there won't be much need for in-game maps (other than getting from point A to B ).

That's my take at least ...
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There is the scribe profession.
    I really think that things like maps should be equippable.
    Scribes would be able to make maps for Nodes zones and you could then use them to unlock it on your map.
    HIgher level scribes could then add in features like more details or spawn points for mob groups and their levels etc.
    a6XEiIf.gif